PDA

View Full Version : LAX/rental advice needed

hawaiimom
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I am arriving at 7am on Delta. I've got two kids, two car seats, two single strollers, a big suitcase and a carry on and my dad is coming with me.

Do I:
- leave them at baggage claim while I go get the rental car at Alamo.
- put everything on the Alamo bus and go together to get the car.
- have my dad take one kid in stroller to the United baggage claim to wait for my mom whose flight arrives at 9am. I guess I would still have to take the luggage and one kid on the Alamo bus unless the Delta and United claim areas are next to each other.

Please help, anyone familiar with LAX. The rental car companies are pretty far, right?

Bytebear
10-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I would suggest having one adult go and get on a shuttle to the car rental place, pickup the car, and have everyone wait at the curb for him to come back with the car. If you have cell phones he can call when he gets to the curb.

I have found that if you pull your car in front of the chaos of the loading/unloading areas you can park at the white curb and sit with little chaos around you. Everyone tries to pull in right away, so just go past the crowd and pull over.

Bytebear
10-13-2006, 03:10 PM
One disadvantage to this idea is that you will have to go back to the rental place to put additional drivers on the "driver" list, as you have to be there in person to be put on the list. You can always add drivers later too. Check with the rental car company for specifics.

higcat
10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
We sent my husband off by himself to find the car rental place last time we landed at LAX and am happy we did. We had 4 adults and 3 kids between the 2 families and it would have been a nightmare to drag all of us to the rental company. My husband thought it was a pain driving back to get us, but that was mostly as he didn't want to be driving at all. When Mum, daughter and I go in November, we'll all probably walk to the car rental place as there isn't as many people or bags.

kiwifuz
10-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Ugh LAX car rental.... :|

If I am correct, Alamo & National are together at LAX also? if so it's a bit of a ride time/distance wise to get there & back.

Well either way, the off-site rental places by LAX are such a drive it's horrendous. But what can you do I guess?

I agree about the additional driver thing, but if that doesn't apply to you then no worries.

Personally I'd leave everyone & everything at the airport, shuttle over, drive back, then pick everything up. I just think it'll be less of a hassle. Plus those shuttle buses don't usually have too much space for bags & car seats & things to be stored so unless you're the only ones, or one of 2 parties on board it might be a real pain. Just my opinion though.

momuvseven
10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Make sure you have a way to communicate. Nothing worse than one person waiting and not knowing why it is taking you so long.

Depending on Dad's ability it may be best to take one child with you. He might get in a bind if he is trying to watch the stuff and one needs a diaper change, potty break or decides to wander off. You know how it gets with toddlers. Even a short wait can seem an eternity.