PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou & other dining options:

atrder9901
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
We were thinking that it would be great to have a nice sit down meal during our trip and we were thinking about the Blue Bayou. I read somewhere else recently that the BB will no longer offer a kids menu. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, if we were to call in advance for reservations, do they charge a "fee" to hold the reservation for you?

If BB no longer offers a kid menu, what other places inside the park would be good for both kids and adults? On our last trip to DL we ate lunch in Tomorrowland, and the bill still came to $65 for 4 slices of pizza, drinks, and chips!! So we figure for that kind of $$$$ we might as well have a decent sit down meal!!!!

adriennek
10-11-2006, 04:30 PM
They offer a kid's menu, it's just that some people's children didn't care for it.

From MousePlanet's Blue Bayou Information page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG401) -

As of June 26, 2006...

Children's Menu

Mickey’s Cheesy Macaroni — Baked noodles with creamy cheddar cheese sauce. $6.99
Citrus Chicken Drummettes — Marinated and baked drummettes atop rice noodles and marinara sauce. $6.99
PB&J Monte Cristo — traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwich, lightly fried and served with berry coulis. $6.99
Rib-eye Steak — a 5-ounce ribeye steak with Blue Bayou potatoes. $10.99

ETA: My children had the PB&J MC at Cafe Orleans and enjoyed it.

Adrienne

atrder9901
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the response. It was a huge help!!! Unfortunately, BB is pretty much knocked out of the running. I thought that I read somewhere that BB offered mini corn dogs and mickey shaped chicken nuggets, but I'm pretty sure it was on a older site. Unfortunately I have picky kids, and I dont think they would eat anything on the BB kids menu.

So, any dining suggestions?

adriennek
10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
If you can get a priority seating, Carnation Cafe on Main Street is a nice little sit-down restaurant. There's a make your own PB&J thing that my son had once and still talks about. They brought things like marshmallows and chocolate chips, not just "pb&j".

My kids like to make their own pizza at Storyteller's Cafe - but that's inside the Grand Californian Hotel, so you have to leave the park. Again, I'd recommend calling ahead for a priority seating/PS/reservation.

Adrienne

joannabanana
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
On our trip next week, we are eating at the BB for the first time. Can't wait! Woo!

Disneymademoiselle
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Just what every child wants, a 5-ounce ribeye steak;)

nmjohnston874
10-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Don't waste your money. This is my review from our experience on Oct. 3:

To begin with, I have to say we were VERY disappointed in the BB. We went there Oct. 3 for my birthday lunch on Tuesday. It started out well, got a waterside table in just a few minutes although they were crowded. No one in the boats shouted at us and there were no screaming kids in the restaurant. The waitress was right there and took our drink and appetizer orders. When she returned, she took our lunch orders of prime rib for my wife and seafood jambalaya for me, then disappeared never to be seen again. After about 30 minutes a waiter brought us the wrong order of Monte Cristos. He returned about 15 minutes later with the correct order. I tasted my wife’s prime rib, and I have had better roast beef, dry and tough. The carne adovado at Ranchos Del Zacolo was more moist and tender. My jambalaya was okay, nothing special. After the waiter took away the dishes, we waited 20 minutes before he returned to ask about dessert, which we were going to order – I wanted to try the cookie boat – but we were so angry we declined. I even declined my complimentary birthday chocolate pudding dessert. Our tab came to $80. certainly not worth it. To make matters worse, we were seated next to where they deposit the dirty dishes and had to listen to that the entire time. What five star restaurant deposits dirty dishes in the dining room?

The Real Cinderella
10-12-2006, 07:29 AM
I have eaten at the BB numerous times--most recently only a few weeks ago--and have always loved it, always had a wonderful experience. The atmosphere can't be beat. I'm sorry you had such an awful experience, Johnston, but perhaps it was just an off day?

I wouldn't hesitate to go again. In my opinion, it is the most peaceful place in Disneyland.

tod
10-12-2006, 11:25 AM
On our trip next week, we are eating at the BB for the first time. Can't wait! Woo!

Please let us know what you it was like. There is considerable controversy around here about the place since the last rehab, and new opinions are always welcome.

--t
still on the fence, but leaning against going

wabby1
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
If you can swing it, I would recommend a "waterfront" table at the BB. The boats from Pirates going by, the sound of the banjo from the guy on the porch...off in the distance hearing the pirate skull warn people...the dark....I just love the atmosphere there. Have fun!

CariBelle
10-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I haven't been back since the refurb, but have PS for the 21st and I'mvery excited :D

DorisZ
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
We ate at the BB on Oct.5. We had reservations, but still had to wait 30 minutes. The wait for us was worth it.

We were seated at a waterfront table--first time in a long time. I had the Mahi-Mahi, I could have eaten a whole plate of the shrimp on top. DH & DS had the prime rib and enjoyed it as much as I did my fish.

I used my Disney reward dollars so it was not too painful, but since we had dessert, the bill was quite high. I would eat there again next year, however, if I save up enough reward $'s.

I think it's expensive, but it's part of the trip for us. In the recent past we would go in and just order soup, salad, and dessert. The new menu makes that impossible. But even at the new prices, it didn't seem that the BB was having any problem packing people in.

I had to laugh because one of my co-workers told her husband that I was saving up to go to the BB. He innocently asked, "how expensive could it be". They got their answer from me when I got back.

MrHobbes
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Are there two parts to the BB restaurant? Some friends went in Aug and said they ate at the BB and watched Fantasmic at the same time with an excellent view. I knew about the inside seating but is there outside seating as well ??

Andrew
10-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Are there two parts to the BB restaurant? Some friends went in Aug and said they ate at the BB and watched Fantasmic at the same time with an excellent view. I knew about the inside seating but is there outside seating as well ??
They probably ate at the Cafe Orleans, which has outside seating and has views of the Rivers of America.

tonytone
10-16-2006, 09:10 AM
In my opinion, it is the most peaceful place in Disneyland.
Not if you're seated next to where they bring the dirty dishes to... ;)

nmjohnston874--I can sympathize w/ you regarding your seating arrangement; when we were there this past September, we also requested and got a waterside table...but based on the description of your seating location, we were seated at the opposite end of the waterside table area--namely, the tables (we needed two since there were ten of us in our party) right next to the area where they dispense the fountain drinks. Not nearly as noisy as being seated next to the dirty dish area, but at the same time not that much better a location either.

Micki0624
10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Go to Cafe Orleans. Great food and a lower price. They have a kids menu and great food!