PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs in Anaheim

Pages : [1] 2

drjones
10-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Local news KTLA in LA, reported a lady, on vacation at DL was attacked by bedbugs at the Marriot hotel across Harbor. Her and her sons were severely bitten hundreds of times and woke up with the sheets stained with their own blood. The news also reported that bedbugs are fairly common. So does that mean that other local hotels have them to?

Did anyone else hear of this?

Andrew
10-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Ew.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Same has been said about GCH.

potzbie
10-10-2006, 10:28 PM
The local NBC (ch. 4) 11:00 pm news likewise mentioned the story.

I caught some snippets:
"...two months ago [was the night of the biting event] ... tests by animal control were negative [for bed bugs] ..."

In my opinion, the manager of the Marriott would have taken action immediately, and not allowed the status to continue. So, I would not worry.

In fact, in theory, a good hotel which takes action quickly will be the preferred hotel to use, to ensure a fresh treatment for such pests. The heightened awareness might turn out to be a good thing. :)

Disnerd
10-11-2006, 05:21 AM
One family's vacation last summer turned into a bloody bedbug nightmare after a Mexican mother and two sons awoke to find themselves covered with bites during a stay at the Fairfield Inn Anaheim Disneyland Resort in California, according to a lawsuit filed yesterday in New York State Supreme Court.

http://www.nysun.com/article/41358

These little critters seem to be popping up all over the Resort district. :eek:

stan4d_steph
10-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Bedbugs can be brought in on another guest's clothing or luggage, so it's always a possibility that you might be unlucky enough to stay in the room after that person.

RStar
10-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Or perhaps the family brought them with them from Mexico? Not sure what the life span is, if it's possible they could do that much damage that quickly.

What's a hotel to do? Do they all treat the beds on a regular bassis? Is it safe to sleep in a bed sprayed with pestisides regularly?

I'm glad I don't travel much.......

DisneyDustin22
10-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Or perhaps the family brought them with them from Mexico?

We should call the Orkin man and have him spray the border. :)

For bugs, not people! Before you all start bashing me on this thread for something else. ;)

SANDYMARIE
10-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Ewe, ewe and EWE!!

stan4d_steph
10-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Ewe, ewe and EWE!!Uh oh. Now we have an ovine invasion.

kjhgarden
10-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Yikes, we will be at the Marriot Residence Inn starting tomorrow night for 4 nights. My skin is already crawling. We will check for bedbugs first thing!!!!

SANDYMARIE
10-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Uh oh. Now we have an ovine invasion.

Needed to lighten things up!! :D
TTFN

tod
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Or perhaps the family brought them with them from Mexico? Not sure what the life span is, if it's possible they could do that much damage that quickly.

If the family brought them in, they would certainly have been aware of them and blaming the hotel would be a serious scam.

Considering the itinerant nature of Disneyland-area hotels and motels -- people come in from all over the world, stay a few days, and then split -- I would guess that some other guests brought them in, probably inadvertently...

--t

Rhiannon8404
10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
probably inadvertently...
Well, hopefully not deliberately... ;)

crazi4dlr
10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
terrorism by bedbugs?????;) :D

Abigail's Uncle
10-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I think we're placing altogether too much blame on the insects. At California Adventure I learned it's tough to be a bug.

Still, next time you're on the Haunted Mansion you should beware of Itch-hiking ghosts.

Sorry, I can't stop.

hlbtimes2
10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
There have been lots of bedbug reports popping up lately. First was GC, then Candy Cane, now these reports. Seems as if there is a little epidemic going on. The good news is, they dont carry disease. They will cause itchy bumps but are not really considered dangerous. Gross yes, dangerous no.

SANDYMARIE
10-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I think we're placing altogether too much blame on the insects. At California Adventure I learned it's tough to be a bug.

Still, next time you're on the Haunted Mansion you should beware of Itch-hiking ghosts.

Sorry, I can't stop.

You're hilarious!!:D

MermaidHair
10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
seriously folks, does anyone know if there is anything you can do to protect yourself from bedbugs? Are they visible? Do they hide when the lights are on? How would you know BEFORE you got bitten?

Thanks for any advice.

stan4d_steph
10-11-2006, 11:18 AM
seriously folks, does anyone know if there is anything you can do to protect yourself from bedbugs? Are they visible? Do they hide when the lights are on? How would you know BEFORE you got bitten?Check out this link for info (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/).

MermaidHair
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Steph! More info than I ever imagined. ew:p

eryn
10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
WOW! That was something I never would have expected! It's kinda funny that I happened upon this today. I was just talking with my Papa last night, who grew up in California, Big Ben and Susanville, and he was talking about having bedbugs. Every spring they would take the mattress's outside and scrub the coils with coal oil to kill the bugs. He didnt say much more than that cause I get to creepy crawly!

rosie
10-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Uh oh. Now we have an ovine invasion.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

mowsluver
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I was planning a trip to VA Beach earlier this year (around Labor Day) and found out that there were a number of hotels with bedbug problems! It made the local news there too.

I didn't make the trip and I have to say, I am not totally unhappy that I didn't get to go!

crrees
10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Uhh...what exactly is a bed bug? i hate to sound dumb, and ive always heard the nighttime riddle, but ive never actually seena bed bug.

"stained with their own blood"...sounds like a horror movie