PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass Kiosks

Pages : [1] 2

Bytebear
10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
This saturday the park was extremely busy. We took advantage of Fastpass. I found that our group had to run from one side of the park to the other to get our passes. First we got Haunted Mansion at 10:20, then we went on Splash Mountain, then instead of wasting time actually going on Haunted Mansion we headed to Tomorrow land and got Space Mountain 11:15. Then we did Buzz Lightyear and headed back to Haunted Mansion. After that we got passes for Indy and headed to Tomorrowland again.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have generic kiosks scattered around the park for Fastpass rather than machines at each attraction? This way, I can choose the attraction I want without actually going over to it. It would have saved us a lot of walking.

Doug
10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Indeed, I agree! Just have them sitting around the park, and they would be 1 machine, where you select the ride you want, insert your pass/ticket, and it would spit out the FP, assuming you are eligible....

Not like DLR is into helping out in the quest experience dept, I mean, where are the easy entrances like they have at WDW?

stan4d_steph
10-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Providing people with too many choices would inevitably lead to longer lines due to guests not knowing how to operate the machines. Right now it's just about as simple as they can make it, and people still can't figure out which way to put the ticket into the machine.

DisneyDustin22
10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Providing people with too many choices would inevitably lead to longer lines due to guests not knowing how to operate the machines. Right now it's just about as simple as they can make it, and people still can't figure out which way to put the ticket into the machine.

exactly.

eryn
10-09-2006, 09:33 PM
I think thats a really great idea. Maybe not having all the choices at each one though. Just have a machine made to look similar to the ride that it has fast passes for so people know which one they are getting and then just scatter them around the park like the garbage cans! It would cut down on running around time, but come to think of it, I actually enjoy being the designated FP person, gives me some quiet time! OK, never mind, bad idea;)

Pirate Princess
10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
But then more people would learn about fastpass :eek: :eek: :eek:
it's amazing (and wonderful for me) how many people don't know about it or choose not to use it because it's not everywhere and signs aren't glaring at them from many many kiosks

ken001b
10-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Another problem would be staffing...each of the FastPass stations takes someone to "man" as the machines run out of the paper rolls or get jammed or people (as mentioned) cant figure out how to line up the barcode on their ticket with the picture of a barcode on the machine.

Plus FastPasses already go too quickly on the popular attractions....could you imagine how quickly they would go if they were all over the park? It would defeat the purpose if Space Mountain was "sold out" by 10:00 in the morning because then you couldnt use the machine anyway.

ralfrick
10-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Plus FastPasses already go too quickly on the popular attractions....could you imagine how quickly they would go if they were all over the park? It would defeat the purpose if Space Mountain was "sold out" by 10:00 in the morning because then you couldnt use the machine anyway.

Yeah, but realistically that wouldn't happen unless everybody is only getting FPs for that one attraction, and none of the others. USF used to have single machines that would kick out their EPs for multiple attractions before they got rid of free ones. The DL equivilent would be like having one central distribution point for both Space and Buzz, though, and not being able to get every ride on every machine. Of course, except in TL, the FP attractions are pretty well seperated, whereas USF uses Express Pass on almost everything, so even that may no be too practical.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Pat-n-Eil
10-10-2006, 10:32 AM

So let us penalize those who take the time to understand what Disneyland offers because other folks want to have it spelled out to them three different ways and every 30 seconds. This doesn't make sense. It's like dumbing down the classroom and making the brighter smarter kids lag behind their potential because the curriculum can't accomodate both the smart kids and the more remedial ones.

By all means, lets eliminate great ideas because some don't take the time to learn about them. It isn't like the person who didn't take advantage of the perk wasn't treated to the exact experience they were expecting - just that they could have improved it if they had paid attention.

I loved the Enhanced FastPass and I hope it returns in some way after the Year of a Million Wishes. Be it a AAA Perk, a Disney Resort Property one or something new. And for the record, consolodated FastPass machines combined with this Perk would be right up my alley. I'd spend less time running, Disneyland would save personnel hours by combining this duty into a centralized location - and they could increase the number of machines in one spot (or a couple) to accomodate the guests better. Heck, the spaces the FastPass machines are in now could be used to improve the queue and traffic flows. Win/win/win/win

As a final improvement, they should eliminate the hour window and just post the come back time and make it good through the end of the day. That's what they are doing anyway, just make it official to take away some of the apprehension from the uninitiated.

mistofviolets
10-10-2006, 11:01 AM
This saturday the park was extremely busy. We took advantage of Fastpass. I found that our group had to run from one side of the park to the other to get our passes. First we got Haunted Mansion at 10:20, then we went on Splash Mountain, then instead of wasting time actually going on Haunted Mansion we headed to Tomorrow land and got Space Mountain 11:15. Then we did Buzz Lightyear and headed back to Haunted Mansion. After that we got passes for Indy and headed to Tomorrowland again.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have generic kiosks scattered around the park for Fastpass rather than machines at each attraction? This way, I can choose the attraction I want without actually going over to it. It would have saved us a lot of walking.

It sounds more like you planned poorly (Sorry!!!!)

When we went, it wasn't *that* crowded, at least in the morning, but we picked up FPs as we walked by things, going on the small line rides and visiting characters...and then circled the park again later *using* them. We figured since they don't expire, we had all day. Of course...we also were able to do double duty b/c there were a lot of things youngest couldn't go on...so we'd get 2 FP (for the group of 4) and then pick up 2 more later if it was something I wanted to go on too. So we always had 2 open tickets. But, I'm thinking it could work even if you filled all the tickets.

What they really need is to get Peter Pan on a FP!

DisneyDustin22
10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
So let us penalize those who take the time to understand what Disneyland offers because other folks want to have it spelled out to them three different ways and every 30 seconds. This doesn't make sense. It's like dumbing down the classroom and making the brighter smarter kids lag behind their potential because the curriculum can't accomodate both the smart kids and the more remedial ones.

By all means, lets eliminate great ideas because some don't take the time to learn about them. It isn't like the person who didn't take advantage of the perk wasn't treated to the exact experience they were expecting - just that they could have improved it if they had paid attention.

I loved the Enhanced FastPass and I hope it returns in some way after the Year of a Million Wishes. Be it a AAA Perk, a Disney Resort Property one or something new. And for the record, consolodated FastPass machines combined with this Perk would be right up my alley. I'd spend less time running, Disneyland would save personnel hours by combining this duty into a centralized location - and they could increase the number of machines in one spot (or a couple) to accomodate the guests better. Heck, the spaces the FastPass machines are in now could be used to improve the queue and traffic flows. Win/win/win/win

As a final improvement, they should eliminate the hour window and just post the come back time and make it good through the end of the day. That's what they are doing anyway, just make it official to take away some of the apprehension from the uninitiated.

I think what some are trying to say is that by adding central locations that provide FP, you'll essentially be fixing one probem, but creating new ones. I agree with you, it will save lots of time and effort not having to run all over the park. On the other hand though, look at the FP lines for Indy and SM on a busy day, they are like lines at a food cart. Heck Indy even has a queue for FP during peak. Now combine those lines and the other attractions in FP into one area. Essentially now eliminating the FP's at the attractions as to not cause congestions (good) but now you're just puuting that congestion back into the park somewhere (bad) and worse, youre combining all those attractions. Now we get to stand behind those people who all are set with what they want and when they get to the machine someone says, wait, lets do Space instead of Indy. Then someone in the group disagrees. Now your wait time is longer because the people in front of you cant make up their mind as to what attraction they want a FP for now.

I think it would be interesting to try out. Since we'll never know until we actually see it in action. But I think in the long run it wouldnt solve anything.

stan4d_steph
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
So let us penalize those who take the time to understand what Disneyland offers because other folks want to have it spelled out to them three different ways and every 30 seconds.It's human engineering. Those extra seconds it takes a person to operate a machine, multiplied by thousands a day. Plus, you are saying you'd need to provide more training for people. That means more CMs to assist guests.

The system works just fine now. So you have to walk to the attraction, and perhaps criss-cross the park. So what? DL isn't that big. Why should Disney spend more money to change a system that functions fine now?

Pat-n-Eil
10-10-2006, 12:46 PM
It's human engineering. Those extra seconds it takes a person to operate a machine, multiplied by thousands a day. Plus, you are saying you'd need to provide more training for people. That means more CMs to assist guests.

The system works just fine now. So you have to walk to the attraction, and perhaps criss-cross the park. So what? DL isn't that big. Why should Disney spend more money to change a system that functions fine now?

I didn't say anyone needed new training - I said that Disneyland could utilize less personnel on the FastPass Machines if they were consolidated. Even if they moved the current FastPass machines to a more centralized location and the machines themselves only still dispensed the one kind of FastPass, Disney could still save man-hour money and customers could choose which FastPasses they wanted in a central location. Imagine how nice it might be for a larger family who could stay together during this part of the day versus one of the family members doing all of the running while the rest kill time.

Disney could even make this another retail opportunity by making you go through a mega-store to exit this new Consolodated FastPass area. Also, a drink and snack vendor near the entrance of this new Integrated FastPass Distribution area would be beneficial as well as cup holders and snack holder shelves on the machines themselves (because the operation takes 2 hands).

Bolivar
10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
This is Disney and they are magicians at implementing these kinds of things, so maybe they could work it out, but I see this fraught with confusion and complications. You would need to post the return windows for all the rides, and do you have different machines for each ride in which case there are many lines to be sorted out and confusion around which line to get in, or does someone somehow select the ride at the machine, maybe a different slot for each ride. Then you have people who can't figure it out, and they add time to the line; you have a group of people who are looking at the posted return times and are debating what ride to get, more time added to the line and you still have to keep coming back when you can get another fastpass. Also, I like that you are at the ride I can see the standby wait time. For example, I might go to Space to get a fastpass, see that standby is only ten minutes, so I grab a Buzz fastpass and get the standby line for space. Given all these potential problems, I don't really see much of a benefit. In fact, even if there weren't problems, I don't really see a benefit.

The Real Cinderella
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
The point of the FP is that it holds your place in line for you while you go do something else. Considering that logic, it is only fair to make you actually go to that attraction and stake your claim. It would not be fair if I was in Critter Country and able to electronically insert myself into the Space Mountain line.

All the FP system requires is planning. Yes, you could spend most of the day running from side to side, frantically collecting tickets, and getting worked up and frustrated. Or you could take a few minutes to look at the map and plan your route, and thus take full advantage of the system and have a pleasant day at the happiest place on earth.

disneyhound
10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
...generic kiosks scattered around the park for Fastpass rather than machines at each attraction..would have saved us a lot of walking.

The layout of DL and DCA was designed for lots of walking, that is part of the experience, and part of your day in the park. If it were designed like a golf course, get on one ride, exit at the entrance of the next attraction, the place would be non-functional. If folks spend a lot of time walking back and forth between areas of the park, then they are spending less time in line with me... :p

Pat-n-Eil
10-11-2006, 08:42 AM
The point of the FP is that it holds your place in line for you while you go do something else. Considering that logic, it is only fair to make you actually go to that attraction and stake your claim. It would not be fair if I was in Critter Country and able to electronically insert myself into the Space Mountain line.

All the FP system requires is planning. Yes, you could spend most of the day running from side to side, frantically collecting tickets, and getting worked up and frustrated. Or you could take a few minutes to look at the map and plan your route, and thus take full advantage of the system and have a pleasant day at the happiest place on earth.

I understand your point and I also understand that yours is the explanation that is given by the Disney folk for its existence. For me, they are a way to let me get through the line much faster. I personally don't do the shopping they suggest you can do, I just use the extra time to take in more attractions.

The point will become moot as the enhanced FastPass disappears in January - but I really hope they come back later. I earnestly try to avoid any wait longer than 30 minutes. I will definitely be trying RideMax on my next visit and hoping it lives up to its reputation.

Pat-n-Eil
10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
The layout of DL and DCA was designed for lots of walking, that is part of the experience, and part of your day in the park. If it were designed like a golf course, get on one ride, exit at the entrance of the next attraction, the place would be non-functional. If folks spend a lot of time walking back and forth between areas of the park, then they are spending less time in line with me... :p

Agreed. Though I do wish there were some variety of transportation options at DCA. Trams, Skyway ride, stagecoach, railroad or subway - anything really.. It's a long walk to get from Tower of Terror to Paradise Pier.

cstephens
10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
But you can only hold one Fastpass at a time, so having a kiosk where you can get Fastpasses for all rides wouldn't help you anyway. And if they allowed you to hold more than one at a time, I think Fastpasses would get used up really quickly. If you want to go on a ride, you have to go there to get the Fastpass. Makes sense to me. If I wanted to ride Haunted Mansion but found the stand-by line to be too long, I'd want to be able to get the Fastpass there, not have to go to some other location to get it.

screamin4ever
10-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Well isn't part of the problem with crowds the fact that they are wandering all over to get a Fastpass and then go somewhere else and then return? Or heaven forbid they stand out in front of the attraction, mouth agape, blocking the walkways, waiting for the return time? I do like the idea of a central Fastpass location say in the Opera House on Main Street. BUT, why not a Fastpass for two rides at once? Then you are done for quite a long time. No scrambling, just go do something else.

Of course my first choice is the complete removal of Fastpass or make it a choice for NON-AP's only.

WDW does Fastpass better than Disneyland. You can actually get on many rides and hold multiple Fastpasses. I just think the SoCal crowd is getting too savvy on their use and the system is not working here.

weluvdisney
10-15-2006, 07:00 AM
What is the difference between Dl and WDW fastpass?

disneyhound
10-15-2006, 07:10 AM
What is the difference between Dl and WDW fastpass?

Thousands of miles... yuck, yuck, yuck :p

fidoprincess
10-15-2006, 07:45 AM
I love the idea of a central distribution center perhaps by the hub!! I have always wished for a "trading" station too where if you have a fastpass for one ride, you could trade it for another.

Sometimes dd is really brave when we are getting the fastpass but when it comes to actually getting on the ride she changes her mind or other various reasons leave me holding FP we don't use and wish we had others instead. She wouldn't get on Splash and wanted to do autopia instead. I think it would be great to "trade them in" with other guests at some central hub too!

Many times we leave the park holding some leftover fastpasses. Now our only option is to just give them away to some other family which makes them happy but we leave wishing we could just do one more ride of our choosing-lol!

dznyphreak
10-15-2006, 10:18 AM
I say leave the FP machines where they are. If it's too frustrating for you, then, by all means, feel free to use the standby line. Centralizing FP machines would be more harm than help since you'd have to have a sign for each attraction's current FP return time. Add all the people at FP machines at any given time and squish them all into the same area and you get clutter and confusion. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TP2000
10-15-2006, 11:33 AM

BRAVO!

People who don't quite understand the full logistics of operating a busy park like Disneyland have been asking why there isn't a central Fastpass Kiosk center for the past six years. Can you imagine the crowd control nightmare as thousands of people started their day at Disneyland by trying to cram into a central facility that had 40 Fastpass machines all under one roof? What a disaster that would be!