PDA

View Full Version : New rides...?!

MrJims
10-08-2006, 09:25 PM
My wife and I just returned from DLR today, and while riding the DL Railroad, a cast member mentioned that (1) people mover is to return in 2008/2009, and (2) new Cars ride is scheduled to go into DCA (along lines of Test Track in WDW)...Excellent news!!

DisneyDustin22
10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Always interesting news to hear about new attractions. But we've heard this before. :| Nothing's official until it is official. That's all I have to say about that.

MrJims
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Too true. Lots of rumours (new Star Tours, Tom Sawyer's Iland etc etc). At least it's somewhat interesting to know that the imagineers are trying create some new excitement by spreading these rumours. Ha! I love Cars and the ride Test Track, so I'm really hoping this one plays out. Never rode the people mover, but something needs to be done with that track, so again, hopeful minds...was EXTREMELY disappointed in the new Monsters Inc. ride, so hoping whatever new comes about is not along those lines.

SANDYMARIE
10-09-2006, 07:38 AM
If it's a rumor or on the drawing board, it's still a possibility. And that's exciting!! I hope they bring back the People Mover and even vamp it up a bit.
News like this keeps my Disneyland trip plans fun.:)
TTFN

tigga please
10-09-2006, 09:45 AM
one can only hope!

The old man
10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
My wife and I just returned from DLR today, and while riding the DL Railroad, a cast member mentioned that (1) people mover is to return in 2008/2009, and (2) new Cars ride is scheduled to go into DCA (along lines of Test Track in WDW)...Excellent news!!
Here go the CM rumours again. They always seem to be not in the know.

Also does it make sense that there would be two new rides based on the same movie in the same park?

samkj
10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Here go the CM rumours again. They always seem to be not in the know.

Also does it make sense that there would be two new rides based on the same movie in the same park?

That would be item #2 in the list, not 2 new Cars rides.

Pat-n-Eil
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
The CarsŪ Test Track idea sounds interesting enough, but the return of the PeopleMover isn't all that exciting to me.

Obviously using the track for Rocket Rods didn't work out - but I hope they do something more with this ride than just implement the old PeopleMover. Perhaps they could make the cars do more or allow some rider control over which way you look (a la Buzz Lightyear). This is tomorrowland, maybe let the cars go straight up a wall at some point with customers being more strapped in - or add a new part of the ride that goes underwater or through some interesting terrain - other than the Tron tunnel.

Bolivar
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Any way to integrate the peoplemover track with Autopia? It would be kind of fun driving your little car over Tomorrowland. I guess I could see liablility issues with letting people up on the track in those cars that they can just climb out of, but if they could work that out it would be fun.

The Real Cinderella
10-10-2006, 02:48 PM
...was EXTREMELY disappointed in the new Monsters Inc. ride, so hoping whatever new comes about is not along those lines.

Really??!! I thought that ride was awesome. So adorable, and true to the film. It was a favorite of mine.

The old man
10-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJims
...was EXTREMELY disappointed in the new Monsters Inc. ride, so hoping whatever new comes about is not along those lines.

Really??!! I thought that ride was awesome. So adorable, and true to the film. It was a favorite of mine.

I have to agree with MrJims. A totally underwhelming ride, but a good use of what was already there--Superstar Limo. I would only ride it again if there was totally nothing else to do and I had time to kill.

Bytebear
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I actually liked Monsters, Inc. It's just as good if not better than Pinnochio, Snow White and Pooh. The problem is that it's the only dark ride in DCA.

Pat-n-Eil
10-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I actually liked Monsters, Inc. It's just as good if not better than Pinnochio, Snow White and Pooh. The problem is that it's the only dark ride in DCA.

Certainly much better than than Pooh, IMO.

MiaTurner
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm surprised, I really loved the Monsters Inc. ride. I thought the sets were really intricate and the effects were pretty awesome compared to other dark rides. (The Randall holograms came out really cool, you could hardly see the screen. And the mirror effect in the door scene was a lot better pulled off than it is in Alice.)

HorizonsA
10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't know. I didn't find Test Track at Walt Disney World that interesting. I thought we get more speed zones, but you're only outside the last part of the ride and the inside isn't really thrilling. So, I'm "if-y" on this Cars proposal.

The Real Cinderella
10-12-2006, 07:13 AM
I didn't think Cars was that big of a hit. I laughed until I cried, but I think I was the only one in that theatre, or any other, that found it remotely entertaining. So I'm surprised it could hold up its own attraction. Who knows. I guess we'll see.

MrJims
10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I think my wife and I had built up higher expectations. It was definitely good for what what it was, but I was hoping it would be more like Buzz Lightyear (ie)taking a Disney movie to another level, not just a retelling of the movie (like Alice In Wonderland etc). It's neat when they can take a movie and then have a new adventure with the characters on the ride. That's the only reason we were disappointed. Hoping the new Nemo submarine ride is a "new adventure" type design, but either way, it will be fun. Never got a chance to ride Superstar Limo, but from what I've heard, Monsters Inc. is definitely a better replacement.

Micki0624
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
If anyone is interested in seeing a video of Superstar Limo

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/limo/superstarlimo.mpg

I wasn't impressed and think Monsters is wayy better!

Bolivar
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
My issue with Monsters Inc. has nothing to do with the ride itself. It is a cute, dark ride. It isn't Splash or Pirates, but it is OK. But, what if they put it into Frontierland or NOS? Clearly is would be out of place and everyone would be screaming about what they are doing with the themeing of the land. Well, what is it doing in Hollywood backlot?

This just goes to my overall complaint about the lack of coherent theme within DCA. I do go to DCA, I do find it enjoyable with a few excellent attractions. It would be a good amusement park along the lines of Six Flaggs, but for Disney I find it disappointing and I think the themeing is a big part of that.

MrsPooh
10-16-2006, 03:19 PM
We just rode Monsters last week, and thought it was cute. It would have been better had the character's mouths moved. They seemed to have cheaped out there. The theming and the effects were great, the non moving mouths was my only gripe.

Don't ya just love the rumors? I personally love the one that had the subs getting an Atlantis theme to them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and let's not forget the water park located a few blocks away on the vacant lot. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a new Peoplemover and a Cars themed ride, although I have heard the Cars was for Autopia, and the expiration of the Chevron sponsorship.

animagusurreal
10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
My issue with Monsters Inc. has nothing to do with the ride itself. It is a cute, dark ride. It isn't Splash or Pirates, but it is OK. But, what if they put it into Frontierland or NOS? Clearly is would be out of place and everyone would be screaming about what they are doing with the themeing of the land. Well, what is it doing in Hollywood backlot?

This just goes to my overall complaint about the lack of coherent theme within DCA. I do go to DCA, I do find it enjoyable with a few excellent attractions. It would be a good amusement park along the lines of Six Flaggs, but for Disney I find it disappointing and I think the themeing is a big part of that.

I think the trouble with placing Monster's Inc. is that it really doesn't fit with any of the lands at either park, partly because it has a contemporary, present-day setting (albiet in the monster world). It sure doesn't have much to do with Hollywood - beyond being based on a movie, and that Hollywood is a city and Monstropolis is a city - but it doesn't have much do with a seaside pier or a national park, either, so I can kinda-sorta understand why they stuck it in HPB.

That said, it would have been nice if they had done something to transition you from Hollywood into Monstropolis, instead of just parking a flat facade out front. They could have at least had it be more 3D and more animated, maybe something like DCA's answer to the Small World facade.

Maybe they're waiting to see what gets done with HPB once the rumored thematic enhancements to DCA take place (though, if some of the the things I've read are true, HPB won't be set in the present day anymore, and there will go that connection ;) ).

The rumors I read about a Cars-based ride set in San Francisco are exiting to me. I always wanted to see some kind of thrill ride with the San Francisco hills in DCA. The idea I had was a stand-up coaster with trolley cars, (I've seen other people mention similar ideas), but the Cars cars will work, too :)

tinker3
10-17-2006, 12:44 PM
That video from Super star limo was a blast from the past! To me it seems like Monsters inc. is a much longer ride than SSL. It's definately a much better ride. I think it's pretty cute, but my 3 yr old thinks it's the greatest.

I would LOVE a Cars ride. All of my boys loved that movie and it seems like that would be a pretty easy one to convert into a ride. Like Mrs. Pooh, I also hear the rumor (maybe here) that Autopia was the next Cars ride.

It would be nice to see something done with the people mover track even if its the old ride.

Katran
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
I hope the Cars ride works out!

I also thought Monsters, Inc. was cute. Not great, at least not for me. My kids really liked it though.