PDA

View Full Version : No restaurants open after 8:30pm?

swcrazy
10-08-2006, 01:19 AM
On Friday 10/6 my husband and I decided to go to Disneyland for a yummy sit down dessert (a common thing for us every few weeks and saves us from having to pay for a full dinner by eating at home). Normally we get there around 7pm and head to cafe Orleans. This time we were a bit later (I had surgery a week and a half ago so it took a bit longer to get into the car and a bit while longer to walk there from the entrance) around 8:30pm or so. We couldn't find any open restaurants at the park!!! They were open until 12midnight that day. We tried every restaurant in Frontierland, Adventureland, and New Orleans Square. Nothing.

Since we didn't have any cash and wanted a sit down treat we headed into Downtown Disney. We decided upon Naples. Bad decision. For almost $30 we got 2 waters, 1 hot cocoa which was cold, 1 small mocha, 1 tiramisu small and a chocolate torte which was tiny. We could've gotten larger desserts and hotter hot cocoa for half the price at Cafe Orleans. We won't make the mistake of going to Naples again.

Why won't Disneyland take my money? Is there any place that posts restaurant times at the park so you don't have to walk all over and be disappointed? And you'd think being that the park did close at midnight on a friday that there would be some non-cart food after 8:30pm.

Blah! :confused:

cstephens
10-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Was Plaza Inn open? Or Pizza Port? I've discovered that those are the two locations usually open later than other places in the park.

Malcon10t
10-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Thats weird. I've been at the Riverbelle at 930pm and gotten food.

drjones
10-08-2006, 07:18 PM
I've noticed that Village haus, Tomorrowland terrace, and Hungry Bear all seem to close by 7pm in the off season. I can't say anything about cafe orleans or French Market, being new to frequenting there. It seems sad that Disney has so many probles with food services, because the only ones that suffer are us, the public, when we are hungry.

TP2000
10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Naples has always been a horrible restaurant. It only survives because there is a constant stream of out of town tourists who don't know any better and go in for a meal. No one ever returns for a second experience at Naples.

CinemaGal15
10-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Most restaurants at Disneyland close an hour before the park closes, so I don't know why you weren't able to find one open if it was in fact open until midnight like you say.

cstephens
10-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Most restaurants at Disneyland close an hour before the park closes, so I don't know why you weren't able to find one open if it was in fact open until midnight like you say.

That's not been true in my experience in going to the resort for the last multiple years. One or two of the big restaurants will stay open (Pizza Port, Zocalo, Plaza Inn), but most of the other locations are closed by about 8pm even when the park is open until 11pm or midnight.

olegc
10-09-2006, 07:56 AM
That's not been true in my experience in going to the resort for the last multiple years. One or two of the big restaurants will stay open (Pizza Port, Zocalo, Plaza Inn), but most of the other locations are closed by about 8pm even when the park is open until 11pm or midnight.

Right -
That part of "cost savings" that came about due to McKinsey planning has stayed no - even during the Ouimet years. The only one I could think of that might not follow the rule is Blue Bayou - but then it's always a chance you take. Definitely the "outlying" places close early. It also depends on staffing and levels of customers- although I noted that Cafe Orleans was closing at 7PM!?!?! one night - shutting the doors, etc. There was no one inside, and only a couple of folks on the patio - so I guess it was due to lack of traffic flow.

My suggestion would be to call Disney Dining or check in at City Hall before you walk around. No guarentees of info - but these are places where you might find some assistance.

Bytebear
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I think many of the Downtown Disney restaurants are overpriced and underwhealming. We only eat at Tortilla Joes. Great food, reasonable prices, good service. Separate patio seating, so you get a table fast.

Sguidgit
10-10-2006, 12:14 AM
I've gone to Plaza Inn for desserts in the past because I always thought they were one of the restaurants that stayed open a bit later than the rest. Or I go to Downtown Disney.

I found Naples to be extremely overpriced (no wonder the wait time was shorter than the rest of the places). The food wasn't bad, just not worth the price. Also, our service was slow.

I think many of the Downtown Disney restaurants are overpriced and underwhealming. We only eat at Tortilla Joes. Great food, reasonable prices, good service. Separate patio seating, so you get a table fast.

Really? The one time I went to Tortilla Joes I wasn't a fan. I got chicken and beef (regular) tacos I believe and they were pretty tasteless (however another person got carne asade I believe and said it was good). Although I also don't care for the burgers at ESPN Zone that many others like (I found it pretty plain and bland). I'm usually not that picky, maybe I just have bad luck! :)

swcrazy
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Sorry guys, I meant the French Market not Cafe Orleans. I always get them mixed up. I've noticed that even before Cafe Orleans became full service it was always closed by 8pm. The French Market has always been our late night stand by especially since they offer so many desserts (cheesecake, chocolate cake, fried cheesecake, etc). Don't know what changed this time.

charpaul
10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I was at the resort this last weekend and my friends and I found food service in the parks to be VERY below par for the whole weekend. I know that they were swamped by guests this last weekend - but they KNEW that was going to happen!!! Zocolo did not have dinner service on Sat. night at all (I don't think they were open all day come to think of it!!)

Places all over the park were out of things that they normally have on hand. I waited 20 minutes for ordering lunch at Hungry Bear and then 15 minutes for my food to come to the counter ( cold by this time!)

I know they are still having staffing problems at the parks, but this was REALLY bad service this weekend every place I went for food.

They even close the ODV carts at about 9:00 when the park was open until midnight. No water, soda, or snacks available after fireworks in most places!!!