PDA

View Full Version : Disney art experts - which Kincade to buy?

kkmickey
10-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Only Disney lovers can understand . . .

I know that many 'art experts' don't consider Kincade a great painter, but for those who love Disneyland, I know you will understand my wanting this picture. I have been waiting for a while and have finally decided to go ahead and splurge on a Kincade Disney painting. However, I know NOTHING about buying art of any kind, and I really need some advice on what to buy? I plan on spending about $1000.

However, I need to know, what is the best choice between canvas, giclee, proofs, signed, etc? Do the shops at Disneyland offer anything exclusive? (I read something about a frame with Mickeys in it, but I don't know if that's available anywhere else.) If there is anyone who knows and can guide me, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't even know where to begin researching this.

Kristin

geoffa
10-07-2006, 02:00 PM
My response would be go with what you love. I own "Light of Freedom" (print) which Kincade did for 9/11. It's a huge print but to me it could be the signed original(he actually donated that to the NY emergency services.) I saw a copy of the DL 50 painting this last week here in the U.K. (limited edetion print - $3,000) and what I love about it is that when you turn the lights down (as if the sun is fading) those points of light still shine through. All I would say is I hate the Mona Lisa. It's small, it's dull and it's uninspiring IMHO - I repeat IMHO.
And, yes, I've seen the origianl in the Louvre in Paris. Others rave about it but I just don't see it. I hate Kincaid's road into tacky Christmas ornaments and jigsaws etc but if they give pleasure to people who am I to criticise? An original Kincade goes for thousands of dollars - a print is far less. Have a look on ebay for kincade stuff - that will give you a guide. Also see;
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:8CMgDX7vXVUJ:www.webguide.com/thomas-kinkaid.dhtml+thomas+kincaid+prices&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=5
which gives some sort of guide to prices.
It's your $1,000 so spend it on what gives you pleasure. Do a little research (put Kincade into Google)and then purchase what gives you the most satisfaction. It's your wall it will be hanging on. Whatever you choose - ENJOY!

kkmickey
10-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I am definitely buying the Disneyland painting, but I am unsure as to which type of print to buy. Any help?

geoffa
10-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Search for galleries that sell his stuff and visit. Bare in mind they are out to sell stuff to you but be guided by your feelings and what you can comfortably afford.

ghoofie
10-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Get canvas. We have it in canvas. It's great.

tod
10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I am definitely buying the Disneyland painting, but I am unsure as to which type of print to buy. Any help?

Go with whatever suits your fancy. His images are available in any size and on both paper and canvas.

The important thing to keep in mind is buy it because you like it, not because you think it will go up in value. This goes for any art, really.

--t