PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Sept. 29-Oct. 4

nmjohnston874
10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
My wife and I visited DLR Sept. 29-Oct. 4. Instead of giving you a step by step account, I’ll just post some observations.

To begin with, I have to say we were VERY disappointed in the BB. We went there Oct. 3 for my birthday lunch on Tuesday. It started out well, got a waterside table in just a few minutes although they were crowded. No one in the boats shouted at us and there were no screaming kids in the restaurant. The waitress was right there and took our drink and appetizer orders. When she returned, she took our lunch orders of prime rib for my wife and seafood jambalaya for me, then disappeared never to be seen again. After about 30 minutes a waiter brought us the wrong order of Monte Cristos. He returned about 15 minutes later with the correct order. I tasted my wife’s prime rib, and I have had better roast beef, dry and tough. The carne adovado at Ranchos Del Zacolo was more moist and tender. My jambalaya was okay, nothing special. After the waiter took away the dishes, we waited 20 minutes before he returned to ask about dessert, which we were going to order – I wanted to try the cookie boat – but we were so angry we declined. I even declined my complimentary birthday chocolate pudding dessert. Our tab came to $80. certainly not worth it. To make matters worse, we were seated next to where they deposit the dirty dishes and had to listen to that the entire time. What five star restaurant deposits dirty dishes in the dining room?

We went immediately to Guest Relations, the first time I have made a complaint in the nine years we have been going to DL. I haven’t been able to find a DLR email address so I can also make a complaint there. If anyone has that address, I would appreciate it.

Other than the crowds, we had a great time. We thought we were going during a very slow time, but we were surprised. (See the an earlier thread about the crowds at that time.) I regularly read this and another DL board, and I must say I really was not looking forward to going. Was I surprised! The park look the best I have ever seen in the nine years I have been going. The decorations were stunning. I did not encounter any rude adults and the CMs were always cheerful. I use an ECV and look healthy, but I didn’t get any dirty looks or comments, although I don’t look or listen for them either. One man even offered me a hand when I was climbing out of IASW. Whenever I had a near collision, apologies were always exchanged. My wife never was struck by a stroller, although I ran over her foot a couple of times. I saw only two people smoking where they shouldn’t be. And I saw maybe three pieces of litter. In other words, we had a wonderful time.

I am now looking forward to going in May to celebrate my daughter’s 21st birthday.

Rapunzelthorn
10-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I have never eaten at the Blue Bayou, but have always wanted to. Your review doesn't encourage me to want to do so. That's too bad that you had such a dissapointing experience.

I'm excited to see all of the Halloween decorations too.

DianeM
10-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't think that BB is a 5 star restaurant. I suspect it's a 3 star restaurant with 5 star prices. The last time I ate at BB, we were seated right next to a service area. I was a bit dismayed, actually, because there was a table open next to the water, and I asked why we weren't taken there - I understood it was first come first served. But a couple was put there. The food was okay, and the service was okay, but being next so close to a service door that it the server's practically bumped into us, along with the clatter of dishes, pretty much killed the romance of the BB for me forever. I was hoping that DL was going to reduce the number of tables when they raised the prices, but no such luck. I'm going to leave the BB for the suckers who think it's "special" and spend my extra time riding POTC if I want a "bayou" experience.

What five star restaurant deposits dirty dishes in the dining room?

disneyhound
10-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Glad you enjoyed your DL trip, other than BB...

SoCalSteven
10-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Sure doesn't make me want to go back to the BB after the changes. Shame, because I used to love the food and atmosphere there.