PDA

View Full Version : patriotic walt

lillas
05-27-2001, 03:32 PM
This Memorial Day weekend I find myself saddened by another aspect of the park's decline...a lack of good old fashioned American patriotism. About all that is left is Great Moments (sort of). It seems like there were previously many referances, direct and indirect, to what a great country this was. America the Beautiful 360 circle-vision, America sings, carosel of progress, all gone. FL is loaded with history but the positive go unemphasized. Heck, most of TL was cold war themed (a war which bye the way we won).

Can anyone else think of patriotic stuff of days gone bye?

How about giving Indy a make over with a Norman Schwartzkopf/ desert storm theme?

Mandrake Linux
05-27-2001, 03:42 PM
You think that Disneyland "management" cares? They aren't even willing to clean a speck of dust off the matterhorn.

Napsto
05-28-2001, 10:33 PM
yea, that was something that made Disney special!

Corith
05-29-2001, 09:04 AM
That is because in world of Walt's time it was proud to be an American. But, today, America has grown to viewed by so many nations and cultures as an overstuff, overbearing, pompous, group of elitist snobs.

My step kids aren't even proud to be Americans. Even though they have spend they entire lives in San Pedro, California, do not want to acknowledge they are Americans. They find such a label disgusting and vile.

'Tis a sad thing really. It was such a uniting force. Regardless of our differences, we all had that one thing in common. We were all Americans.

Uncle Dick
02-10-2002, 12:13 AM
It's interesting that now, at a time when patriotism is quite high, Disney hasn't done much (beside all the flags) to bring back the patriotic spirit to Disneyland. I know Al recently said that bringing back America the Beautiful was a no go, but I still can't imagine that it would do anything other than good for the park. They could advertise it as a "limited engagement" to "celebrate the unity of America" or something. Really. How hard could it be?

Nigel2
02-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Well odds are they would have to rip up all that linoleum (I can't remeber what it was exactly) and all the line posts, and then the people would have to squeeze out that little opening at the exit of rocket rods (also a security risk since they could get onto the RR track). Or they could get sent out the emergency exit near the matterhorn. Also they would want to clean up the film somewhat, another cost...

Uncle Dick
02-10-2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Well odds are they would have to rip up all that linoleum (I can't remeber what it was exactly) and all the line posts, and then the people would have to squeeze out that little opening at the exit of rocket rods (also a security risk since they could get onto the RR track). Or they could get sent out the emergency exit near the matterhorn. Also they would want to clean up the film somewhat, another cost...

Why should they have to remove the flooring? This would only be a temporary thing, nothing to warrant large scale remodeling. I don't recall the line posts in the RR queue as being particular permanent, so I'm sure they're easily removed. Then, they just have to move a few old ride vehicles back stage (they could just cover up the monorail with a banner of some sort.

I don't see any problem with people squeezing out into the Premiere Shop if some of the merchandise is moved around (The exit to MuppetVision is pretty small) and a small barrier will fix the Rocket Rod problem.

Why should they have to clean the film up? Again, this is just a quick fix. They could leave a bunch of the line posts in the main room in lieu of the old bars. Seriously. This could be accomplished quick and cheaply and cover up the embarrassing closure of the Rocket Rods.

rexfarms
02-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Read my signature.

Nigel2
02-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Why should they have to remove the flooring? This would only be a temporary thing, nothing to warrant large scale remodeling. I don't recall the line posts in the RR queue as being particular permanent, so I'm sure they're easily removed. Then, they just have to move a few old ride vehicles back stage (they could just cover up the monorail with a banner of some sort.

I don't see any problem with people squeezing out into the Premiere Shop if some of the merchandise is moved around (The exit to MuppetVision is pretty small) and a small barrier will fix the Rocket Rod problem.

Why should they have to clean the film up? Again, this is just a quick fix. They could leave a bunch of the line posts in the main room in lieu of the old bars. Seriously. This could be accomplished quick and cheaply and cover up the embarrassing closure of the Rocket Rods.

Actually I beleive they were perminant (well the ride was also going to be perminant) And they would have to put in the rails for people to lean on. I could just see a lawsuit from a person claiming that they fell due to the movie.:mad: and poles would make lousy lean bars anyway.

Muppet vision's exit is not that tiny and it is outside, but the "real" exit for the theater is now partially obstructed by a gate and an elevator so that doesn't help either.

And cleaning up the film isn't that costly (simple, not digital remastering or anything) but it helps to clean it up. (Also some people would have probably griped if they didn't clean it up at least a little, you know who you are...:) )