PDA

View Full Version : Still Camera, Video Camera, or Both in the park?

Pages : [1] 2

Abigail's Uncle
10-05-2006, 02:29 PM
I've always been dogged by this question and wanted to ask what others bring to the park. One year I brought my video camera along, and while it was great to watch the videos shot in the park later, I remember at the time it felt like somewhat of a hassle to be dragging it everywhere, and also kind of removed me from being able to participate fully, as I became the official videographer.

I suppose having a still camera is a must - less intrusive and easier to capture great moments. I wonder if there's an advantage to carrying both, or does that just mean there's one more item and one more decision to constantly be making in the park?

Any thoughts or personal experiences on the matter?

Andrew
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Most current digital still cameras have a video mode. Best of both worlds.

Devilwife
10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm struggling with the same thing. Seems we never use the Video Camera for anything. Digital is a lot easy but still at times it's a pain. Making sure it doesn't get wet on rides or crushed...

With the choice between the two it'd be Digital Camera.

tod
10-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Still camera, by all means.

Unless you want to be one of those jerks who watches his vacation (it's almost always his, very rarely her) on TV, first in person, then at home.

--t

Rapunzelthorn
10-05-2006, 04:36 PM
We do both. My son is five and he loves to watch videos of himself at Disneyland and Disney World. We even taped some of the rides like Pirates and Jungle Cruise and he loves to re-live them. I do also enjoy seeing scenes of him at 2 1/2 excited about riding the Haunted Mansion or watching him on Small World and Autopia. That footage is irreplacable and precious. I'm glad that I shot it. I wouldn't bother with the videocamera if I didn't have small children though.

jenmclions
10-05-2006, 06:46 PM
If you going on multiple days do both but only take the video camera on alternate days. We took the digital still camera everyday but the video camera only on some days. Even though they are tiny nowdays they are still a hassle to take everyday.

MaraMouse
10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I can see how trying to video everything can become a hassle, but if you
decide beforehand what and what not to video, it can turn out really nice.

On my last trip we brought a regular cam as well as a camcorder. But our
intention wasn't to video everything we saw on camera, what we did was
film documentary style with the intention of capturing our reactions,
thoughts and feelings during significant moments. We started the moment
we got to the airport, got some moments at takeoff and landing, and all
the way to saying goodbye to DL.

The way we'd do it was that when we arrived at a place/attraction/show, and
we would take turns talking to the camera, announcing where we were and
what we were about to do, film the surroundings and then put the camera
away and go off and do it, then when it was over we would talk to the
camera again and give details and our reactions. Of course we didn't record it over and over when we repeated the rides, the first time's good enough and usually the best.

We chose not to film parades and shows so that it wouldn't take our
focus away from enjoying, but we did however film some of the storybook
rides that weren't dark, and even the beginnings of Splash Mountain
(where it was still safe to.) We had plenty of free time to dedicate to
the camera too (mostly while we were waiting in line.)

When our trip was over we were really excited to watch our video and
when we did, we got to re-live all the excitement we felt at those
significant moments, and we still do every time we watch it. Pictures
are great, but there's nothing like re-living the live memory.

Imagine if you were picked for YOAMD while filming!

But this year I have a dvd handycam on my x-mas wishlist especially
meant for our WDW trip :D

DianeM
10-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I realized some time ago that when I take a camera on vacation, I don't experience the trip as fully because I'm always looking for the perfect shot. I decided that vacations were about relaxing and enjoying myself, not trying to save experiences so that I could have a shallow remembrance later. If you have a good reason to want photos, then take some, but don't let the photographs take the place of the experience. If you really want a great picture, skip the posed shots and take a few action photos. They are more difficult, and you'll waste a lot of shots, but you can end up with some really good pictures. And consider getting one of those photos they snap of your family on a ride. I know they're expensive, but they can also be terrific memory shots. My favorite is Splash Mountain. You can really see fun on people's faces. You don't need to get one for every ride, but one is nice.

Any thoughts or personal experiences on the matter?

Bytebear
10-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I was just reminded today as I rode Monsters, Inc., that I was at DCA on a preview day and video taped much of the day. I even got yelled at on the Stinger for video taping while on the ride. Oops. I am going to dig up the video and see if I got any of the old Superstar Limo on tape.

AcuraTL
10-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Do both. My 4 year old son and 2 year sold daughter love to watch themselves on videos at Disneyland. I know it is a lot of hassle but I believe it is worth it in the end, especially if you have kids. They are only at that age once so go for it.

The old man
10-06-2006, 05:48 AM
Most current digital still cameras have a video mode. Best of both worlds.
Very short recording length.

hippiemama
10-06-2006, 05:54 AM
We do both.
My husband takes some video. I take a zillion pictures. It works nicely when I edit to dvd and makes our videos more 'watchable'.These are films we will treasure forever.
:)

backsthepack
10-06-2006, 05:55 AM
We still take both (well, video and digital). What I do is the first day we are there I take video of anything that I think we might want to watch later. Parades, scenery (for family that doesn't make the trip), etc. After that, no more video taping. It is a pain to haul it around. For the rest of the trip it is just digital photos. I am a scrapbooker, so tons of photos are a must.

AcuraTL
10-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Not true. My Sony DSC-F828 with a 4GB card can take at least 30 minutes of video at a time at 30 fps.

Andrew
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Not true. My Sony DSC-F828 with a 4GB card can take at least 30 minutes of video at a time at 30 fps.
Likewise, my Canon PowerShot S2 IS can take 30 minutes of video with a 4GB SD card. This is common, and 4GB SD cards run less than $80 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?SrchInDesc=4GB&Page=1&bop=AND&Submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=68&PropertyCodeValue=531%3A7930).

AcuraTL
10-06-2006, 11:08 AM
But of course, nothing beats a dedicated video camera as the quality difference is night and day. Video of my kids are too important to me, that's why I always bring both.

Barbossa
10-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Many digital camcorders also take digital still shots with 3+ megapixel resolution. They're also pretty compact so they're easy to carry/stow. It's really cool to be able to choose between taking video and pictures with the flick of a switch.

CookieBandit
10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
One year, we brought our camcorder (VHS-C) - didn't use it for a single thing. Last year and this year, my sis and I brought our digital cameras (we have Canon Powershots). It also has video mode, which I think can record up to 5 minutes? The quality isn't as good as it would be on a camcorder, but for me, it was a better choice because I could switch between the still photos and the video quickly and easily, all while enjoying the rides. Besides, I definitely wasn't going to record a whole ride anyway (for example, I have 3 clips of Small World - in different 'lands', and various clips from Fantasmic).

It does depend on what would work better for your family. My family is on the shy-er side - not comfortable in front of the video camera. So most of the photos and video we took are of the Disneyland attractions, not of oursevles. So having a camcorder was not important for us. But I do agree - you do end up not getting to enjoy everything because you're stuck behind a viewfinder (though having an LCD screen is a lot better).

mandi2728
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I cant imagine not taking both...we have a digital rebel and we just bought a hard drive Sony camcorder. But I am overly picture addicted.

PrincessLeia
10-08-2006, 08:50 AM
CVS drug stores sell a really cool one-time-use digital video camera. I think it's about $25-$30. It is about the size of a regular digital "still" camera or a deck of cards.

We tried one on our last visit to the ocean (didn't want to get sand/water in the good digital camera). It was very cool. It allows you to take up to 20 minutes of video, in any length you wish. You can play back the immediate past snippet on the built in screen and decide to keep or delete.

What is really cool is that when you turn it in, they make a DVD for you (an additional cost, but worth it).

Doug
10-08-2006, 03:30 PM
YOAMD?

I can see how trying to video everything can become a hassle, but if you
decide beforehand what and what not to video, it can turn out really nice.

On my last trip we brought a regular cam as well as a camcorder. But our
intention wasn't to video everything we saw on camera, what we did was
film documentary style with the intention of capturing our reactions,
thoughts and feelings during significant moments. We started the moment
we got to the airport, got some moments at takeoff and landing, and all
the way to saying goodbye to DL.

The way we'd do it was that when we arrived at a place/attraction/show, and
we would take turns talking to the camera, announcing where we were and
what we were about to do, film the surroundings and then put the camera
away and go off and do it, then when it was over we would talk to the
camera again and give details and our reactions. Of course we didn't record it over and over when we repeated the rides, the first time's good enough and usually the best.

We chose not to film parades and shows so that it wouldn't take our
focus away from enjoying, but we did however film some of the storybook
rides that weren't dark, and even the beginnings of Splash Mountain
(where it was still safe to.) We had plenty of free time to dedicate to
the camera too (mostly while we were waiting in line.)

When our trip was over we were really excited to watch our video and
when we did, we got to re-live all the excitement we felt at those
significant moments, and we still do every time we watch it. Pictures
are great, but there's nothing like re-living the live memory.

Imagine if you were picked for YOAMD while filming!

But this year I have a dvd handycam on my x-mas wishlist especially
meant for our WDW trip :D

Doug
10-08-2006, 03:35 PM
How do you figure? It's limited by the card, for example, my 512mb card on my Sony T1 records for 70mins! That's ALLOT of time .... and a small card...

MaraMouse
10-08-2006, 03:50 PM
YOAMD?

If while you were filming you were picked for a Year Of A Million Dreams prize :)

tonytone
10-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Many digital camcorders also take digital still shots with 3+ megapixel resolution. They're also pretty compact so they're easy to carry/stow. It's really cool to be able to choose between taking video and pictures with the flick of a switch.
LOL--I guess when it comes down to dual-purpose equipment, one has to decide on whether to choose/use a digital camera that can also record video, or a video camera that can also take still photos...decision, decisions!

Heck--the day will come where there will be an all-in-one device where you can:

1) Make and receive phone calls;
2) Listen to music;
3) Record high-quality video (perhaps even in HD);
4) Take high-quality pictures (8 MP or more);
5) Surf the Internet, either via cell phone network or (sometime in the very near future) via wireless Ethernet.

Yes, there are mobile phones that offer many of the above features, but not necessarily the best of each feature (i.e., a 8 MP digital camera w/ many features offers more picture-taking options than a cell phone camera)...but as I said earlier, it's only a matter of time.

tonytone
10-09-2006, 10:10 AM
How do you figure? It's limited by the card, for example, my 512mb card on my Sony T1 records for 70mins! That's ALLOT of time .... and a small card...
But I'm willing to bet that, at 70 minutes on a 512 MB card, the video PQ will be nowhere near as good as that taken by a full-fledged video camera. But wait--the video resolution is pretty high (e.g., 640x480) on your camera, you'll say...perhaps, but video resolution isn't the only thing when it comes to digital video PQ. If you've ever re-encoded video ripped from a DVD for playback on a Video iPod or PSP, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to... :D