PDA

View Full Version : Last call: booking rooms for Dec 25-Jan 1

pisces
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Book now or forever hold your peace.....

Rooms for Christmas-New Years week are selling out fast!

Crunch time.

By late October there's nothing left at the Harbor Blvd hotels......at least last year.

And last year, by late November......you couldn't find a single non-smoking room in the whole city of Anaheim.

Actually, by late December there were no rooms in the whole city, period.

I've been checking rates and availabilities, for that week, online......

Park Vue was sold out for that week (Is Park Vue a good-neighbor hotel?)......
but maybe they've had cancellations, or it was a computer glitch.

This morning, Park Place would not let you book that week as a whole, but you could book individual days, which was strange.....and seemed to signal...to me, that they are rapidly becoming sold out too.

The Tropicana Inn wanted upwards of $150.00 per night. Not exactly what I'd call 'budget'....but I guess it's their biggest week, so....

ADVICE: It helps to call the front-desk directly. You can't always go by what is showing online, as the front-desk might have some recent cancellations that don't show up yet.

But, in general, I really think rooms are selling out for that week, rather quickly, at this time.

If you'd thought it wouldn't be crowded, that week, now that the 50th is over........

Don't bet on it.

Malcon10t
10-05-2006, 01:05 PM
The Tropicana Inn wanted upwards of $150.00 per night. Not exactly what I'd call 'budget'....but I guess it's their biggest week, so....Glad I have my room atteh Residence (1 bedroom suite, hot breakfast, etc for $119!)

pisces
10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah, I'm all set too.

But, I cut it pretty close. Didn't officially book until early September, which is late for me.

In the past, I used to book that week in early May, or April , even!

I figured I had plenty of time, since there'd be no 50th (crowds) this year.

Of course, we know that's not the case.

MaraMouse
10-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I thought I booked early for this week last yr's trip, but 1 day really makes a difference!

I had it all planned out for the Anabella and it was available and everything, I check again the next day and it was gone! So we ended up at the Red Roof, which was still okay, but it wasn't my first choice.

disneyhound
10-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Remember to post pictures for the rest of us who cannot be there... :crying:

Niele
10-05-2006, 02:36 PM
My DH calls me neurotic but I always book things way in advance. It usually works out for airline fares (i'm paying half what it costs now), but the flight times always change on me. We'll now be landing at 9:30pm instead of 8:30, darn, I don't think we'll make it in time for the fireworks but at least we have rooms. I think planning is half (almost) the fun of the vacation. Can't wait to get there - 73 days and counting!!!!

pisces
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I thought I booked early for this week last yr's trip, but 1 day really makes a difference!

I had it all planned out for the Anabella and it was available and everything, I check again the next day and it was gone! So we ended up at the Red Roof, which was still okay, but it wasn't my first choice.

But remember, they usually have a few late cancellations, but you'd have to call continually, to try to snap them up as they come in.

People do cancel.

I always leave myself a degree of flexibility, just in case a better deal, or something more desireable, comes along.

pisces
10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Remember to post pictures for the rest of us who cannot be there... :crying:

Me? I have pictures from last NYE. My pictures and trip report are down below.

I also sort of live-blogged (on this very site) the experience of staying at the resort during that week, last year, each day I was there. Don't know where those posts are, though.

I doubt I'll do that this year--- live blog.

Pictures, yes. If I'm there the day of the 31st, seeing as I'll be locked into the park, and can't leave, lest I wouldn't get let back in....

.....I'll have nothing to do but take photos!

MaraMouse
10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
But don't prices go up as it gets closer?

pisces
10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes and no.

I remember one time, finding a cheaper rate on rooms I'd already booked....... from the AAA Kiosk inside the Park.

And, this was only about 48 hours before.

The Hotel adjusted the rates for me.

That was unusual though.

This was during the Tsunami, when people were really cancelling left and right, I guess.

BlkPearlCptn
10-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks for this thread!!! Saw it and realized that I didn't have rooms booked yet (spending FIRST EVER New Years at Disneyland) PLUS heading over to Pasadena the next morning to see "Uncle George" as Grand Marshall.

Got a good room at a great price (I love Travelocity). Was thinking about Grand Californian..but got 4 nights for the price of ONE over there!!! :eek: (Talk about price gouging!).

But, anyways..thanks again so much!!!

mad4mky
10-06-2006, 05:15 PM
You know what....?

My husband and I didn't decide to go to DLR for Christmas until about the 15th of December last year.

There WERE rooms available at the last minute, no matter what the OP said.:)

We stayed at the Anaheim Hilton, right across the street from DLR at a great price.:D Booked at the last minute.
When we got to the hotel on Christmas Day, the place couldn't have been more quiet.
It was 2 days later when it was a crazy as all get out.:(

Malcon10t
10-06-2006, 05:47 PM
It was 2 days later when it was a crazy as all get out.:(Yep, and thats when the Rose Bowl teams arrive, and one team is housed at the Hilton each year. Its fun watching security at teh Hilton once they arrive... Yes, we have stayed there a few times when the teams arrive.

hawaiimom
10-06-2006, 08:58 PM
So are all the DLR hotels already booked for Christmas week then? We're going for our first time this Oct 19-23 and have just decided to go with my brother and his family Dec 23-27. I had hoped to book the Grand Californian but no luck. When do these hotels fill up for the holiday season? I'd like to know for next year!

Malcon10t
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
So are all the DLR hotels already booked for Christmas week then? We're going for our first time this Oct 19-23 and have just decided to go with my brother and his family Dec 23-27. I had hoped to book the Grand Californian but no luck. When do these hotels fill up for the holiday season? I'd like to know for next year!
When I was looking in June, they were booked up. Last year I got a reservation for Christmas the previous May.

ministrychick77
10-06-2006, 10:52 PM
i'll be getting ressies within the week for 12/31-1/3. so far it shows that there's still vacancies. (i'm hoping they're still available when i try)

this trip's gonna be so cool..

Minnie66
10-06-2006, 10:57 PM
So are all the DLR hotels already booked for Christmas week then?
We booked in July and the only rooms that were at capacity at any of the 3 resorts were the 2 room suites. I called last week and added another room with no problem. We are going from the 27th through the 2nd. Good luck!!

kohl
10-07-2006, 06:57 AM
I had hoped to book the Grand Californian but no luck. !

Keep calling. People make reservations early, then cancel so you still have a chance!

cstephens
10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Actually, by late December there were no rooms in the whole city, period.

We stayed at the Hilton last year when we decided to spend New Year's Eve at the park, and we got the room maybe a week or so before no problem - decent rate too.

kisroo
10-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Anytime we want to stay in a resort hotel, I've made reservations almost a year out.

Other hotels like the CCI and Hojo, I've done as late as 3-4 months out. No, I am *not* a spontaneous traveler. ;) For our June trip, I started researching prices and packages in late July. I made our reservation/put a deposit down on our package at the GCH for over a month now. :geek:

~kisroo:)

pisces
10-07-2006, 04:23 PM
It helps that they don't have conventions at that time of the year.

If it's just a general garden-variety, run-of-the-mill crowded....as opposed to convention-crowded...

...then I guess your chances of getting something from a cancellation go up.

When every room in Anaheim is sold out because of something like ....the Cheerleader Convention...

...getting something at the last-minute is more difficult I would think.

It's fun to do those spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment trips, when all-of-the-sudden, you decide you are gonna go for it. And, even better when you luck out and get a decent room, only days (hours?) before check-in.

There's nothing more invigorating/exhilarating than that kind of spontaneity....you quickly gather a suitcase and toss (throw) things in it, slam the door, and on your way...

Actually that's how I pack, even when I've planned the vacation a year in advance.

I try to make it as if....(pretend like--)...it's a spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment thing.

kisroo
10-07-2006, 04:55 PM
It's fun to do those spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment trips, when all-of-the-sudden, you decide you are gonna go for it.

To each their own.

I hate, hate, hate arriving at the airport anything less than calm and organized.

Now, if I lived closer, perhaps I might feel differently. But, I doubt it. ;)

~kisroo:)