PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day/LAUSD off?

Pages : [1] 2

Rapunzelthorn
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Does anyone know if the schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District have off for Columbus Day (October 9th)? I tried to check their district site and even individual school sites for their academic calendar and found it impossible to pull up a calendar with school holidays on it. Anyone in the area that might know? Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for what to expect!;)

Thanks!:)

mcow1
10-04-2006, 05:46 AM
I doubt it. Schools don't usually get Columbus Day off.

carolyn
10-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I don't know about LAUSD, but our Orange County school district does not have it off.

PAPACITO
10-04-2006, 07:00 AM
I just checked a certain schools website and said it would remain open for Columbus. I dont know if its up to the individual school if it wants the day off or not. But they are probably open for Columbus day.

PAPACITO
10-04-2006, 07:05 AM
I just checked with my nephews school in the LAUSD and he indeed has to go to school that day.

stan4d_steph
10-04-2006, 08:26 AM
California generally does not celebrate Columbus Day, so the schools are in session. When I lived there I would often forget it was even on the calendar.

Rapunzelthorn
10-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the info.:) I'm glad to know that schools are still in session in the area! I hope this makes a little bit of a difference in potential crowd size! I remember that someone posted that the schools in the area had off for Yom Kippur on October 2nd, so I wanted to find out if they were off on one of the days that I would be attending. I'm sure it impacts crowds if the schools are out! I hope that it is not too bad on Monday.

Thanks again! :)

bassett1976
10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.:) I'm glad to know that schools are still in session in the area! I hope this makes a little bit of a difference in potential crowd size! I remember that someone posted that the schools in the area had off for Yom Kippur on October 2nd, so I wanted to find out if they were off on one of the days that I would be attending. I'm sure it impacts crowds if the schools are out! I hope that it is not too bad on Monday.

Thanks again! :)

The hard part is that some schools are getting inservice days in the next few weeks. I know that my school in West Covina has Friday off.

disneyhound
10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
This is a good resource:

http://www.lausd.net/pdf/0607calendar.pdf

tmptink
10-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I know this is not a LA school, but my niece just told me that she has all next week off. She lives in Tucson.

eds905
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I live in Torrance. We are going to DL on Monday Because my friend gets it off (I am homschooled:p).

PhishyBrewer
10-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Good to know because I'll be there Monday and Tuesday. Thanks!:fez:

MrsG
10-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm at a private school, and we do get Monday off. :p

Rapunzelthorn
10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
My kindergartener is off the first two weeks of October for fall break. We are in Arizona and he goes to a year-round school. I'm sure there are lots of kids on fall break; I was just curious about the schools in the immediate area because I think that would have a more dramatic effect similar to what people were talking about on October 2nd. I also have a habit of checking the Anaheim Convention Center's schedule to see if there is anything big scheduled for the days that we are going! I try to be somewhat strategic anyways! :) It doesn't always work. Last year I had the bright idea to go the day before and the day of Thanksgiving! I mean, who would go to Disneyland on Thanksgiving, right? Aren't they all at home with their families?! Yeah, real good idea!:rolleyes: I should have checked the site that posts attendance for Disneyland by month and holiday!

I know that there is going to be increased attendance on Columbus Day because there are a certain number of people who do have it off and they are also scheduled to be open until 10 pm that night, so they are obviously expecting to see bigger crowds. I'm just hoping it's not too terrible. Tuesday will probably be nice. We will have a great time either way!

The link provided by disneyhound is excellent. That should come in handy when planning a trip! Thanks!

Rapunzelthorn
10-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I just noticed on the Disneyland Resort page that they increased the operating hours for both Columbus day and also for Tuesday. That's somewhat worrisome.:eek:

I should be happy, right? I would be if I didn't know what that meant! I'll choose to be happy to have the opportunity to stay later!

Rkkm
10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know if the schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District have off for Columbus Day (October 9th)? I tried to check their district site and even individual school sites for their academic calendar and found it impossible to pull up a calendar with school holidays on it. Anyone in the area that might know? Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for what to expect!;)

Thanks!:)

Sadly, for me, nope. (I am an LAUSD teacher.) Our next day off is Friday, Nov. 10, then the day after Thanksgiving. Winter Break starts on Saturday the 16th; we go back on January 8th. Next day off after that for LAUSD: Martin Luther King Day on Jan. 15th.

june1st1997
10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Do you think it will be busy Monday? :confused:

Planned to hook up with some Mouseplanet Moms... having no idea Monday was Columbus Day. ( I know... pretty silly)

Does LAUSD have it off? DD is 7 months... So That kinda stuff does not effect me yet.

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

Andrew
10-06-2006, 10:54 AM
LAUSD did not have Columbus Day off when I was a student. This of course was a disturbingly large number of years ago, but I don't think it has changed.

Rapunzelthorn
10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Lisa-

I didn't realize that it was Columbus Day either when I made my plans! So, I don't think that you are silly. I'm a little worried because Disneyland and CA have extended their hours for that day from what was originally scheduled. I'm just planning on rolling with it. Luckily, my family is also going on Tuesday. I'm hoping that will be a lighter day. Maybe we will get lucky and Monday won't be so bad. At least the schools in that immediate area are in session. It could probably be worse! :)

adriennek
10-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Keep in mind, too, that LAUSD, even though it's large, is not the only district in the area. It's not even the only district in LA County. I don't know of any other district that utilizes Concept-6 year-round calendar and their four-track calendar looks very different from the four-track calendar that I know several other districts use. Their winter recess actually looks nothing like the winter break for any of the school districts with which I'm familiar.

Adrienne

snappy
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I also teach in the Pasadena area and YES we have to work!!! I know last Monday LAUSD schools(Westside) were off for Yom Kippur. We teacher's don't get enough days off!!!(j/k) Look how long it took for the Government to recognize Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

june1st1997
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Rapunzelthorn:

Thanks for the support! :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is a lighter day. Although I have learned that mom days at Disneyland right now look very different than my old non-mom days. I'm only riding one or two rides... regardless of the crowds.

So... us moms are gonna meet up at the partners statue between 9:30 and 10... (Eric, Ava and I will be there at 9:30) if you/anyone are/is in the area around that time please come by and say hello.

It will be a pleasure to meet a fellow mouseplaneter in person!

Rapunzelthorn
10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
We will probably be trapped in a line for something or other by then! If we are in the area, I will stop by with my family and say hello! Thanks! Hope your day there with your little one is great! :)

Darkbeer
10-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I know that the County of Orange employees have Monday off (some emergency workers of course will work and get compensated).

The courts will be closed, though some employees will work....

cstephens
10-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm not in the LAUSD area, but the elementary school right by my house lists Monday as an in-service day, which I think means employees are there but kids are off. I know it's a government holiday because a friend who works for the State has the day off.