PDA

View Full Version : October 1-2 Trip Report (Crowds, etc.)

TomorMatt
10-03-2006, 08:32 PM
We went down Sunday October 1st and spent most of the afternoon at California Adventure. We got down a little late and the combination of the cooler / overcast weather seemed to help keep the crowds manageable. We stayed at GCH and I was a bit annoyed that they could not assign us a room until close to 5 pm. As someone who travels quite a bit, I must have stayed in a hotel close to a thousand nights in my lifetime and I cannot remember not being able to get a room until 5 pm. What is particularly frustrating is that I would be fine if they would just assign the room and tell me it still needs to be cleaned so I can put my suitcases in the room and come back.

Anyway, that is off topic. This stay was planned a little late so I was unable to get reservations at Goofy's Kitchen, which is mandatory according to my two children. Because we did not have reservations and also because we planned on taking advantage of the early entry into DL on Monday, we woke early and tried to get to Goofy's Kitchen by 7:00-7:15 am. I am not a morning person, especially after staying up late with a nine and five-year old to watch Fantasmic. I was worried we would have two tired and grumpy kids on our hands, but must have been the Disney magic or excitement because they were up and ready to go. We got to Goofy's Kitchen around 7:20 and got right in. As someone who has spent considerable time waiting to be seated (with and without preferred seating), I was pleasantly surprised. I do not like getting up early, but will follow the same schedule next time to avoid the wait.

I was surprised how many people were in line for the early entry when we got to the gate at 8:40, but the early entry must have saved us at least 2-3 hours in the park. If I take into account the 30-45 minutes it takes to get through the gate on a semi-busy morning, I think getting the early entry gets you into the park 1hr 30min earlier. Combine that with the ability to hit Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, Small World and the other attractions on our list and I estimate we had as much done by 11 am as we would have had done by 2 pm without the early entry and we did not go on Space Mountain or some of the other attractions open for early entry.

So I am not accused of being off topic too much, the purpose of this post (before I got carried away) was to say that I was shocked at how busy the park was on Monday the 2nd. I often tell people when the ask the least crowded time to go to DL that every day seems pretty busy now and it is a matter of being unbearably or bearably crowded. I know some people deal better with the crowds and enjoy all the attractions/shows that are available when the crowds are the heaviest, but I we usually try to go when the crowds are the lightest. I assumed with the Jewish Holiday that some school districts would be out (ours was in Calabasas), but even factoring that in, I thought the crowds were extremely heavy. We did FP for both Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, but both of those attractions would have been 60 min.+ without. Gratefully, we had gone on Pirates the night before when we went to watch Fantasmic so we did not have to wait in that line because it looked pretty long. Because we got so much done earlier in the day, we actually had hit all the attractions we wanted in DL around 2 pm so we did a few more rides at CA and bribed the kids with purchases at the Disney & Lego store to leave early before traffic got to heavy. I actually was paying off bribes for going on rides. My almost five-year old son has a real phobia of rides, but was willing to try Peter Pan and Buzz Lightyear in return for some major Lego purchases. He did really well and actually wanted to go again. Just when my hopes were high that we had hit a turning point, we got to CA and he froze up and would not go on Heimlich's Train because he could not remember what happens on it. I walked with him around the outside as my nine-year old daughter and wife went on it hoping to convince him, but he was afraid because he could not see what happened after you go through the watermelon (into the animal crackers). What is odd is that he is fearless with physical activities, but loud noises and fake characters seem to really bother him. I had to buy my nine-year old daughter a new American Doll (Molly) in return for her going on Splash Mountain. Who would have thought that the most expensive part of the trip would have been the bribes to get kids to go on the rides.

All in all, we had a good time. My daughter just loves being at DL and is not bothered by anything. I am always aware of crowds, heat, ride closures, etc., but she just seems to be genuinely happy just to be there. She is always humming or singing and smiling and laughing as we walk around from ride to ride. Even my son who does not like the rides much has a good time and always wants to go down to DL. Must be the Disney magic.

Rapunzelthorn
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I am chagrined at everyone's descriptions of heavy crowds on weekdays in October! We are going on the 9th (Columbus Day) and the 10th of October. I specifically planned the trip expecting to go in the off-season for the first time ever! I grew up going every summer and as an adult have always gone either in the summer or Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Specifically chose October hoping to walk on everything for the first time in my life! I am pretty much expecting crowds now. :( I'm sure that since Columbus Day is a holiday, it will be crowded; but I hope we at least get a lighter day on Tuesday!

Abby's Mom
10-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Smae, here, we are going Oct 20-24, and I had hoped for lighter crowds this time of year, doesn't sound like it though.....

Monte Cristo
10-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Monday was as packed as I've ever seen it during the off season. However, many L.A. school districts apparently had off due to Yom Kippur, so that accounted for a lot of it. I noticed that on Tuesday things calmed down considerably.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
I am chagrined at everyone's descriptions of heavy crowds on weekdays in October! We are going on the 9th (Columbus Day) and the 10th of October. I specifically planned the trip expecting to go in the off-season for the first time ever! I grew up going every summer and as an adult have always gone either in the summer or Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Specifically chose October hoping to walk on everything for the first time in my life! I am pretty much expecting crowds now. :( I'm sure that since Columbus Day is a holiday, it will be crowded; but I hope we at least get a lighter day on Tuesday!

3 day weekends can never be considered off-season. Must avoid the parks on all 3 day weekend, all weekend, actually. LOL

Rapunzelthorn
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
That is a good point about Monday, October 2nd being a school holiday and so increasing the crowd size.

I did not realize when I originally planned my trip that the Monday I chose was Columbus Day! I thought I was doing good by avoiding the weekend. But, if it is not a school holiday for a lot of schools in the area, at least that helps! I'll let everyone know how it is during the 9th and the 10th.

adriennek
10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
I did not realize when I originally planned my trip that the Monday I chose was Columbus Day! I thought I was doing good by avoiding the weekend. But, if it is not a school holiday for a lot of schools in the area, at least that helps! I'll let everyone know how it is during the 9th and the 10th.

Not to rain on your parade even more or anything, but I notice you're a newer member. In case you haven't read it yet, many schools, especially in Utah, have fall break in October. One thing I've learned from my involvement in MousePlanet is that it's not just 'local' schools that contribute to crowds and in different geographic areas, school holidays vary widely.

The good news is you've found us now, so you won't be as surprised when you get there and you'll be better prepared to plan your next trip ;)

Adrienne