PDA

View Full Version : What was going on this morning? [traffic near DLR 10/2/06]

Tinker Bell
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
I take Ball from the 57 to get to DL and this morn was nuts. :confused: Trafic all backed up. When I turned on Harbor to get over to ketalla and trafic was bad there too. Both coming and going lanes where all backed up. All around the park it was wall to wall cars. They let no one in at Lion King. I went around the back way on walnut and at Ball and Disney. There was a cop sitting there but no help. I did finally make my way to DTD parking Cause Mickey's was backed up on the on ramp and down Ball down Disney. People all over the place going towards DL never made it into the park just did some shopping. Was it as packed in there as it was on the outside. One nice thing though on my way out they had cops helping out at all roads that was nice.

tunaman68
10-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I have no idea!!

It was as crowded today as a Saturday in JULY!

Never seen anything like it in October that's for sure.

Hour long waits for headliners, fast passes late in the day, and it took us 30 minutes to get from Harbor/Ball into the garage, then another 20 minutes to get a tram and get through bag screening, and then another 20 minutes to actually get in the park!!

So much for skipping work and spending a relaxing day at the park!!

Does anyone know what was going on today?

tunaman68
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I took some pics and will try to post later!

olegc
10-02-2006, 03:15 PM
the park itself was jammed. 1:30pm - HMH was 40min, POTC was 30 min. it took 30 min for trams to get us from Mcky lot to front gate (total wait time). Pix later. Park hours were extended today.

I know MANY in the park were new zealanders/aussies. also, last week and this week many year round schools have "fall break" - so they have week off.

DLR still has not figured this out. Same issues at spring break. Seems like they can't determine patterns of alterrnate break periods and international trends colliding for crowded conditions. It was not aweful - but the staffing and hours were off. Crowds seemed like late June.

AVP
10-02-2006, 03:16 PM
NO KIDDING!

Someone told me it had something to do with a city / school holiday in Mission Viejo / south Orange County....

It looked like 4th of July.

AVP

RockDoc07
10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Is it possible that some public schools were closed today for the Jewish Holiday thus prompting families/AP holders to take their children to Disneyland?

Just a thought. It's sort of like how 2 of my mom's Jewish friends always take their kids to the movies on Christmas.

I don't know if that's a general trend or not seen at the parks in the past and on other holidays, just shooting from the hip here.

Doc

tunaman68
10-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Our kids from Alvord School District (Riverside) were off for an inservice. We thought it was an isolated thing, but I guess many other districts including LAUSD were off as well.

Tinkermommy
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Today was the first day of a two-week fall break for many schools in my area (High Desert). Not the one my child attends, but many others. Apparently, it's becoming more common for schools to start in August and take a fall break. Who knew?

tunaman68
10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
A few pics to give you the idea..

http://www.magicboxmusic.com/DlandImages/

twokids
10-02-2006, 04:24 PM
WOW!! I was thinking of going tomorrow but I don't know... Would Wed. be a better idea?

adriennek
10-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Today was the first day of a two-week fall break for many schools in my area (High Desert). Not the one my child attends, but many others. Apparently, it's becoming more common for schools to start in August and take a fall break. Who knew?

It's often called a "Modified Traditional" calendar. Many schools on this calendar in Riverside will have a few weeks off in November and again in March.

Adrienne

potzbie
10-02-2006, 05:05 PM
This may be a clue.

Today, Monday, I heard that radio talk show host Dennis Prager was off due to Yom Kippur.

What does this mean? -- Is Disneyland the official orthodox/reform Yom Kippur meeting spot, or what? :confused:

Or, everyone in Southern Orange County Jewish??? :confused:

Or both????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rkkm
10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I have no idea!!

It was as crowded today as a Saturday in JULY!

Never seen anything like it in October that's for sure.

Hour long waits for headliners, fast passes late in the day, and it took us 30 minutes to get from Harbor/Ball into the garage, then another 20 minutes to get a tram and get through bag screening, and then another 20 minutes to actually get in the park!!

So much for skipping work and spending a relaxing day at the park!!

Does anyone know what was going on today?

Yes .. it was Yom Kippur .. the Jewish holiday for which the Los Angeles Unified School District closes almost all of its schools. That means that almost 750,000 students and their teachers have the day off. (The traditional track schools that run from September to June have the day off; the year-rounds do not.) So, many of the non-Jewish student and their families headed for DL to have some fun and see the Halloween decorations.

I am guilty! I was one of the LAUSD teachers cloggin' up the Park! And loving it, btw.

But ... today was SO much better than last Friday night! The 29th! What a nightmare! It was like the day after Thanksgiving or the week after Christmas!!! Only the employees were absolutely overwhelmed. We ate at Rancho del Zocalo, which only had two cashiers for the hundreds of people and amost no one clearing tables. It took 45 minutes to get and pay for our food! They ran out of ice tea, and the refiller-guy said it was going to take 30 minutes to refill it! The tables outside and inside were heaped with dirty dishes and trays. People looking for places to eat had to pitch the trays anyplace they could find to get a "clean" table ... even into the rose garden in the center of the outdoor dining space! I mean it was getting filled with dirty dishes.

It was so crowded on the 29th that they kept the Park open an hour later than planned. It was JAMMED!!!

So, today's lighter-by-comparison crowd was pleasant.

twokids
10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I was there on Friday. The morning was pretty nice but, OMG, the afternoon/evening was CRAZY. We went in and out so fast that my head was spinning.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
It was that way last year too. Somebody tried to post about it on the incorrect thread the other day ... We are all out for Yom Kippur, Jewish or not.

Next year, try See World (gasp).

PAPACITO
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Im sure the cops will bill Disney for their help. LOL