PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for Christmas visit?

iceblue42
10-02-2006, 08:37 AM
We are coming to Disneyland from Christmas thru New Years and have been to the park at othe times of the year (spring, summer, fall) but never this time of year. Can anyone offer suggestions on what we should be especially aware of and can plan for (or be aware of). Thanks in advance as you guys are always most helpfull.

Malcon10t
10-02-2006, 09:17 AM
We are coming to Disneyland from Christmas thru New Years and have been to the park at othe times of the year (spring, summer, fall) but never this time of year. Can anyone offer suggestions on what we should be especially aware of and can plan for (or be aware of). Thanks in advance as you guys are always most helpfull.We do this every year. The week between Christmas and New Years is the busiest of teh year. Be prepared for huge crowds. BUT, for the most part, everyone is in a holiday mood. Make sure you get PS for any sit down meals in the park ahead of time, they fill up fast. Take time to see the decorations around the park. Relax and enjoy the park. Bring ponchos, they are considerably cheaper to buy at WalMart than at the park. Be prepared for cold. New years Eve usually finds me in a long sleeve shirt, with a sweat shirt on, and a jacket over that. New Years Eve, the park is open til 2am. Take advantage of the extra hours!

MaraMouse
10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Make sure to buy your park tickets beforehand, when we went last year during this week they stopped selling park tickets I think everyday after the 26th because they were sold out.

Also Malcon10t was right, it gets really cold. Everyday I wore a sweater, jacket and a scarf but my lower body was really cold because I only had jeans. I remember seeing someone with a floor length puffy jacket and wished I had one. Next time I'm bringing thermal pants for under my jeans.

But we were lucky when it came to rain, it only drizzled once during that whole week, but its still better to be safe than sorry.

As far as what to see, you'll get holiday versions of the park maps that will tell you all the holiday attractions and showtimes, and on the map you can locate what areas to stand in for snowfall, I really loved that surprise ending of the fireworks show.

Not to mention the holiday treats and hot cocoa found around the park.

Hope that helps some :)

QWhisper
10-02-2006, 09:50 PM
One great tip for the cold weather. We use those "ThermoPads", the product advertised for sore muscles. We attach them to the inside of our clothes. They stay quite warm for at least 6 hours.

Malcon10t
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
One great tip for the cold weather. We use those "ThermoPads", the product advertised for sore muscles. We attach them to the inside of our clothes. They stay quite warm for at least 6 hours.
Not sure how much those cost, but we usually get the hunter's heat packs (brand name HotHands) for our pockets. They come in a variety of sizes and usualy stay hot for 6-8 hours. We get them in WalMart in the camping section. They are sold in 6 or 8 packs for about $2. We usually bring a few extras, as we end up giving a few away to CMs who get stuck with guest control. They love them.

mi_mous
10-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I love this time of year at the park.

Like everyone said, be prepared for the cold.

We like to take the holiday atmosphere in.

They have Santas Reindeer Round-up over at Big Thuder Ranch, and that is always fun. (Especially fun for the kids.) They have real reindeer there!

The parade, the Christmas tree, the stairs over by POTC, I believe court of angels is what it is called... VERY pretty over Christmas time! (We like to take family pictures there every year.)

We also like to sit on the porch on Main Street and sip hot chocolate.

Or course, the snow after fireworks is always fun.. or do they do it every night without the fireworks?

If you like parades, the Christmas parade is great.

Just enjoy how festive everything is... I'm sure you will have a GREAT time, and make some wonderful memories with your family!

pisces
10-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Try to do your rides, meals, and naps in the morning...leaving your evenings free for the parades and fireworks.

From 6:00 pm on you've got the 2nd Christmas Fantasy Parade, then the Electrical Parade, then rush back to see the Fireworks, then try to take in a Fantasmic, or two, or three---- if they do an 11:30 showing, which they usually do during that week.

It is definitely the most special time at the Park.

Read my TripReport, to see how I did it all---last year.

ochibiyo
10-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the great info. I was wondering on Xmas morning, what time should you stand in line? My family wants to see the morning Xmas parade. Any hints?

pisces
10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
What morning Christmas parade?

Is there a morning Christmas parade? News to me.

I've never been there on the exact day, (December 25th) so I don't know.

Maybe there's a special something where Santa processes down Mainstreet, at rope drop, or at some other time? On that particular day (25th) ????

In any case, Christmas Day (25th) is an Early Entry day.

The (first) Christmas Fantasy Parade is usually in the afternoons, followed by the evening (after dark) 2nd Christmas Fantasy Parade going the other way.

Malcon10t
10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the great info. I was wondering on Xmas morning, what time should you stand in line? My family wants to see the morning Xmas parade. Any hints?Go to Disney World? Disneyland does its normal Christmas parade in the afternoon (I thinkit was at 3pm) but there is no morning Christmas Parade. Disney World has (had?) the morning parade that was televised.

rentayenta
10-03-2006, 01:21 PM
We always do the week or two before Christmas and like the others have said, expect huge crowds. The holidays are a truly magical time to go. Try to be there by opening, if not before. Take breaks in the mid to late afternoon and go back right before dinner. Try to avoid any counter service restaurants during peak meals times and make sure to make PS for any sit down places. If possible try to have someone save prime viewing spots for parades etc...

CarlieB
10-03-2006, 02:11 PM
It's such a wonderful time of year at the Park. Enjoy the decorations and the atmosphere (and the hot cocoa!) - it really is special.

Malcon10t
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
It's such a wonderful time of year at the Park. Enjoy the decorations and the atmosphere (and the hot cocoa!) - it really is special.The hot cocoa, the tamales, and the cimmicungas!

jenmclions
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Big tip we learnt on our trip this past xmas/ny was to get to the parks before the gates open and try to do as much as you can before 11am. You will notice an increase in the parks 'population' around this time. Definitely try Ridemax worked a treat for us!

After 11am we would maybe head over to DCA, have a relaxing lunch in DTD, browse the shops in Disneyland, whatever we liked really!

Go with the flow in regards to crowds, we were expecting it to be bad from all we had heard but found it fine. Sure it's busy but that makes it all the more special IMO!

We found the weather quiet nice during this period and not cold at all, probably as we'd come from a very chilly New York! Nights were cold you will definitely need a warm jacket. Have fun, wish I was going! Next trip not until xmas 08/09 from Oz :crying:

josephfive
10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Like the poster above me (I'm sorry, I don't know how to do the quote thing) I would suggest RideMax. It proved to be an invaluable tool for us. I see your from Canada so I don't know how cold it will be for you down here. I would suggest bringing ponchos because it often rains during that time of year. The worst combination would be a rain downpour followed by a wind. The ponchos should take care of that problem for you :)

It is crazy busy but my family and I have always had a wonderful time there during that week.

jlkerr50
10-03-2006, 03:50 PM
I would strongly recommend getting the Holiday tour tickets. You get to watch the parade with reserved seating, drinking cocoa and eating a treat. You get a special pin. You get front-of-the-line into Holiday Mansion & Small World. It's fun.

iceblue42
10-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Wow. Thanks for the tips - looking forward to any more that are out there. About leaving the park, is there a chance that we could leave early afternoon and not get back in later if the park is really busy? The days the kids have specifically "EAR"marked to be at the park are Chrismas Eve, Chrismas Day and New Years Eve. Do we ask at the front gate when we leave or ?

Malcon10t
10-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Wow. Thanks for the tips - looking forward to any more that are out there. About leaving the park, is there a chance that we could leave early afternoon and not get back in later if the park is really busy? The days the kids have specifically "EAR"marked to be at the park are Chrismas Eve, Chrismas Day and New Years Eve. Do we ask at the front gate when we leave or ?Even if you ask at the front gate, they won't know if there is a sudden rush and the fire marshall closes the park. The only day you may have an issue would be New Years Eve. In 2001, the gates closed at noon. It was my understanding they didn't reopen. Every other year we have been there, they have reopened to returning guests (not new tickets) in the afternoon, but frequently, they reclose at 9 due to capacity crowds. Unless it is raining, we don't leave the park on NYE.

pisces
10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Christmas Eve should be fine, although the Park closes at 9:00 pm.....Main street an hour later?

Christmas Day I don't know about, as I've never been there on that day.....so I'll find out this year.

Christmas Day has been on a Saturday and Sunday these past two years....so those are crowded days anyway....the fact that Christmas falls on a Monday, this year......I don't know how that will affect crowds...we'll see.

In any case, if you do leave, make sure you get a handstamp....which is your first order of protection.

As for New Years Eve.....Get there in the morning and don't leave, period. That's your only hope......unless there's rain. New Years Eve.....your chances are slim in terms of getting back in, even with a handstamp...until after Midnight.

If it rains, though........