PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere talent avoids singing some Disney CD songs

DadandFamily
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Today at DCA, we asked The Miner 49'ers to sing 'Oh My Darling, Clementine,' a song my 3 year old really likes to sing. At first The Miner 49'ers said they didn't know most of the lyrics (despite the name of the band), but then said that Disney didn't want them to sing sad lyrics, such as those of 'Oh My Darling, Clementine.' Their reason seemed to make sense, although 'Oh My Darling, Clementine' appears on some Disney CDs. Has anyone else run across this or know of other Disney CD songs that atmosphere talent avoids singing?

KiwiMouse
10-02-2006, 12:54 AM
I don't think the reasoning makes much sense at all! OMDC is a great American song - and after all, sadness is part of life as much as happiness. I'm glad your 3yo enjoys it - its a great singalong song and we should all be singing as much as we can! And as you point out, the band owes its very name to that song ... :confused:

potzbie
10-02-2006, 01:35 AM
I saw the MINER 49ERS today (Sun. Oct 2).

I betcha the original "Barn Cats" could have pulled off the request.

But the Miner 49ers, being a creation of Disney, and NOT an independent musical act, probably have the show scripted. Therefore, the true blue grass numbers are probably limited to a handful, so that replacement musicians can learn the set quickly.

I have noticed that the repertoire, as it includes more and more Disney songs, excludes more and more blue grass/country songs.

When was the last time the Miner 49ers did "Rocky Top" and "Foggy Moutain Breakdown"? It has been a while since I heard them do those.

They are too busy doing the "Chip and Dale" call. :mad:
And the "musical chairs" audience participation using "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" as the music. :mad:

I'd rather have them do real blue grass than do musical chairs and do the Chip & Dale polka.
But that is just me. :)

snowsbeau
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
With a passel of niece's and nephew's in my world I have been listening to the Disney Children's Cd's for years now and the one song that my nephew loves is "I'm my own Grandpa". I asked the Miners if they knew this song and if they could sing it, I was told by one member that they didn't know it. A couple of weeks later I asked for the song again but to a different member of the group that was interacting with my nephew and he told me that they were told they couldn't sing that song.
What's up with that I asked and he could not provide me with an answer. But he went on the say quietly to me, "It's a long story, brother".

ChipmunkStar
10-02-2006, 10:25 AM

I'd rather have them do real blue grass than do musical chairs and do the Chip & Dale polka.
But that is just me. :)

I don't think I know of any 6 year olds who would agree with you... Except for the ones with the unnecessary fear of the characters of course..

ghoofie
10-02-2006, 10:35 AM

I betcha the original "Barn Cats" could have pulled off the request.

But the Miner 49ers, being a creation of Disney, and NOT an independent musical act, probably have the show scripted. Therefore, the true blue grass numbers are probably limited to a handful, so that replacement musicians can learn the set quickly.

The last time I saw the MINER's...I recognized at least one of them from the Barn Cats.

As for show scripted...it might be...but I know they vary some because the Barncats let me sit in on bass before while I was watching them.