PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving vs. Christmas

Bird&Belle
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
First the good. We're hoping to go to DL to see the Christmas decorations (yeah!!!) Then the not so good. The only times we can go are Thanksgiving and the week after or the week before Christmas. I've looked at the schedule and see the week after Thanksgiving is back to regular hours, so I'm assuming the crowds are lower. I've also checked the site that shows average attendance. What has your experience been? Thanksgiving weekend and a few days following or the week before Christmas? Decisions, decisions...

Rhiannon8404
10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
We always go for Thanksgiving week. We generally arrive on Monday and leave Friday. We love it. You get the fall Thanksgiving feel as well as the Christmas feel. We've never been at Christmas so I can't compare for you.

Thanksgiving week is light crowds until Thanksgiving Day when it is very crowded at DL, but still very light at DCA. We always do the Thanksgiving Buffet at the DLH. They have a harvest area and lots of characters come hang out there and take pictures, sign autographs, etc.

It's close enough to Christmas that you get the Christmas parade and snow after the fireworks.

Koala Gurl
10-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I would say after Thanksgiving. Crowds should be much lighter. :)

pisces
10-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Keep in mind that you'll get more rides and attractions, in addition to extended Park hours.......if you go closer to Christmas.

The Electrical Parade won't be around till the weeks surrounding Christmas.

I don't know if the Matterhorn will be back up and running by Thanksgiving.

And, as for the Monorail......I'm assuming it will be up for Christmas.

Crowded though it may be, around Christmas....if the above attractions are important to you, you may want to consider it.

stan4d_steph
10-02-2006, 06:30 AM
I would go the week before Christmas. Since Dec. 25 falls on a Monday this year, the parks wouldn't get too crowded until Saturday I would think.

10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
I haven't been either at Thanksgiving or Christmas but I'm thinking Thanksgiving at the DLR means someone else cooks.

I'm just saying.

LostBoy02
10-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Depends on what kind of crowds you want to deal with. Traditionally Thanksgiving weekend has lighter crowds then Christmas time. However, if you dont mind the crowds, I've always felt more excitement and Christmas time spirit closer to Christmas.

Rhiannon8404
10-02-2006, 07:09 AM
I haven't been either at Thanksgiving or Christmas but I'm thinking Thanksgiving at the DLR means someone else cooks.

I'm just saying.This would be our other main reason for going at Thanksgiving. I got really tired of the "whose family are we cooking for this year" thing. Several years ago we announced that Thanksgiving would be our one holiday of the year that was just my husband, Charlie and me...oh, and all the thousands of people at Disneyland. ;)

adriennek
10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I also vote the week before Christmas. The week after Christmas is insane. Thanksgiving weekend will be pretty busy. I think the week before Christmass will be less chaotic than Thanksgiving Day & the two days after would be.

Adrienne