PDA

View Full Version : What is Jedi Training Academy?

josephfive
09-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Did anyone experience it this weekend?

grimmonsngibbons
09-30-2006, 02:42 PM
i haven't seen it but it as an interactive outdoor show located where club buzz used to be. jedis train kids (with hasbro lightsabers) how to fight like a jedi and use the ways of the force. of course, trouble ensues when the empire shows up and tries to meddle with this, and the jedi enlist the help of their new paduan learners in fending them off...

lauras5boys
09-30-2006, 08:24 PM
My boys got to do it at Disney World when we went in April. They are thrilled it's coming to Disneyland.

A Jedi picks about 15 kids to come on stage and teaches them a little lightsaber routine (hit the right shoulder, then the left, then duck then left leg...etc). Then Darth Vader comes out and each child gets a turn to do the routine with Darth.

I was told by a cast member that Disneyland will have both Darth Vader and Darth Maul.

KeithOfTerror
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Now if only I could persuade them I'm under twelve years old...perhaps a shave...

KeithOfTerror
09-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Seriously, though, I know eventually some little kid's gonna just go ballistic on one of the Darths and its gonna be hilarious. Vader's pretty well protected, but here's to hoping Mr. Maul gets to wear a cup...

annieb727
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
what age group does this work for?? you think a four year old would do well (I mean, I think he'd like it, but would he ever get picked for it, or is he too young?)

lauras5boys
10-01-2006, 08:01 AM
They were picking 4 year olds at WDW

annieb727
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
They were picking 4 year olds at WDW

very cool!!! thanks! that means we'll DEFINITELY be going!! :D

Opus1guy
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I was told by a cast member that Disneyland will have both Darth Vader and Darth Maul.

...and Darth Eisner and Darth Pressler too!

Should be a popular attraction with Cast Members.

;)

chrisaustx
10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I was at Disneyland this afternoon and caught a show of the Jedi Training Academy, please see photo link below. The kids are assisted by martial arts people in fighting Darth Vader and the other Darth person. The crowd loved the show and it was standing room only today.
Here are the photos from today:
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/gallery/1955124
Darth Vader being challenged:
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/99297746-S.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/99297755-S.jpg

MammaSilva
10-01-2006, 05:51 PM
THANKS for sharing....I plan on taking some little guys to the park in the "near" future and they LOVE Star Wars...I can see this being an important part of our day!

josephfive
10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much for the photos!! And thanks to all the answers. I'll be at DLR tomorrow and this will definitely be on our list!! But, we never get picked for these things :(

It still looks like fun to watch though. Thanks again, Jo5

Mom2
10-01-2006, 11:17 PM
I didnt seem to notice how old the kids were that were picked for it at Disneyland? Were they also only 4 years old? Or would they maybe pick an 8 year old? My son would LOVE to do this.:)

josephfive
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
We went today and it was really cute. The Darth Maul today was great!! Very acrobatic.

My kids did not get picked. Word of advice, the kids who did get picked were jumping up and down. The Jedi Master seemed to choose from the far left side then the far right side and then filled it a bit with kids in the middle section. DH was none too pleased that his kids were looked over and they were sitting there with their hands raised. I don't let things like this bug me. What bugs me was the Mom telling her kid go on up, and the kid answered, "they didn't pick me" And the Mom growled at kid, with clenched jaw, to get up there. Twice! Okay, that is a big digression.

Back to the tips ... lots of kids were waiting on these circles. Don't do it. You're kid will be asked to move behind the ropes.

So, the Jedi Master dressed the kids up in Jedi robes and they become Paduwan. They learn a light saber fight sequence and just when they have it down; Dun Dun Dun Dun-Da-Dun Dun-Da-Dun. At that point, any Paduwan under age 5 went running back to Mom and Dad. The little Jedis then have a chance to test their battle skills against the forces of the dark side.

This is great for any Star Wars lover!!

I heart Disney
10-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I am going to DL in a few weeks with 5 boys 10 and under. Thanks for the info. They will love it and I hope at least one of them will be picked.

stagemomx3
10-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Since it is not something every kids gets to do, with only a few select kids getting picked, we will be avoiding that area during the Jedi Training. I hate stuff like that where kids get left out. I was hoping it was going to be something more along the lines of a class the kids could sign up for and attend and then get a certificate or something.

jazzysmom
10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
How often is this show done? I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hlbtimes2
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
^ Check the calendar. Its often- about every hour starting at 10 or 11 am, and going for 6-7 times during the day.

I was showing my husband pictures last night. He said "we have to go next weekend". Yeah, not so much. Last minute airfare is out of our budget. We'll be going in the spring. Hopefully its still going on at that time.

DisneyDustin22
10-04-2006, 08:36 AM
The first rule of Jedi Training Academy is you do not talk about Jedi Training Academy.

SDMom
10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Thank you josephfive for the great description. I have to laugh since I also have been frustrated when the children who patiently have hands raised don't get selected. However, I hope I never get so frustrated to push my children up when they are not picked.

Greg in TN
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
We were @ WDW last May & saw this show @ the Studios. Great for the kids. My son, 8yo then, and a HUGE Star Wars fan was thrilled to get to see it. We told him before we got in the crowd that he may get picked or he may not--that's life. And he said thats fine, he wanted to see the show.

As it turned out he DID get picked. And was up on stage to be taught by Norvas Divat, a Jedi Master & former student of Master Yoda. There were still more kids on the plaza in front of the stage with another Jedi Master teaching them. They did learn a lightsaber routine using "training" lightsabers (plastic blades rather than lasers--well, what did you expect). Each move was punctuated by quotes & other words of wisdom from the Star Wars movies. And, yes, at the end Darths Vader & Maul made an appearance to battle each child in turn.

The Jedi Master made it quite entertaining for the adults in the audience, and the kids in the Academy absolutely loved it. I highly recommend it for anyone (adult, or otherwise) who is a Star Wars fan. :D