PDA

View Full Version : Ice Creams are $4 now!

Pages : [1] 2

THpoohbear
09-30-2006, 10:27 AM
I was at DL last night (9/29) and went to get a Mickey Bar, and saw all the ice creams have been bumped up a quarter. :( Like the churro price, somehow $3.75 seems seems so much less expensive than $4, even though I know it's not.

And BTW, the stand I went to, in the hub, over an hour before fireworks, was completely out of ice cream! Every single kind! I never did get my Mickey Bar...

Did all the food stuff get bumped up? Or just the ODV carts?

Opus1guy
09-30-2006, 10:49 AM
And once you get your customers accustomed to $4.00...it's just so much easier to take the big $5 leap. Such a simple round number, don't you know.

disneyhound
09-30-2006, 12:45 PM
I imagine all the bagged candy prices will soon round up to the nearest dollar as well! Maybe Disney is looking to eliminate coinage from the park all together... :p

dohgusgus
09-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I was at DL last night (9/29) and went to get a Mickey Bar, and saw all the ice creams have been bumped up a quarter. :( Like the churro price, somehow $3.75 seems seems so much less expensive than $4, even though I know it's not.

And BTW, the stand I went to, in the hub, over an hour before fireworks, was completely out of ice cream! Every single kind! I never did get my Mickey Bar...

Did all the food stuff get bumped up? Or just the ODV carts?

$4 does seem like alot more.

Oh and we took our first WDW trip and stayed at POR TOO! Its a great hotel, you'll love it.

wardkimballfan
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Like the churro price, somehow $3.75 seems seems so much less expensive than $4, even though I know it's not. Fun fact: Despite popular claims to the contrary, $3.75 is less expensive than $4. It's exactly 25 cents less expensive.

Fun fact #2: People who are willing to pay $3.75 for an ice cream bar will easily pay $4 for the same bar. Given time, they will pay $4.25, then $4.50, then $4.75, then $5, and this process will continue until ice cream bars require a co-signer and a credit check to obtain.

cstephens
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know when the last time prices on ice cream and churros were raised? I get that people can get upset about price increases, but price increases happen all the time in society. Disney isn't immune.

wardkimballfan
09-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Disneyland, 2055:

Park admission, 1-day: $150.00

8 oz. of Coca-Cola: $15.00

4 oz. of ice cream: $18.00

1 churro: $16.00

Memories to last a lifetime: Priceless.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Rediculous. I will just go to Bengal BBQ and get a chicken skewer for a few cents more. I refuse to pay $4 for a churro or a Mickey head ice cream!

wardkimballfan
10-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Rediculous. I will just go to Bengal BBQ and get a chicken skewer for a few cents more. I refuse to pay $4 for a churro or a Mickey head ice cream!

Disneyland, 2055:

Chicken Skewer at Bengal BBQ: $30.00

;)

RStar
10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow, I think they were like $2 when I first got my AP in 1994!

Vegitabeta
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I was just saying today that I've never had one of those Mickey ice creams...well I can think of better things to spend the $4 on, so I guess I won't be getting one any time soon!

annieb727
10-01-2006, 12:15 PM
have they always made those with DARK chocolate?? When I was there last month - the mickey ice cream bars - vanilla ice cream with the chocolate shell outside - it was DARK chocolate. I remember liking them, but this time I didn't...did it change? Or am I just remembering wrong?

I Heart Disneyland!
10-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Disneyland, 2055:

Chicken Skewer at Bengal BBQ: $30.00

;)

I'd probably pay it! ;) ;) haha! Of course, it's rumored that they are closing it down, I am just happy it's been delayed so that I can have it again in November.

olegc
10-01-2006, 06:06 PM
And once you get your customers accustomed to $4.00...it's just so much easier to take the big $5 leap. Such a simple round number, don't you know.

actually - dlr is behind. Most sports venues already charge $5 for ice cream or frozen lemonade...

snowsbeau
10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I too was shocked that the Tollhouse Ice Cream sandwich is now $4 when I purchased one on Friday night!

The more I see of price hikes at the park, the more I long for the days when your folks would drop you and a couple of friends off at the gate. Handed you a twenty and told to have a good time and to call when you wanted to be picked up. This day included:

Entry - $8.25 for a junior ticket book. $9.25 for an adult entry. I still have one with A and B tickets in it.
Lunch - $6.00 for a MoonBurger/fries/soda at Tomorrowland Terrace. Those days are long gone!
Snacks - $2-3 for Popcorn/Cotton Candy/Ice Cream cone. Remember the Carnation Ice Cream area left of the castle?
Souvenir - $5 for a magic trick or a toy from the Emporium or even better a glass Mickey mug for Root Beer floats at home for 3.50!
And I brought home change!
I know this was about 1980 but geez, times have changed!

darph nader
10-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey, a quarter is'nt 'too' bad.When gas went up $.75 a gal everybody griped and moaned(myself included) but we paid it.When we went to D/L about 3 wks ago gas was about $2.68/gal here in town (almost $3.00 in Cal).:eek: Now that we're back it's down to $2.28.(thanks alot).:mad:

It's sad that wages don't go up at the same rate as prices.:crying:

THpoohbear
10-02-2006, 10:32 AM
have they always made those with DARK chocolate??

As far as I can remember, they've been made with dark chocolate - but I don't think I had one until the late '90s. I love dark chocolate, so I think they are yummy!

spectromen
10-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Interesting to note is that the Mickey Premium Bar is still only 2.50 at WDW as of last week.

THpoohbear
10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Interesting to note is that the Mickey Premium Bar is still only 2.50 at WDW as of last week.

Really? Wow. And here I was concerned that if they raised the price at WDW I wouldn't be able to use a snack credit to get one with the DP on my upcoming trip! That's good to know. But then I'm mad it's so much more expensive at DL. :|

JookyG
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
This is a 6% price increase for ice cream.

When was the last time the price of ice cream went up? Has it been at least 2 years? If so, the Producer Price Index has gone up 6.1% for the 2 years 2004-2005 (no data available for 2006). So it would seem Disney is merely keeping up with inflation.

In 10 years, inflation will have increased by another 30% or so, and your $4 ice cream will be $5.25. And you'll pay it because you can't sneak ice cream into the park in your pocket. Heck, maybe it'll even stay at $5 for a while, since that's a nice round number. Then everyone will have to complain about how low the price is staying :D

(Statistics provided by http://www.gpec.org/infocenter/Topics/Economy/USInflation.html)

tonytone
10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey, a quarter is'nt 'too' bad.When gas went up $.75 a gal everybody griped and moaned(myself included) but we paid it.When we went to D/L about 3 wks ago gas was about $2.68/gal here in town (almost $3.00 in Cal).:eek: Now that we're back it's down to $2.28.(thanks alot).:mad:

It's sad that wages don't go up at the same rate as prices.:crying:
But unlike gas, I seriously doubt that a Mickey Ice Cream bar or just about any other commodity available for personal consumption (i.e., food...and I'm not including discounts or specials) in DL/DCA/WDW will go down in price anytime soon--if not ever.

Sure--gas prices will probably never be as low as what they used to be 10 or more years ago (i.e., they'll be rising for many years--if not decades--to come), but at least they do fluctuate. When was the last time you saw the cost of a Mickey bar, a Bengal skewer, or even a 1-day DLR ticket fluctuate on a general basis?

It's simple why the cost of a Mickey bar or a churro has gone up (again)--pure business greed. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't cost a whole lot more--hardly little, at most--to make a churro now than it did prior to the price increase...and surely they didn't increase the price of a churro because the ODV folks just got a raise...

wardkimballfan
10-02-2006, 03:47 PM
And you'll pay it because you can't sneak ice cream into the park in your pocket.That's what you think, buddy! Just watch me! :p

moriaman14
10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
This is why i bring in outside food :fez:

darph nader
10-02-2006, 09:49 PM
But unlike gas, I seriously doubt that a Mickey Ice Cream bar or just about any other commodity available for personal consumption (i.e., food...and I'm not including discounts or specials) in DL/DCA/WDW will go down in price anytime soon--if not ever.

Sure--gas prices will probably never be as low as what they used to be 10 or more years ago (i.e., they'll be rising for many years--if not decades--to come), but at least they do fluctuate. When was the last time you saw the cost of a Mickey bar, a Bengal skewer, or even a 1-day DLR ticket fluctuate on a general basis?

It's simple why the cost of a Mickey bar or a churro has gone up (again)--pure business greed. I'm willing to bet that it doesn't cost a whole lot more--hardly little, at most--to make a churro now than it did prior to the price increase...and surely they didn't increase the price of a churro because the ODV folks just got a raise...

I know the prices at D/L will never go 'down',it's just that prices flucuate in some sectors,hotels and such,while others slowy rise. The goofyest I saw was $.51 for dipping sauce. Why not just $.50?:confused:

JookyG
10-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Simple, yes: inflation. How is a price hike that matches the inflation rate "pure business greed?"