PDA

View Full Version : DCA Golden Screams

Pages : [1] 2

potzbie
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I saw on the Disneyland/DCA calendar that "GOLDEN SCREAMS" is happening several times a day.

Who has seen it?

Is it a show? A film? A musical act?

(And where the heck is it located in DCA???)

chrisaustx
09-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I was at Golden Screams at 2pm today, I was told it is a 90 min. delay between shows, so I didn't wait. The guy told me it is a short movie and characters doing a stage show. I plan to go back this weekend to try to see it. Here are the photos from out front from today:
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/98789994-S.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/98789976-S.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/98790007-S.jpg
photos from today 9/29/06
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/gallery/1947036

mi_mous
09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Cool! I can't wait to go on Sunday! There will be new things to do and see!

Mommy2NicknMax
09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures!! I can't wait to see it myself! It's so good to see Mickey back and that big floral 50 gone. Sorry, I wasn't a fan.

kiwifuz
09-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmm so what's the short movie? Anyone? I really want to know :)

potzbie
09-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, i can't wait.
I will go to DCA Sunday and see for myself.
(Today, Saturday is football day, and I ain't goin' nowhere nohow for six straight hours, baby!)

jcruise86
09-30-2006, 09:35 PM
So how was it? (On Sunday)

Phantom2006
09-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I was not that impressed with it at all. I has under the impression that it was kind of like a meet and greet. They have some Villains out side but in side they show you a video, and you vote with your "scream" for who you like. The only villain they have inside, well I saw, was Captain Hook.

chrisaustx
10-01-2006, 12:31 AM
I felt the show needed improvement, I waited for 45 min to see it and was disappointed. The screen is a video projector, not film, showing clips from the major Disney films: Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc. It would have been nice if some special effects, simulated fire, smoke or something scary were to happen. The show is not worth a 45 min. wait in my opinion. Small kids who love to scream may enjoy the show, but it lacks creativity. Anything is better than the Whoppi Goldberg Golden Dreams Movie I guess, so I can't complain too much. I give the show 2 1/2 stars out of 5.

RStar
10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Is that suppose to be for little kids? Sounds kinda lame to me......

cstephens
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Total waste of time. My good deed will be to convince as many people as possible not to waste their time going to this. Go before the show starts so that you can see villains in the entrance to the queue and get their autographs and take their pictures and hear the spiffy if oddly-placed villains music, but the 20 minute show (which seems a *lot* longer) is not worth going to. I'll post details when I get a chance.

potzbie
10-02-2006, 12:20 AM
I was there today (Sunday Oct. 1) and saw the 5:00 pm show.

I got in line right after the Miner 49er set ended, 3:00, thinking I'd see the 3:30 pm show. But no! The line stretched to beyond the sketch artist location, almost to the "Golden Zephyr" ride. So I waited to see the 5:00 pm show. Holy cow! Net result for me: I waited from 3:00 pm onward for a 5:00 pm show! Boy, were my feet tired from standing! I recommend 45 minutes, since 30 minutes is too close to cutoff, obviously, and 1 hour is too long, and implies that you will be in the first 40 people in the line, which takes up 15 minutes of unnecessary time. So 45 minutes ahead of the show hour is the best time to show up. -- Unless you have a lot of free time on your hands and don't mind standing in line. The theater seats 300, a CastMember said.

The good news is:
They got villains happening. The PINOCCHIO villain characters "Fox" and "Cat" (I don't recall their "names") were doing the photo op thing outside, in front of the dome, and inside the dome. Later, "Capt. Hook" and "Queen of Hearts" likewise did the photo op thing. If you remember, my "wish list" of 2005 said, "More villains!", and finally DL management has taken the hint of many and finally got a villain-central event daily. I think it absolutely wonderful that the villains get real photo ops.

The bad news is:
The actual show inside the theater is a little on the lame side. The video is on DVD. (I know it is a DVD because there were sudden "technical difficulties," and the generic logo of the DVD player or DVD software ("TASCAM DVD" ) appeared on the screen where a villain vignette was supposed to be showing.) The idea is/was, they show the villains, and you, the audience, vote with screams, who is your favorite villain. The emcee consults the Magic Mirror, and then announces the "winner" of the poll.

But it was Disney-ish, and I liked the show. But to wait 2 hours for a 20 minute show which had no pizazz was overkill for my patience and my feet, sad to say.

I cannot describe the ending of the show in regular text, since that would be a spoiler for the show. Don't look!
The emcee announces the "winner" as one of the children sitting in the audience. The child comes up front to the emcee, shows off his best "scream," and takes a villain oath. And then Captain Hook shows up for some interplay with the emcee.

Surprise observation: It has nothing to do with Halloween. The actual show and the decorations are just "scream"-related. There is no holiday/seasonal tie-in at all to pumpkins or trick-or-treat. Just scream-related stuff. So, in theory, DL management could have done this event in the Summer, and no one would notice anything strange. Heck, they should have done this gimmick back when the new ride, MIKE AND SULLY TO THE RESCUE, was having its grand opening.

But, to repeat, the audience laughed (at the right places), and the emcee was super-duper, and the technical difficulties actually added an element of entertainment unanticipated by the emcee, who improvised some time-filler activities (e.g., "Who here is from outside of California? From outside of the United States?"). Really, it is the emcee which makes the show tick. A good emcee will make a difference, since his spiel is most of the show.

averagedork
10-02-2006, 06:01 AM
I think Potzie and I were in the same show. Where were you in line? I was the 3rd-ish person. There were 2 big men in front of me (who brought in family about ten minutes before they let us into the formal queue.).

I was mad at the end of the show. I was expecting a lot more and it was this non-sensical story where you're at an awards show for the best scream, but there were no villians (Captian Hook excluding) inside. There was nothing spooky, the whole...it just GIGANTICALLY LACKED. And then the winner of the scream, wtf? Where did that come from. Oh and the Magic Mirror, the animation on him was so bad it looked like he was melting. It was beyond bad. I was mad that I waited 2 hours, was mad that I saw the 20+ minute show, I was just angry about the whole thing.

Oh! And what I loved was when the projector/DVD player broke the host basically made fun of the Australians who he asked to stand up and count, then had the audience laugh.

I left thinking "wow, wow, Disney's CA Adventure is just where Mickey poops!"

Doodle Duck
10-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I felt trapped in the seat. Bad projection of grainy clips...an over the top 'Game Show' host and one character (The Queen Of Hearts)...to think we could have rode Screamin' a few more times.

Suggestion to Disney...

1. Be up front that it's just a Clip show...2. Show a CLASSIC cartoon like 'Skeleton Dance' or 'Trick Or Treat'...have continuous showings.

Really lame and a total waste of time.

potzbie
10-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I think Potzie and I were in the same show. Where were you in line? I was the 3rd-ish person. There were 2 big men in front of me (who brought in family about ten minutes before they let us into the formal queue.).

I must have been about 5th in line for the five o'clock show. I forget.
I was, technically, behind two women (who snacked on McDonalds and who read magazines and the Orange County Register while waiting); and in front of a family with a man wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt.
(I myself wore a Hawaiian shirt, too, and a hat with a circular brim.)

"Queue, too?" :)

ChipmunkStar
10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
The good news is:
They got villains happening. The PINOCCHIO villain characters "Fox" and "Cat" (I don't recall their "names") were doing the photo op thing outside, in front of the dome, and inside the dome.

That would be Gideon ("cat"), and J. Worthington Foulfellow [aka Foulfellow Fox, aka Honest John] ("fox")

Frogberto
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Wow, we were the last people in that same show, the 5pm show. They turned away a bunch of people in the sold out 300 person theater, and told them to come back at 12pm tomorrow.

Wife and I laughed a lot at the TASCAM DVD PLAYER screen, as they had major technical difficulties. (The emcee was good though, joking 'what Disney release was Tascam DVD player?"). But this show has very little "repeatability", so I wouldn't recommend it.

Although Captain Hook appeared in our show, from photos online I see that they "mix it up", and that the Queen of Hearts showed up in another show once they announced the child winner.

mom2brent alyssa
10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Is Golden Screams scary? Pirates and Haunted Mansion do not scare my kids, but for some reason the 4D movies do. Can someone that's seen it give me a little synopsis of what it's about?

Thanks!

potzbie
10-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Is Golden Screams scary?

Not scary. -- At all.
It is as scary as the queue to MIKE AND SULLY TO THE RESCUE, i.e., everything is clean and neat and meant to be fun, not frightening.
No "monsters", just "villains."

No "4-D" film. (What is a 4-D film?)
Just a (DVD) vignette clip of Disney villains of length (6 x 10 = ) 60 seconds long.
The whole shebang is meant to be "kid friendly."
The emcee makes it funny.

Late thought: If your child is afraid of CAPT. HOOK, or afraid of QUEEN OF HEARTS costumed characters, then stay away, since one of the villains does make an appearance. But his/her appearance is similar to that of any photo op. The voice is dubbed in from the p.a. speakers, and the character pretends to speak the words. You've seen Mickey Mouse "pantomine" this exact way countless times.

slydini
10-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Not scary. -- At all.

I would have to disagree with that statement. While the show itself has little scare factor- My son, who is two, was very scared of the two Chernebog Statues at the front of the stage. He almost left. They are quite imposing.

I suppose it all boils down to what perspective you are viewing it from.

averagedork
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I must have been about 5th in line for the five o'clock show. I forget.
I was, technically, behind two women (who snacked on McDonalds and who read magazines and the Orange County Register while waiting); and in front of a family with a man wearing a blue Hawaiian shirt.
(I myself wore a Hawaiian shirt, too, and a hat with a circular brim.)

"Queue, too?" :)

Oh my goodness... that was us. I was the one sitting on the floor. We were irked at the whole sit because we planned on going to the 3 something show and figured out our meal plan accordingly, but because we were waiting for the 5pm show, so had to get something tiny to eat. And I always care magazines (and that day the comics because it was Sunday) at Disneyland. It's how I get through the lines. You had your wife and a son right? I remember that the whole group of people in our area were weirded out by that one lady who waited until just about the end adn then left. It was weird.

What irked me was that family in front. There were 2 guys and suddenly 8 people, pushing, and stepping on my toes. I nearly said mean things

snappy
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
OMG---Just say this my girlfriend and I fell asleep during this show. I think the Imagineer's fell asleep while thinking this one up. Renamed to Golden Tears.

mulansgirl
10-11-2006, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed it my husbands favorite character is Chernabog, so we made sure to get pictures of the outside and inside we went with five adults, two two year olds and a one year old all behaved really well and even enjoyed it and clapped with us for our favorites. To tell the truth I forgot Stromboli was such a horrable person, really mean. I love villians and he just went too far. I also loved seeing Madam Medusa again, she really dosent get enough love. I always get goosebumps when Night on Bald Mountain comes on so I thought that was genious really set the mood. I wanted to go back again to be the best screamer, I do have a pretty darn good scream, but didnt think they would pick me since I am a grown-up. So I may be the only one but I enjoyed it. I do wish they would bring back a villians store. My wait was only about fifteen minutes and we were pretty early.

disneyhound
10-11-2006, 02:11 PM
...Renamed to Golden Tears.

Maybe Golden Slumber. Next we will have people reminiscing about the good old days with Whoopie!

MuckaMowie
10-14-2006, 07:33 PM
We saw it Wednesday. I now have a new-found appreciation for Golden DREAMS because I wish I had been able to sleep through the whole thing!