PDA

View Full Version : Groups that visit annually and when?

Mom2
09-29-2006, 01:27 AM
I really would hate to be at Disneyland when they have reached capacity...and I have been there during certain times of the year that they are darn packed, like Memorial Day. What are some of the groups or events that visit regularly that make a huge impact on the crowds and when do they visit generally? I am talking about LARGE groups of people, like I hear LA has 750,000 students so if you figure in even a small percentage of them visiting Disneyland, the place will be extra busy.

I was hoping to obtain information on estimate # in the groups and what month or week they typically attend. Can you please add to the list or change as necessary? Thanks!:)

This is what I have so far:

Bat Days

Gay Days

Choc Walk

Oregon Groups?

Ohio Groups?

LA School District Out-Special Planning Days, Spring Break, & Fall Intercession?

Holidays-Memorial Day, July 4th, Christmas Day

09-29-2006, 04:13 AM
Here's the Anaheim Convention Center's schedule of events. (http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/events.cfm)

backsthepack
09-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Some point in March the cheerleaders are there. We hit it twice when they were there and it was so crowded.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 06:30 AM
I had not even thought of checking the convention center schedule, thanks. If anyone has any more information, estimates on the crowds and when they come for the above groups; along iwth the cheerleaders, that would be great. Thanks!:)

adriennek
09-29-2006, 07:17 AM
I really would hate to be at Disneyland when they have reached capacity...and I have been there during certain times of the year that they are darn packed, like Memorial Day. What are some of the groups or events that visit regularly that make a huge impact on the crowds and when do they visit generally?

Capacity is really rare. School holidays like planning days don't even come close. LA Unified has a lot of students but their demographic can't all come close to affording tickets to Disneyland.

Don't plan a trip around July 4 or during Christmas break, especially the week between Christmas and New Years.

It would probably be easier just to ask about a specific date than to say "Which dates to avoid"? Every year someone says "When is spring break?" The answer is "March through April and especially the weeks before and after Easter." So many groups have so many spring breaks it's hard to peg down exact dates.

But capacity? Like I said before (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=943847&postcount=12), that's pretty rare.

Adrienne

ShirleyFilms
09-29-2006, 07:30 AM
I found this site a while back that shows attendence and other figures in graph form. I do not know how they got their data, but the past few times I have gone... it has been pretty accurate.

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

Mom2
09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I guess it is not capacity I am worried about it when I think about it. But I do remember crowds once that were so jam packed. I am pretty sure it was Memorial Day weekend. What was I thinking?!?! LOL.

Thanks, I will check out that link too.

My trip is Oct 5-10, I just wanted to know about the group and attendance for future trips. I figured this might be helpful for some who really save for a long time to go and would not want to be disappointed to find such large crowds.

So I guess the question really is, when are the slow times? Besides of course the generalized "Value Season" which, according to Mousesavers is supposed to be roughly January, February, last three weeks of October, first three weeks of November, and first three weeks of December.

backsthepack
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Oct 5th through the 10th are Fall break dates for most of the schools in Arizona. I know a lot of us will be heading that way! But I doubt that will cause it to be that much more crowded than normal.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Yep, I am in Tucson, Arizona. Our flal breaks are starting Monday, Oct. 9.
I know that there are some schools in Glendales, Arizona that have fall break the following week, starting Monday, Oct.16. I g ues its a hit and miss really...many people love to escape any chance they get. I love going in October, its a nice break between summer and the holidays.

ShirleyFilms
09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
So I guess the question really is, when are the slow times? Besides of course the generalized "Value Season" which, according to Mousesavers is supposed to be roughly January, February, last three weeks of October, first three weeks of November, and first three weeks of December.

The smallest crowds I have ever seen were in mid-February. Never in line more than 10 minutes. Of course, it was a little rainy here and there... (small world canoes were a little flooded one night). But being able to walk from Pirates to Matterhorn and only passing 2 other people was incredible (the rain really drives people away). What was great about it... was that it wansn't THAT cold in February (and I am a whimp when it comes to cold). If I could PLAN a trip in the rain... I would!

The downside of that trip was that Space Mountain AND Splash Mountain were closed for refurbishment. So. Check out the ride closures in the off-season, to be sure.

But we also went the last week in April this year... and it wasnt bad at all. We were able to ride 20+ things a day (using Ridemax).

The Real Cinderella
09-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't forget UEA. All Utah schools are out for several days in early October, definitely falls in your time frame of the 5th through the 10th. This has been discussed in other threads. Everyone I know heads to Disneyland that weekend, so expect a Utah invasion! Search the site for "UEA" and you'll find more info.

09-29-2006, 10:40 AM

We were at the DLR over Columbus Day weekend two years ago. It was perfect - light crowds, nice weather, you could still easily swim in the hotel pools even in the evening, Haunted Mansion Holiday was up.

So when we go again, it will be early October.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't forget UEA. All Utah schools are out for several days in early October, definitely falls in your time frame of the 5th through the 10th. This has been discussed in other threads. Everyone I know heads to Disneyland that weekend, so expect a Utah invasion! Search the site for "UEA" and you'll find more info.

Thanks. I believe that we may be luck enough to miss some of that particular crowd, since if I am not mistaken they are off starting the 12th. We are leaving on the 10th. But then again, who says they wont start vacation early? I am sure it will be busy enough for us as it is...Gay Days, Choc Walk and Columbus Day.

MrVisible
09-29-2006, 04:21 PM
We're heading there from Tucson on the 6th through 10th too, Mom2. Maybe we'll run into one another.

We were there a couple of years ago on Easter weekend, and people were remarking on how crowded it was. It didn't bother us, though, we just took our time, knowing that we had four days there, and used Darkbeer's incredibly useful guide to the Fastpass system.

It seems to me that Disneyland is built to be crowded. All the people just added to the excitement and the fun.

ministrychick77
09-29-2006, 05:58 PM
i went last year from sept 18th to the 22nd and it wasn't really that crowded..

also rained a day or two while we were there, so that cleared the park out a little...

Ms.Pecks
09-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I swear I have a picture from Christmas 3 years ago when there wasn't one person between HM and pirates and this was a couple of days before Christmas. Of course it was raining a little and was a year or two before the 50th,but it was one of the best trips we ever had! I think it was the last El Nino and they are predicting an El Nino this year. I remember riding Grizzly and not having to get off for at least four rotations.

BlkPearlCptn
09-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Last Saturday in June is "Unofficial Star Wars Day). We have had 2 so far, and our T-shirt sales go to fight Cancer. (I think we were upwards of 300 last year).

But my favorite time of year to go is either early Fall or early Spring, middle of the week, with a slight drizzle. The place is just empty and georgous!

Mom2
09-30-2006, 02:29 AM
Last Saturday in June is "Unofficial Star Wars Day). We have had 2 so far, and our T-shirt sales go to fight Cancer. (I think we were upwards of 300 last year).

But my favorite time of year to go is either early Fall or early Spring, middle of the week, with a slight drizzle. The place is just empty and georgous!
Wow that just sounds wonderful to me! I love a little drizzle and a cool day.
Thats wonderful what your group is doing to fight cancer, awesome! :cool:

MadasaHatter
09-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I am going to be in Disneyland OCT. 5-9 also....Keep in mind that busy is relative to those days. Thursday and FridayDAY will probably be really light....that is the time to get all of the main rides out of your system. Go in EARLY and take a nap if you need to. For Saturday we will save things like the ALADDIN show, Billy Hill and Tom Sawyer's Island and our character breakfast at PLAZA INN. Thursday and Friday we won't take long meal breaks. We will let our first time 8 year old visitor call the FAST PASSES to get on Saturday for her favorite rides. THe park is also open late on SUNDAY so that will be a big plus. I went last year for GAY DAYS but it wasn't a three day weekend so that changes things too. And we entered the park late on Thursday and the waits were never longer than 15 minutes for Space Mountain and the rest were about 5 tops!!!!! So after Thursday we had ridden about75percent of BOTH DCA and DL!!! Oh, also get your fill of the ROLLER COASTER CALIFORNIA SCREAMIN' before it closes down on Monday. My sister missed it last year and will be cranky if we don't ride it before Monday. See you all in the park.....