PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland parking toll booths robbed -- OC Register

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew
09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Disneyland parking toll booths robbed (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1291046.php) -- OC Register, 2006-09-28

A parking toll-booth attendant was robbed Tuesday, the second armed robbery at a Disneyland lot in the past two weeks, authorities said.

Two unidentified men drove up in a dark-colored Porsche at about 3:50 p.m. Tuesday. One man got out of the car, walked up to the toll booth and demanded all the money in the cash box. A weapon was seen by the attendant but never pointed. The man was given the money, returned to the vehicle and drove off very quickly, said Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

AcuraTL
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
In a Porsche? What, they needed gas money?

I Heart Disneyland!
09-28-2006, 10:54 PM
What an idiot thing to do. Rob a toll booth. :geek:

jMom
09-28-2006, 11:28 PM
If my kids were working the toll booths, I'd be very worried about their safety.

kiwifuz
09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Takes planning to know how to quickly exit after robbing the booth. Wow, seriously I'm really surprised that someone is robbing DL!

Mom2
09-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I have to say that this really scares me. There has been a lot of talk about people getting angry at others in line, while waiting for Fantasmic holding seats for others...not to mention people stealing others strollers and taking their things off of them. This was just recently in the weekly update on DL here on MousePlanet. I wonder if the groups are related? It kind of saddens me and worries me about the safety of the guests in general...I mean, if this has not already been discussed, it may be another topic, but is Disneyland going to someday need metal detectors? And with the most recent events of not being able to even take any sort of liquids and things on an airplane...what about our safety in Disneyland? I sure hope they dont stop us from taking our bottled water and sunscreen, etc, in the park in the near future. This is just sad. And what did the guy with the Porsche need that money for anyway...makes me wonder if it was just a prank, a dare, gang type of event or just random act of stupidness by some kid taking out their fathers Porsche...or terrorism starting out small...sad.

A little worried about our upcoming trip next week...but then again, with all of this happening (the robbery at the booth along with the recent stroller incidents), I am sure they will be stepping up security measures right?

PAPACITO
09-29-2006, 01:09 AM
This happened at the both located on Magic way as your going into the Pinnochio parking.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 01:16 AM
I am really glad that no one got hurt. Just wondering if this is a sign or more to come with all the recent storller events as well. I really hope not. That is just sad for people to try and ruin THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH! :mad:

PAPACITO
09-29-2006, 08:41 AM
THe cm's who this happened to are ok and back to work again.

Tinker Bell
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I wonder why when I went yesterday that there was so much security in the parking garage.

h_lehmann
09-29-2006, 09:30 AM
I have to say that this really scares me. There has been a lot of talk about people getting angry at others in line, while waiting for Fantasmic holding seats for others...not to mention people stealing others strollers and taking their things off of them. This was just recently in the weekly update on DL here on MousePlanet. I wonder if the groups are related?..............

Uh...Right. I don't know how often the Disney toll booths have been robbed at gunpoint in the last 50 years, and I suppose I'd be a little more vigilant if I was working in one (at least for a little while), but to say that there's any obvious connection between this incident and the cheapskates that swipe strollers rather than pay for their own is really reaching.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Uh...Right. I don't know how often the Disney toll booths have been robbed at gunpoint in the last 50 years, and I suppose I'd be a little more vigilant if I was working in one (at least for a little while), but to say that there's any obvious connection between this incident and the cheapskates that swipe strollers rather than pay for their own is really reaching.
Listen...I would not minimize what is going on with the strollers. There are people who feel safe at Disneyland and have found their stuff gone. That is sad. Sure, they shouldnt make it obvious that they are leaving a purse or an expensive camera on their stroller and should probably bring it on a ride or lock it away in a locker...but I wouldnt say it was "reaching". I just find it strange that the events are happening so close at the same time. It is my opinion that the timing is odd. Okay, I did say that this really scares me...it does a bit, concern me more...Am I going to go to Disney full of fear? NO. Heck no. Just makes me so mad that there are idiots out there that pull these kinds of stunts in general.

annieb727
09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
oops double post

annieb727
09-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Sure, they shouldnt make it obvious that they are leaving a purse or an expensive camera on their stroller and should probably bring it on a ride or lock it away in a locker...but I wouldnt say it was "reaching".

When I was there, I was going onto buzz...I saw a lady grab her purse and take it OUT of the stroller, and then put it INTO the backpack that was still on the stroller and walk away (without the purse or backpack)! she did it so obviously too! I was shocked...hopefully no one dishonest saw her do it. If you're going to leave things in strollers you have to realize someone may take it...be smart about what you leave in there!

crrees
09-29-2006, 09:54 AM
im not surprised to hear about a toll booth getting robbed, the attendee has really no where to run to or to call help, but what seems odd is the porsche was able to turn around and get away without getting security on his tail the minute he leaves

maybe the attendee was in a state of shock after the robbing

Mom2
09-29-2006, 09:59 AM
And besides, who says the stroller theives didnt decide to stop what they were doing and step it up a notch? From what I hear, when people like this get away with one thing for too long, the challenge and excitement is gone (sick, I know) and they may have decided to verture further and for some reason saw Disney as an easy target. Anyone, give me one good reason that it couldnt be the "stroller people"?

annieb727-I can believe that someone did that. I have seen it too. The day and age we live in, it is obvious that you are setting yourself up for disaster, but that just says how safe everyone has felt at Disney. Hopefully we will get there again and the crime will go down now that Disney will be stepping up security. I bet there will be security in regular clothes at Disney, if they arent doing that already.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
im not surprised to hear about a toll booth getting robbed, the attendee has really no where to run to or to call help, but what seems odd is the porsche was able to turn around and get away without getting security on his tail the minute he leaves

maybe the attendee was in a state of shock after the robbing

I would bet they were in a state of shock for sure. Did the report say that security did not arrive until way later? Maybe they did arrive but not keep up, they were driving a fast car. I thought they had security and cameras and etc in the parking garage. Maybe they will be getting more cameras too.

annieb727
09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm wondering if they vehicles didn't even enter the parking area...it says they GOT OUT of the car and walked up to the booth. If the car was left OUTSIDE Of the parking structure then it would be a lot easier to get away and a lot harder to get a plate number (like on security cameras). But then again, I've never used the parking structures, so I have no idea how they work.

tod
09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
And besides, who says the stroller theives didnt decide to stop what they were doing and step it up a notch? From what I hear, when people like this get away with one thing for too long, the challenge and excitement is gone (sick, I know) and they may have decided to verture further and for some reason saw Disney as an easy target. Anyone, give me one good reason that it couldnt be the "stroller people"?

Because sneak thieves probably wouldn't "move up" to armed robbery. More likely they'd move on to pickpocketing. There's a difference between preying on unsuspecting guests and taking on Disneyland itself by pulling a gun on a parking lot attendant.

--t

Mom2
09-29-2006, 12:06 PM
It is at least possible that the two are related. I am sure all leads in regard to suspicious activity will get a closer look. I really think its hard to say what the theives would do next. Not to mention, it is at least possible that it was the other way around...armed robbers "moving down?" in their level of crime. I read some posts about people carrying HUNDREDS of dollars and expensive cameras and stuff on their strollers. Multiply that times several strollers and its a lot of money and items to pawn. Is it that far off from the amount of money at the booths? None of us knows how often the money is picked up, so maybe it wasnt even a lot of money? From what I have seen and heard, anything is possible for someone who makes criminal activity a part of their life...but the boredom factor could defininately come into play. Maybe we should be wondering if one of the robberies was related to the first or if the idea was given to the second robbery by the first. It really doesnt matter to me. I am not interested in debating it, its just my opinion. All I know is that I am glad that no one got hurt.

ETA: I also think that they are taking on Disneyland itself in a sence, because it is their guests that are being affected...and they are having to step up security inside the park as well. I dont think that these people really care who they are hurting, as long as they get what they want.

The old man
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM

annieb727-I can believe that someone did that. I have seen it too. The day and age we live in, it is obvious that you are setting yourself up for disaster, but that just says how safe everyone has felt at Disney. Hopefully we will get there again and the crime will go down now that Disney will be stepping up security. I bet there will be security in regular clothes at Disney, if they arent doing that already.
Stroller thieves--who do what? Take them to a stroller fence who gives them lots of cash? And these people decide that fencing strollers doesn't pay well enough decided to get into their Porshe (which probably wouldn't hold a lot of strollers) and rob the toll booth. And this doesn't sound like too much of a reach?

Mom2
09-29-2006, 02:41 PM
NO, the strollers are not being taken, the items on the stroller. Read the weekly updates here on Mouseplanet...no need to make insulting remarks The OLD Man.

The Porsche could have even been stolen. I simply stated "I wonder if the groups are related." I am not sure why several of you are getting defensive here...I have an opinion and am entitled to it. Why the heck does it matter if they were related or not? I guess thats my fault for opening the can of worms, by brining it up in the first place.

I was talking out loud in a sense, just stating what immediately came to mind that the two events are happening so close together in timeframe. As far as I know, crime doesnt usually occur on or around Disney property, so this is a bit out of the blue.

mckygirl99
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
If my kids were working the toll booths, I'd be very worried about their safety.

Remember, Anaheim is not the safest place. I teach in the city and we are told to not park in a certain part of the school after a certain hour. The porsche could have been a really old one too. Knowing the city the way I do, it does not surprise me!

Mom2
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Here is the article incase anyone would like to read it:

Watch your stroller
Recent weeks have seen Disneyland hit by what appears to be a relatively well organized string of stroller thefts in the park. That is, they aren't stealing the strollers, but rather the contents of strollers left outside park attractions while guests ride.

The thiefs simply walk up to the stroller and wander off with it as if it is there own. They then go to another quieter location, take whatever they want out of the stroller and then leave it behind. The result is that most people end up reunited with their strollers but not with the stuff left inside the stroller.

It is, of course, common sense that you shouldn't leave anything of value inside a stroller while you're away from it but as people get tired throughout the day and begin to accumulate more and more stuff the temptation to use the stroller as a mobile storage device gets stronger. Look closely at strollers left in various "stroller parking lots" around Disneyland and you'll be amazed at what people leave behind.

So, even though it goes without saying, consider it said that especially right now you should be extremely cautious about leaving anything of value unattended with a stroller.

Mom2
09-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Remember, Anaheim is not the safest place. I teach in the city and we are told to not park in a certain part of the school after a certain hour. The porsche could have been a really old one too. Knowing the city the way I do, it does not surprise me!
I actually had no idea that the problem was so serious in Anaheim. Of course crime is everywhere.