PDA

View Full Version : "The Official Guide to Disneyland" places the Original Tomorrowland in 198*7*

animagusurreal
09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Someone has probably already pointed this out, but today I was taking a look at the 2007 Birnbaum's Offical Guide to Disneyland in a bookstore, and the description of Tommorowland placed the original Tomorrowland in "the far-off year of 1987."

If Birnbaum had only watched the episode of "American Dragon: Jake Long", where Jake went back in time to 1986 just before the passing of Halley's Comet, perhaps he would have remembered that the original Tomorrowland
took place in that year, to commemorate the passing of the comet.

Of course, there is a history for this sort of thing:

"And, here in Disneyland, the year is Eighteen....Nineteen-Eighty-Six, folks, Nineteen-Eighty-Six, that's way ahead!"

- Bob Cummings, "Dateline: Disneyland" opening day special.

But at least he caught himself.

Please note, I'm not this nitpicky about anything but Disneyland stuff :fez: .

Also, I'm feeling rather paranoid now that that quote was actually said by Linkletter or one of the other hosts and I'm going to get busted for hypocrisy, but I'm pretty sure it was Cummings ;) .

bradk
09-28-2006, 06:48 AM
while i think that is a very minor point, it wouldn't be the first time birnbaum's was off the mark on something. as the official line, it's one of the worst guidebooks i've ever read. dunno if i've read the disneyland version actually, but i despise the wdw version.

cstephens
09-30-2006, 08:44 AM
As I recall, this was the guide that expounded on how polite and courteous all Southern California drivers were...