PDA

View Full Version : The Little Mermaid Ride

Pages : [1] 2 3

Phantom2006
09-27-2006, 06:01 PM
So I was watching the Little Mermaid on DVD. On there theyhave "the ride that never was built". Well They should have really built it. It looks really cool. Oh yea I have the movie a week early because I work at Hollywood Video and I bought it early.

bradk
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah, i totally agree... all of that second disc is awesome... i meant to finish watching it and put up a full review but i'm just lazy :) but the attraction bit is really neat... especially all the features

The old man
09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
So I was watching the Little Mermaid on DVD. On there theyhave "the ride that never was built". Well They should have really built it. It looks really cool. Oh yea I have the movie a week early because I work at Hollywood Video and I bought it early.
I know where the Hollywood Video is where you work. Are they aware that they are in violation of street date? Would Disney be interested?

kiwifuz
09-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I was always told that people that worked at video stores could buy things early so that they could tell the customer what's on the DVD? dunno

Anyway, a Little Mermaid ride... Could be cool if done right, but I could see the facination wearing off quickly.

Phantom2006
09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I know where the Hollywood Video is where you work. Are they aware that they are in violation of street date? Would Disney be interested?

Really? you know what store I work at? There are about 3 HV in Oceanside. But anyway we are allowed to buy movies early. I even asked my mananger today before I took it out of the box and she said I could. We are just not allowed to sell it to customers. I also bought Star Wars and The Incredibles early.

Vegitabeta
09-28-2006, 02:54 AM
The dvd comes out here on November 6th, and I can't wait! I've got the original dvd release and the only special feature listed on there is 'subtitles'...what a joke! Anyhoo, a Little Mermaid ride would be very nice, I would rather have that than Nemo stuff!

The old man
09-28-2006, 05:46 AM
I was always told that people that worked at video stores could buy things early so that they could tell the customer what's on the DVD? dunno

Incorrect.

The old man
09-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Really? you know what store I work at? There are about 3 HV in Oceanside. But anyway we are allowed to buy movies early. I even asked my mananger today before I took it out of the box and she said I could. We are just not allowed to sell it to customers. I also bought Star Wars and The Incredibles early.
Try two. And your "mananger" (sic) is wrong.

my3girls
09-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Do you have some proof to back up your statement? You seem so absolutely sure you're correct but I have yet to see any verification that your remarks are correct and not more pot stirring. :|

disneyochem
09-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Incorrect.

Hey, Old Man, how about a little bit of explanation for your response? Maybe it is my scientific background and training, but a little bit of data (or reasoning) behind your answer would be nice. As it is, I tend to discount what you are saying whereas the other poster has real-life experience that appears reasonable and correct.

Please do not take this the wrong way--I am just interested in why you are so firm and resolute in your responses.

stan4d_steph
09-28-2006, 06:11 AM
What's on the DVD exactly? Do they have the concept sketches? Interviews with the Imagineers involved?

The old man
09-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Hey, Old Man, how about a little bit of explanation for your response? Maybe it is my scientific background and training, but a little bit of data (or reasoning) behind your answer would be nice. As it is, I tend to discount what you are saying whereas the other poster has real-life experience that appears reasonable and correct.

Please do not take this the wrong way--I am just interested in why you are so firm and resolute in your responses.

11 years with the largest video store chain in the world (hint: not Hollywood Video.) Six of those years were as the inventory/product manager for over 450 stores--every non-franchise store in CA, WA, NV, AZ & WA.

Now I am no longer in that business (decided to leave a dying business [look at the stock prices for all the video store chains]), but I'd be surprised if the street date policy has changed. The Video Dealers association had a hotline to report violations. If this has changed I stand corrected.

Back to the topic at hand: I love the LM show in WDW and would have liked to seen a ride in DL or DCA.

bradk
09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
as far as the ride goes, there's a brief video featuring the imagineers explaining it, but the ride was so close to fruition, that they have all the models for it. for the DVD though, they actually created a CG ride-through (complete with english & spanish announcements). alternative views while going through the ride include seeing a live map of where you are in the attraction, seeing a camera pan through one of the models as you go through it, seeing a storyboard version of it or even riding through the CG model with the 'lights on' for some segments of it.

there's also an optional commentary by Tony Baxter who provides some (a lot) insight into the implementation of composing a 4 minute ride based on a 90 minute film.

hjschulz
09-28-2006, 07:26 AM
11 years with the largest video store chain in the world (hint: not Hollywood Video.) Six of those years were as the inventory/product manager for over 450 stores--every non-franchise store in CA, WA, NV, AZ & WA.

Now I am no longer in that business (decided to leave a dying business [look at the stock prices for all the video store chains]), but I'd be surprised if the street date policy has changed. The Video Dealers association had a hotline to report violations. If this has changed I stand corrected.

Back to the topic at hand: I love the LM show in WDW and would have liked to seen a ride in DL or DCA.

Must not be because I worked for Walmart for a while and they used to let us buy all kinds of movies before the release date.

The old man
09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Must not be because I worked for Walmart for a while and they used to let us buy all kinds of movies before the release date.
Perhaps no one cares anymore. It used to be a big issue due to unfair competition.

Phantom2006
09-28-2006, 08:06 AM
What's on the DVD exactly? Do they have the concept sketches? Interviews with the Imagineers involved?

This is what it says on the back of the box:

-Under The Sea Adventure: A Virtuak Ride Inspired By Walt Disney Imangineering
-Experience The Theme Park Ride That Was Almost Built - Ride It And Go Behind The Scenes.
-DisneyPedia: Life Under The Sea
- Learn About The Real-Life Animals That Insipred The Movie Characters.
-Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
-Exclusive Animated Short, The Little Match Girl
-Treasures Untold: The Making Of The Little Mermaid
-The Little Mermaid III Sneek Peek
-All-New Kiss The Girl Video Preformed by Ashley Tisdale

There are also concept art and there are a few other little things.

amarvel
09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Now i really cant wait for this to come out. ill probably watch the 2nd disk first. Sounds like a cool thing to include. Too bad they never made the ride!

bradk
09-28-2006, 08:24 AM
the 2nd disc also includes a 45 minute documentary on the making of the film, mostly as interviews featuring Roy Disney, Jeffrey Katzenberg and various other surprise interviewees such as John Waters. A lot of archival footage of Howard Ashman as well, who was of course integral to the success of the film as well as a few of the following films.

Vegitabeta
09-28-2006, 10:09 AM
This is what it says on the back of the box:

-Under The Sea Adventure: A Virtuak Ride Inspired By Walt Disney Imangineering
-Experience The Theme Park Ride That Was Almost Built - Ride It And Go Behind The Scenes.
-DisneyPedia: Life Under The Sea
- Learn About The Real-Life Animals That Insipred The Movie Characters.
-Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
-Exclusive Animated Short, The Little Match Girl
-Treasures Untold: The Making Of The Little Mermaid
-The Little Mermaid III Sneek Peek
-All-New Kiss The Girl Video Preformed by Ashley Tisdale

There are also concept art and there are a few other little things.
I know sometimes you guys get better/more/different extras on dvds than we get here, do you think all that will be on the English version?

And Little Mermiad 3? What the...:eek:

bradk
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
the funny thing about little mermaid 3 is she's a mermaid again. dunno if it's is some sort of prequel or she somehow ends going back or what.

ima_mickeyfan
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
so why did the ride never happen?

junglemom
09-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I always hoped the submarine voyage would be Little Mermaid themed.

bradk
09-28-2006, 10:41 AM
the dvd never explains why it never happened, but dates the project as late as 1992.

annieb727
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
my roommate in college worked at blockbuster and always brought movies home before the release date - she said the same thing about previewing the movies to tell customers - that was probably 7 years ago (in Oregon).

Dexter
09-28-2006, 01:33 PM
For what it's worth, I used to work for Blockbuster as well, we had a manager open a box with pochahontas videos in it before the date stamped on the box and our district manager terminated her for violating the street date rule. There should be a large orange sticker on the box that says something to the effect of "DO NOT OPEN/SELL UNTIL <DATE>." It apparently was a big deal in 1995. We were told that if we opened any of the boxes before the dates stamped on them we could expect the same fate. We weren't even allowed to accept them into inventory until the night before let alone watch them. What a difference a decade makes.