PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Legs

EVILMICKEY
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey all, my DGF was just told that the Turkey Legs at DLR are actualy Emu Legs? Is this true, say it ain't so Joe... :crying:

annieb727
09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey all, my DGF was just told that the Turkey Legs at DLR are actualy Emu Legs? Is this true, say it ain't so Joe... :crying:

I think she's pulling YOUR leg. I don't think they could sell them as turkey legs if they were Emu...and it would cost disney a lot more to sell Emu than it would to sell Turkey.

The Real Cinderella
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Ah ... add it to the list of reasons to be vegitarian ...

Clotho
09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
IT IS NOT EMU! LOL!!

Aside from the comment already made (would cost waay more and be harder to supply in such quantity), I have seen behind the scenes footage of how they are made, and they are definitely turkey.

EVILMICKEY
09-26-2006, 11:11 PM
That's what I figured, but how do they get the Turkey Legs so huge?

Vegitabeta
09-27-2006, 02:33 AM
...they get big turkeys?

stan4d_steph
09-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Hey all, my DGF was just told that the Turkey Legs at DLR are actualy Emu Legs?That would have to be a very small emu.

Stupid_American
09-27-2006, 06:32 AM
That would have to be a very small emu.

Yes. A typical emu leg would resemble a baseball bat!

Disnerd
09-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Smoked Emu is readly available. Look at this meat cut chart from one of the major suppliers down under.

http://www.tjuringa.com.au/cuts.html

This meat is higher in iron, lower in fat and calories than any other meat. Maybe this is why the turkey legs taste like ham?

Disnerd
09-27-2006, 07:31 AM
O.K. So I printed out that meat chart and blew it up a bit. The chart shows that an Emu drumstick weighs 3.2 kg. That converts to just a little over 7 pounds for one drumstick. The Disneyland drumsticks don't weigh 7 pounds. From what I can find on line that would make an Emu drumstick look like something from a Flintstones BBQ!

Katlovett
09-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I live in northern California, and frequently attend the California State Fair where various meat merchants offer samples of exotic meats like buffalo, bear, rabbit, etc. Within the last year I tasted both emu and ostrich (apparently ostrich-farming is becoming increasingly popular around here) as well as a Disneyland turkey leg when we were there September 9 and 10. It sure tasted like turkey to me.

Katprint
(who is an omnivore)

jrad32
09-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Hahaha. It's not emu. You'd need three people to carry an emu leg. As far as the DL turkey legs tasting like ham, what you may be tasting is the smokey flavor that can also be found in smoked ham.

Opus1guy
09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
That's what I figured, but how do they get the Turkey Legs so huge?

I heard they breed special genetically, chemically, and radiologically mutated turkeys that produce 2x the normal sized turkey leg.

But then again, I also heard that actor Ron Perlman (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4013/Events/4013/RonPerlman_Grani_6965366_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Perlman,%20Ron) is actually Bigfoot with a shave and a haircut.

;)

potzbie
09-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Which reminds me of a turkey (leg) joke.
Two turkeys got loose just in the nick of time to miss the mass round up of their colleagues for Thanksgiving.
They hid in the local woods until well-after that certain Thursday.
On Friday, they were hungry, and snuck back to the ranch to peck around for food.
They came across a garbage can.
They were desparate, so they were willing to eat most anything.
In the garbage was the remains of a roasted turkey, bones mostly.
The two turkeys did not know what the meat was, of course, but they were hungry enough to peck at it and get at least some nurishment.

One turkey says to the other, "I don't know what it is, but i know it is meat of some kind. Here -- you go first. Tell me if you like it."

The other turkey pecks at the remaining meat on the bones.
He nibbles. He savors. He swallows. He blinks and grunts.

"Well?", asks the other turkey. "What do you think?"

The other turkey shrugs his shoulders. "Hmmmm... Tastes like chicken."

:)