PDA

View Full Version : Disney is sending out free tickets to selected families in a Marketing campaign

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Here is a look at the mailer...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39036

Amazing, and I remember that people complained when USH did the same thing....

jswtsang
09-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Why did people complain? Too much good fortune? That they had to pay for a second ticket?

jt

ralfrick
09-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Why did people complain? Too much good fortune? That they had to pay for a second ticket?

jt
If it was on a Disney board, I'd guess it was probably something like "Universal is so pathetic that they have to give away tickets in order to get anyone to go".:rolleyes:

Cheers.

cstephens
09-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Disney's giving away a free parkhopper. Universal was giving away free APs. Big difference.

Yes, Universal is so bad they have to beg people to come back all year long. And the free AP still wasn't worth it.

annieb727
09-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Disney's giving away a free parkhopper. Universal was giving away free APs. Big difference.

Yes, Universal is so bad they have to beg people to come back all year long. And the free AP still wasn't worth it.

hahaha...we got APs for $37 (USH)- military deal...so we're gonna go check it out, but I figure one day is probably going to be sufficient LOL

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 07:25 AM

Let's see, Disney is giving away a $83 ticket...

Universal gave away a $59 ticket....

:confused:

olegc
09-26-2006, 07:36 AM

disney is making out good on this - because the odds are more people will JOIN the person with the free park hopper, this possibly increasing attendance by one more trip - per family per local could be a large dollar win over the next year - more tickets, more sales that day of attendance, etc.

Gotta think of the whole target, not just the individual..

and, BTW, that $59 ticket was USH AP - not just one day - right? Or - it could just show you that $83.00 is easy to give awat when your profit margin on that price is very large...

cstephens
09-26-2006, 07:40 AM

What's so confusing? Universal isn't worth $83 dollars. Heck, Universal wasn't worth $59.

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
disney is making out good on this - because the odds are more people will JOIN the person with the free park hopper, this possibly increasing attendance by one more trip - per family per local could be a large dollar win over the next year - more tickets, more sales that day of attendance, etc.

Gotta think of the whole target, not just the individual..

And that was the EXACT same thinking that Universal had...

Give away ONE ticket, get the rest of the family to show up paying admission tickets, and then Food, Drink and Merchandise in the park.

But then again, Disney likes to take Universal Marketing plans, and use them...

Remember back in 2001, when Disney "borrowed" the free Child Ticket campaign from Universal to try and get folks to visit DCA......

Opus1guy
09-26-2006, 08:36 AM
But then again, Disney likes to take Universal Marketing plans, and use them...

Remember back in 2001, when Disney "borrowed" the free Child Ticket campaign from Universal to try and get folks to visit DCA......

Perhaps a better term might be "reminded." I seem to recall Disneyland using the occasional off-season "Free Child" promotion going all the way back to the 1960's. They did buy one, get one frees too.

:)

Free children with paid adults, and buy one/get one free promotions were around even before Disneyland. My local movie theater did those sorta things back when Disneyland was still just a twinkle in Walt's eye.

So I'm not so sure Disneyland was taking or stealing Universal's marketing plans or ideas in any sense of them ripping off some great new idea Universal created. More likely just your standard competitive reaction to do likewise. Something that's extremely common in the airline industry, BTW.

:)

DisneyDustin22
09-26-2006, 09:18 AM
It's a free ticket. Does it really matter? :|

olegc
09-26-2006, 09:33 AM
It's a free ticket. Does it really matter? :|

i guess it does when you look a results elsewhere - or DCA - on any real benefit being derived from free (ask Magic Mountain how much it has improved their parks).

However, I still believe that since it is Disneyland (and yes DCA with the hopper) it will not suffer the same fate.

Except, of course, if they start to provide the "buy one, bring a can, get one fre e" promotion. Then you will know the end is near..

Wallad1075
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Except, of course, if they start to provide the "buy one, bring a can, get one free" promotion. Then you will know the end is near..

I don't think it means the end is near whatsoever. If you consider the fact that Universal is en route to having one of their best years in park history, I find it hard to believe that signals any end is near.

The reason why Magic Mountain started to stumble was they began to draw a different crowd to their park. Word spread, families decided to go elsewhere. I chalk that one up to simple word of mouth and negative experiences at their park. That's my thoughts on their troubles. Obviously, there is more to it. But I'm sure that accounts for a good portion. I mean would you really want to take your family on a vacation to a park where you hear after 3pm turns into a "not so family friendly" environment? I wouldn't dare take mine.

BTW I find $63 is steep for ANY theme park, including Disney, so I would take a free ticket to enjoy a trip there anyday.

Tinkermommy
09-26-2006, 10:01 AM
I received a similar offer from Universal last summer, and was delighted! This one offered one free annual pass, and up to six buy a day, get a year passes for my family.

We haven't been to Universal in more than two years, and would love to go back. This seemed like a very good deal to me. (We used to have APs for Universal in addition to Disneyland.) Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it down there before the offer expired.

It may be little more than a way to get me to bring my family to spend money, but it was welcome -- and almost got me to do it. If they could just find a way to clear my schedule so I can actually GO, it would have been successful for them!

PrincessMomma
09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Hmmm... could you upgrade a free ticket to an annual pass, or will the fact that the back of the ticket will have that you paid $0 encoded on it mean that you can't? Not that I got a ticket ~ just my curiosity getting the better of me. What do you think, Darkbeer?

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Hmmm... could you upgrade a free ticket to an annual pass, or will the fact that the back of the ticket will have that you paid $0 encoded on it mean that you can't? Not that I got a ticket ~ just my curiosity getting the better of me. What do you think, Darkbeer?

Based on the fact that other Disneyland Comp tickets have a value of ZERO towards an AP, I would presume that this is true for this campaign.

So enjoy the $83 ticket.....

olegc
09-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't think it means the end is near whatsoever. If you consider the fact that Universal is en route to having one of their best years in park history, I find it hard to believe that signals any end is near.

The reason why Magic Mountain started to stumble was they began to draw a different crowd to their park. Word spread, families decided to go elsewhere. I chalk that one up to simple word of mouth and negative experiences at their park. That's my thoughts on their troubles. Obviously, there is more to it. But I'm sure that accounts for a good portion. I mean would you really want to take your family on a vacation to a park where you hear after 3pm turns into a "not so family friendly" environment? I wouldn't dare take mine.

BTW I find $63 is steep for ANY theme park, including Disney, so I would take a free ticket to enjoy a trip there anyday.

um - I was trying to be funny with that whole end is near thing

disneyjunkie
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
The marketing idea is brilliant yet so duhh!!! I thought maybe they would do something similar at the gates during the dream promotion such as give a free ticket for another day of free play. It makes so much marketing dollars sense: You get one happy camper with free admission to come again, happy camper with 2.5 family members that will have to accompany them paying of course, more money happy camper and guest will spend on food and souvineers its a win win situation for Disney, and for one happy camper!

h_lehmann
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
And that was the EXACT same thinking that Universal had...

Give away ONE ticket, get the rest of the family to show up paying admission tickets, and then Food, Drink and Merchandise in the park.....

I received mine today. I have no idea how many of these they mailed, so I don't know how lucky we were to have received one.
Funny thing is... we're a family of four, and everyone except my wife already has an annual pass (she's as old as the park, lived in southern California all her life, and has been there more than enough to suite her.) She has, however, wanted to see the 50th fireworks one more time before it ends, and this will give her a free pass to see them (the pass is good from Oct 1 through Nov 15th). Disney won't get any extra money from this family, except for whatever she spends there on food, etc.
By your theory, Disney should have sent these to family that are *not* already AP holders.

paswato
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I received my free Admission Certificate this week also. I have never been an AP, but I was a CM from 6/21/04-4/22/06. I was very surprised to have gotten it and I will definitely use it.

awinner
09-28-2006, 09:47 PM
my mom got a certificate in the mail today...she was quite excited.

jswtsang
09-29-2006, 06:36 AM
hee hee, I'm all jealous of the people who are winning, despite the fact that my AP is good through early december. Congrats to all who get a free pass :-D

jt