PDA

View Full Version : Disney collectables, can anyone help?

Disney CM David
05-13-2002, 05:21 PM
I've managed to aquire a fairly old book sold at Disneyland in 1970 called "Disneyland's Mystifying Magic Book": Magic from the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland. It is a booklet that is 60 pages long and it has a picture of the Haunted Mansion with a wizard talking to a skeleton sitting on a gravestone with a full moon in the background and bats flying over the mansion on the cover. It also has the cost for the booklet on the cover: $1.00(that alone should make it a collectable. something for only a buck at Disneyland!!!) Inside are techniques for performing magic tricks. They are catagorized and listed in the table of contents:

Card Magic:
Rescue of the Queens
Your Name Please
Prediction of Suit and Value
A Found Head

Money Magic:
A Coin Vanish
A Coffin Escape
Nothing Up Your Sleeve
The Crying Griffin

Paper Magic:
Walk Through a Business Card
You Can't Lose
The Elastic Ghoul
The Strength of Hercules

Mental Magic:
Total Prediction
The Mummy's Age
Inhuman Computer
Black Magic
Telephonic Sight

Handkerchief Magic:
Knot From Nowhere
Spirit Under Wraps
The Vanishing Vampire
The Miracle Rope Splice
Never Ending Serpant

Ventriloquist Lesson:
How To Throw Your Voice

Anyway, if anyone has any idea if this is worth anything, could you please let me know. I don't want to put it up on ebay because if its not that much I would like to keep it. Thanks a lot!

MouseWife
05-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Well, I am not the E-Bay pro but I check things by putting what they are in the search column. Then I check what they are selling for. I also click on the completed items and see what it has sold for.

Other than that, I would check for when a Disney Collectables show might be coming.

Or, wait. There are so many others out there who actually know what things are worth. :)

MammaSilva
05-13-2002, 08:33 PM
you might check in at the Gallery at the park I've found that they can be very helpful in pointing you in the right direction for finding out the value of an old Disney 'artifact' like that book, I wouldn't sell it on ebay that's for sure

stinkerbell
05-14-2002, 05:41 PM
I have started to collect vintage paper Disneyland memorabilia (wall maps, pictorial souvenirs, guides, posters, etc.) and anything related to the Haunted Mansion goes for quite a bit. I don't know about that particular book, but the HM things are very popular with collectors. The thing with ebay is, you can get $45 for it one day and $12 for the same thing the next. I'd keep it if I were you.

Nigel2
05-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Anyone else have stuff that is in that case in the hotel? I have this one book with mickey and so forth in a haunted house, I know it's the same one now I just have to get it out of storage and see if it has any value.

MouseWife
05-15-2002, 05:45 AM
I think I might have that book too, Nigel2, just probably a newer printing of it. Cute story.

I've never sold anything on E-Bay, I just use it as a guide line, a starting place to see what I have is going for. I am a pack rat and I love all of my stuff!!! But, I can't find everything on there, or, what they are going for I just know what I have is worth more. It is!! To me.

Sometimes selling something isn't worth it, money goes so quickly and then your possession is gone. :(

adriennek
05-15-2002, 07:29 AM
You might consider joining the NFFC (http://www.nffc.org) or at least attending one of the public sales days for their convention. This is a club primarily composed of Disney collectors.

They also have a page of links that might lead you to find something. Did you do a google search on the book title? Lately I've found that Google finds me almost anything I want to know! LOL

Adrienne K

Alex S.
05-15-2002, 08:06 AM
I've found two listing online. Both were in the neighborhood of $125. That does't necessarily reflect what the book is worth, but there are two people trying to sell it for that.

Nigel2
05-15-2002, 10:08 PM
It seems people seem to have no concept of demand when they try to sell stuff on ebay since they ask obscene prices and then won't go any lower. But anyway there are "blue book" guides to various collectables so they may have one on disneyana and even books like that.

Disney CM David
05-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Thank you for your help. From other people I've talked to, $50 seems a more reasonable price, and thats only if I try to sell it to a Disneyana freak(apologies to any Disneyana freaks out there, I meant it in the nicest possible way). So I'll just keep it for now and maybe in 20 years or so it will be worth more. Or maybe I'll pass it on to my kid and he'll pass it on to his kid and someday my great-great-great-great grandson will become filthy rich when he finally sells it at the Disneyana 2215 convention held on Saturn and he'll retire at the age of 21. Or more likely I'll forget about it and it'll get lost one day.