PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end (of the 50th)

Pages : [1] 2 3

dznyphreak
09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
As the Disney reaper slowly approaches, I've decided to say some final words about the 50th celebration:

First off, I loved 7/17/05. Best day ever.
Second, I will be sad to see the castle go back to normal.
Third, I hope this YOMD thing goes well and does not disappoint.
Fourth, that I win an amazing prize (yeah right).
Fifth, anyone going to the funeral on Saturday??? I'll be there!

PirateSmile
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Aw, I don't wanna see the castle change back. :(

my3girls
09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
We had so much fun finding the hidden (and not so hidden) 50th Mickeys. I'll miss them. I also really enjoyed seeing our pictures among the collages. I'm glad I took pictures of them.

pisces
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
It does seem like the total end of an Era, doesn't it?

For the past 6 years....from 2001's resort expansion, to the Tower of Terror opening, to the pre-50th preparations, which began at least two years ahead of the actual celebration...there's been a kind of a momentum in the Resort, as one thing built into the next big thing.

Since January 2001, .....there's always been something going on in the Resort. ---A kind of energy and anticipation.

Now there's nothing.

It's definitely a let-down.

And I don't think Halloween is exciting enough to take up the slack....especially if it's a "not so scary" Halloween, and for one-month only.

Not so scary = not so exciting, in my book.

Poor planning. Someone should have thought of this way before. What would be the next big thing to carry the Park, when the 50th ended......?

I don't know if the Submarine is big enough.

It doesn't feel "towering" enough, ala Tower of Terror. Plus the Subway is just a redo, it's not a wholly new attraction debuting like TOT.

The next big thing----

For the Resort, what will it be?

Halloween, and the submarine seem to fall flat, when compared to a major Resort expansion 2, 3 years in the making, TOT, and a Grand 50th, which was also 1, or 2 years in the making.

Hard to top all that.

Tinkermommy
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Couldn't help noticing the end of the 50th indications yesterday -- so very little 50th merchandise left on display (we did manage to buy the last of those aqua soup cups at World of Disney last night); many 50th icons gone from rides (did find the ToonTown two still in place); Happiest Faces gone. We even noticed at dinner at the Plaza Inn that there were only three 50th sugar packets with the castles on our table -- the rest, and all the ones in the bowl on the "straws-and-honey" counter were plain blue and white with "Sugar" written on both sides. No castles, no 50. I will REALLY miss the 50th castle, and yesterday, my daughter voiced the wish that we could keep the Tinker Bell castle crown.

My daughter and I were at 5/5/05 and 7/17/05 with another family, and just today, the mom and I were reminiscing about 7/17/05. The whole day was incredible, from the surprise golden ears, vintage map replica and cupcakes to the unusual atmosphere at the park.

For example, our kids were in second and third grades, and when they couldn't see the broadcast of the morning festivities on the jumbotron, some radio guys invited us to sneak them into their area so they could watch with them. And the "Welcome home" greetings from the cast members -- two words that made us all so emotional!

That afternoon, when they played Walt's speech, we somehow found ourselves with a perfect view in the hub. Our kids leaned on the railings and we stood behind them, and spread out in front of us was an amazing sea of golden ears. I still remember how quiet the park was for those moments -- even though it was filled with more people than I've ever seen there. All I could think about was how lucky we were and how our kids would never forget that moment.

Watching the fireworks that night was just the best. Although we were packed in like sardines, it was a crowd that appreciated and was awed by the show. The excitement and enthusiasm was overwhelming.

While the 50th seemed more consistently crowded than I remember prior years being, I am grateful that we got to be there for so much of it. My daughter and I are already making plans to be back for the 75th...hope they can top that fireworks show!

aricbell
09-25-2006, 06:40 PM
are the "Parade of Dreams" and "Remember....Dreams come true" shows also ending saturday?

julbright
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
We had so much fun finding the hidden (and not so hidden) 50th Mickeys. I'll miss them. I also really enjoyed seeing our pictures among the collages. I'm glad I took pictures of them.

AW! are they taking the collages down? I thought those were staying - I didn't take photos of all the ones we are in .... :(

my3girls
09-25-2006, 06:49 PM
They've already taken some of them down. Darkbeer has links to the photos of it in the "post your Disneyland photos here" thread. :crying: I knew the time would come but it's still sad. I really enjoyed seeing our smiling faces as a part of Disneyland. Though in a couple of the collages I couldn't find our pictures at all.

MaraMouse
09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm just glad that Wishes is here to stay! :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Aww, I am so sad just reading your posts. I hadn't really thought about how much is going to be changing from when I was at the park in early March, when I have a day trip in mid October. Sad to hear they have changed such simple things like the sugar packets, already. It really is the end of an era.

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 12:32 AM
are the "Parade of Dreams" and "Remember....Dreams come true" shows also ending saturday?

First off, ALL the collages/mosiacs have been taken down.

The last Remember Fireworks will be on November 4th for 2006.

The last Parade of Dreams will be on November 12th.

MaraMouse
09-26-2006, 02:39 AM
Okay now I'm a little bummed because I was confusing the Remember fireworks with Wishes.. it's Remember.. that has the fireworks for each classic ride, right? Whyy couldn't they keep this and just have Julie Andrews redo her narration :crying:

Vegitabeta
09-26-2006, 03:30 AM
I was only there once for the 50th (obviously it's a long trip for me!) but I will miss the 50th, it was a great celebration! I'm still sad about it though:(

RStar
09-26-2006, 05:50 AM
Plus the Subway is just a redo.They're installing a subway? That will help when the parade is blocking the street!

;) :D

I agree that it will both be sad to see the 50th go, but at the same time I'm glad it will be over. It's been way too long. I'll be sad to see the castle go back to it's old "classic" self. It was real pretty.

Poor planning. Someone should have thought of this way before. What would be the next big thing to carry the Park, when the 50th ended......?While you may be right on the poor planning part, the Year of a Million Dreams is what they intend to be the next big thing to carry the park. With the holidays in between taking up the slack. Yes, I agree that the 50th will be hard to top, and it will be a bit of a let down I'm sure, but they did have a plan (as week and thrown together last minute as it may be).

Wendi
09-26-2006, 07:31 AM
I will really miss Remember... Dreams Come True. I can't imagine them being able to top that.

Vegitabeta
09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
I know, it was amazing...:(

wardkimballfan
09-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Plus the Subway is just a redo.They're installing a subway? That will help when the parade is blocking the street!No, no, they're installing a Subway (http://www.subway.com), you know, the sandwich chain! Because in the future, every restaurant will be a Subway. Just don't get any Meatball Marinara sauce on your mouse ears.

All good things must come to an end. Don't worry, folks, Disneyland's got some more goodies and surprises around the corner. Remember - soon enough we'll have a whole new fleet of monorails!

jdromeo21
09-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Just remember what Walt said, "As long as there is imagination, Disneyland will never be complete."

These imagineers get paid BUKO-BUCKS to come up with new and ingenious ideas. I too am sad that the 50th is going away because it has been the bomb and better then anything in the past. But we can't do anything about that, but we can look at the past history...Disneyland has consistently gotten better over the years, decades, etc. While the YOAMD may be not "up to par" as the 50th, hopefully near the middle or end of it, we'll see how good it can be.

Just my 2 cents.

pisces
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM
They could have kept it going, not in an obvious way, but tried to keep some of the energy and momentum going.

Each new celebration should bring something new and innovative that remains...

...but they are determined to remove every trace of festivity, as if the 50th never happened.

Sad.

Vegitabeta
09-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I think they should have left the happiest faces up for a while longer.

my3girls
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm looking forward to the subs. I really missed them. I can't wait to take my daughters on it. My oldest was two when we went on it right before it was shut down. She doesn't remember a bit of it. I remember her perched on the edge of her seat and avidly staring out the porthole at everything. She was so mesmerized by it. So we're looking forward to our next trip.

I'm also excited about the new Monorail. It's a long time in coming and I can't wait to see it all bright and sparkly the way it should be.

I'm going to miss all the really neat 50th stuff but I'm excited over what's to come. But our trips are about 1.5 years apart so perhaps my input should be taken with a huge grain of salt. ;)

dznyphreak
09-26-2006, 03:40 PM
So no one is going on Saturday to say goodbye?

I understand if you live far away, but those of you who live nearby should think about coming to pay your respects. :crying:

nvmom
09-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I can't imagine fireworks getting any better than Remember...
And I'm very sad to see the crowns on the castle go. I don't think they're so "50th" that they couldn't stay. I love them.

nvmom

Monte Cristo
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I won't miss it at all. I want the crowds to die down and the normal Christmas decorations back up. I grant that since I'm a newbie, alot of the nostalgia is lost on me.

adriennek
09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
It's been 18 months. It was never supposed to be forever. If they did it all the time, it would not have been "special" while it was there.

Plus, I already laid flowers for the passing of the Haunted Mansion and the POTC. I'm not sure I'm up for another DLR "funeral" this year. ;)

Adrienne