PDA

View Full Version : Marshmallow and Yam

Pages : [1] 2

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
the turkeys (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=50469) who were granted a pardon by President Bush to live out their natural lives at Disneyland. I did not see them at the park yesterday (Sept 24, 2006)

Someone posted that Marshmallow and Yam were dead(!) after only spending a few months at the happiest place on earth to live out their natural lives. I did a search on the Internet and found a post indicating that "Marshmallow and Yam died because they were overfed. Apparently most turkeys reach a maximum of about 20 lbs. before they are slaughtered. In order to get to that weight, they are overfed. We were told Marshmallow and Yam reached around 80 lbs. each before passing! For some reason, their diet was not changed."

Is this true? What happend to the bodies?

Alex S.
09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
It is true that they are dead (the passing of Yam was mentioned in the Park Update a couple weeks ago). I don't know what was done with their bodies.

Modern bred domestic turkeys simply aren't intended to live very long, unlike wild turkeys which have a lifespan of about 10 years. Even if they aren't "overfed" farmed turkeys have been bred to be way to big for their bodies to support. Generally this is "fine" (and I use the word advisedly) since they'll all be slaughtered after eight or ten months but by pardoning the turkeys the president really isn't setting them off for a long quality life. It will be a life of barely being able to move under their own bulk.

kikid
09-25-2006, 03:04 PM
It is true that they are dead (the passing of Yam was mentioned in the Park Update a couple weeks ago). I don't know what was done with their bodies.

Modern bred domestic turkeys simply aren't intended to live very long, unlike wild turkeys which have a lifespan of about 10 years. Even if they aren't "overfed" farmed turkeys have been bred to be way to big for their bodies to support. Generally this is "fine" (and I use the word advisedly) since they'll all be slaughtered after eight or ten months but by pardoning the turkeys the president really isn't setting them off for a long quality life. It will be a life of barely being able to move under their own bulk.

ah, c'mon guys, can we please close this thread. It's to depressing:crying:
Thank you

adriennek
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Sorry, depressing isn't against community policies.

Adrienne

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
When I first saw the Turkey's at DL, I thought it exciting that they were there and had just been at the White House and I thought it odd that they were there from the White House. They really didn't fit with Disney's controlled development of the park and yet seemed a tangible example of the Disney spirit reaching across the county all the way to the White House. To me, the turkeys were living out the dream of most of us - to live our lives at Disneyland. That probably is why the story made national news a year ago. Every time I passed by the turkeys I thought how lucky they were. Then, after not seeing them AND finding out about their early death, it was surprise to say the least - so un-Disney like.

I know that this is a tough topic, but I thought that this was a nice place to deal with this as there might be others who felt the same about the Turkey's as I do.

kikid
09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry, depressing isn't against community policies.

Adrienne

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus - Cite This Source
Main Entry: depressing
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: discouraging
Synonyms: black, bleak, daunting, dejecting, depressive, discouraging, disheartening, dismal, dispiriting, distressing, dreary, funereal, gloomy, heartbreaking, hopeless, joyless, melancholic, melancholy, mournful, oppressive, sad, saddening, somber, upsetting

any of the above work?;)

adriennek
09-25-2006, 03:35 PM
They really didn't fit with Disney's controlled development of the park and yet seemed a tangible example of the Disney spirit reaching across the county all the way to the White House. To me, the turkeys were living out the dream of most of us - to live our lives at Disneyland. That probably is why the story made national news a year ago.

I thought of it as a marketing gimmick - A reason for APs to stop by during the busy holiday period. Another reason for locals to bring out of town guests. A little perk for people planning their vacation. And incentive for people to start planning a 2006 vacation to Disneyland! Many people start planning vacations in January, so getting the publicity around the holidays plants Disney in the minds of people who aren't Disneyphiles AND reinforces it for people who are Disneyphiles and/or might be thinking: gee, we always go, maybe we should try something new this year?

And it was a lot of publicity all over the media - IN the media, in the news shows, not just paid commercials.

Then, after not seeing them AND finding out about their early death, it was surprise to say the least - so un-Disney like.

What part was un-Disney-like? That they died or that Disney displayed animals with a short life-span?

Adrienne

adriennek
09-25-2006, 03:37 PM
any of the above work?;)

Sorry! But good try.

Adrienne

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
What part was un-Disney-like? That they died or that Disney displayed animals with a short life-span? Adrienne

That Disney would display Turkeys and not provide them a healthy lifestyle/diet that would permit the Turkeys to live longer than a few months as part of their "natural" life.

dznyphreak
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
This may sound harsh, but...

They were turkeys, weren't they??? They're lucky they made it through last Thanksgiving. Before these ones were at DL, the only place I'd seen a turkey was on a plate.

Relax...they had a good life and could have suffered a much worse death. At least they didn't get eaten (that we know of).

dohgusgus
09-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Thank you

It's a turkey, what's so depressing? What do you have at Thanksgiving?

adriennek
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
That Disney would display Turkeys and not provide them a healthy lifestyle/diet that would permit the Turkeys to live longer than a few months as part of their "natural" life.

How do you know they didn't? What was the source of the information? You said 'post on the internet' but that's a bit vague.

Adrienne

annieb727
09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Relax...they had a good life and could have suffered a much worse death. At least they didn't get eaten (that we know of).

well...they DO serve turkey sandwiches at dl ;)

kikid
09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry! But good try.

Adrienne

Thank you, and now I'm over "talkin-turkey"!:)

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 05:03 PM
President Bush stated (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/11/20051122-1.html) that he was proud to announce that "Marshmallow and Yam will serve as honorary grand marshals at Disneyland's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And they'll go on to spend the rest of their natural lives at Disneyland."

Wild turkeys have a lifespan of about 10 years. From what I understand, presidential pardoned turkeys live a lot longer at Frying Pan Farm Park (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/fpp/)than a few months.

The Turkeys were at Disneyland in November 2005 and months later they both(!) were dead. One, perhaps, but both? An Internet poster asserted/implied that the Turkey's unhealthy diet was not changed after the turkeys arrived at Disneyland [link (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38296)] and that contributed to the death of the Turkeys. I didn't link to the quote (easily found via google by inserting the quote or a portion of the quote in the google search engine) because I didn't want to promote micechat.com on mousepad.

It does not seem very likely that Disney would get themselves into a situation where they would displayed animals that had a life-span of months when the U.S. President states that the animals would spend the rest of their natural lives at Disneyland. Another Internet poster, claribella (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38296), stated, "the diet that the CM's gave them but I KNOW every time I passed them a guest was tossing them food, a fry or a piece of burger or chicken strip. I'm not joking. I would see that. So maybe the CM's couldn't monitor what the guests fed them?"

"the passing of Yam was mentioned in the Park Update a couple weeks ago" If you have a link Alex, please post.

The Little Mermaid
09-25-2006, 05:31 PM
"the passing of Yam was mentioned in the Park Update a couple weeks ago" If you have a link Alex, please post.
Disneyland Park Update (September 11-17, 2006) (http://mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl060911xx). Scroll down to "This and that..."

TP2000
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM

BWAHAHA! For gosh sakes they were pardoned by the President of the United States! They shouldn't have made it past mid November, 2005 in the first place!

We always have a modest sized family gathering for Thanksgiving since we're spread up and down the West Coast and I usually have a 15 pound bird, but I know you can get 'em as big as 25 pounds down at Vons. If Marshmallow and Yam got to live an extra 8 months and grew to be 80 pounds, then they lived a good life. Plus, they got a free trip to Disneyland out of the deal as well!

This is the funniest thread I've seen in awhile. Thanks for the laughs gang!

adriennek
09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
An Internet poster asserted/implied that the Turkey's unhealthy diet was not changed after the turkeys arrived at Disneyland link (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38296)

Ok, but who's "we" and who told "we" this information?

Adrienne

stan4d_steph
09-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Domestic turkeys are not bred to live 10 years. They're bred to live as long as they need to so that they're big enough to eat. That's it.

Between this thread and the one about staying at Stovall's Inn and eating at Tiffy's, I think you're just yanking our chain.

Here's a link to the DLR Update page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=dl). You can also get to the MousePlanet front page by clicking the logo in the upper left corner.

barely
09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
A little off-topic, but the post that said to eat at Tiffy's really cracked me up!

cstephens
09-26-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm bummed that I never got a chance to munch on a turkey leg in front of them.

jMom
09-26-2006, 07:38 AM
If one is interested in the plight of turkeys (or chickens, salmon, or beef) that are bred and caged for mass consumption, it might be a better idea to support the farmers who treat their animals well before taking them to market and to find ways to support changes in legislation that would put an end to these practices ... than to post on boards about turkeys who were bred about a short life span and blame the unfairness on the place that took them in.

Disnerd
09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Meleagris_gallopavo.html

Says that the average lifespan for a wild turkey is 1.3 to 1.6 years.

GoVeg.com says commercial turkeys have a lifespan of 5 months.

I think that for turkeys bred for eatin they did pretty good.

Opus1guy
09-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Eating Marshmallow and Yam makes me sleepy.

:)

Vegitabeta
09-26-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm bummed that I never got a chance to munch on a turkey leg in front of them.
:eek: I'm ashamed! :eek: