PDA

View Full Version : Step right up-- and confess your quirks!

Pages : [1] 2

The Real Cinderella
09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
All right, folks. The time has come for you to fess up to your strange Disneyland traditions. This, however, is serious business. This goes beyond buying a new pin everytime you go, or making sure to eat a churro. We want to hear from all you crazies out there (I'm a self-identified crazy, I'll admit it) who have to yell a certain phrase at the top of Splash Mountain, or absolutely have to ride the left track of the Matterhorn at sunset while singing the theme from the Mickey Mouse Club ... not that I do that or anything ...

Do tell!

Tinkermommy
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
We rub Mara's head on the big stone tablet in the queue of Indiana Jones (that backs up against the guy in the well). We say, "I wish to see the future," and don't touch anything with that hand until we get on the ride. It worked two out of three times yesterday...:eek:

ShirleyFilms
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM
While riding Grizzly River Rapids, we count the number of times our tube hits the sides before we reach the track that takes us UP.

Don't know why... but always do it. (the 5 year old started this tradition). Maybe to pass the time before the ride really starts to rock!

:)

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 02:20 PM
In the DCA Animation Building Courtyard (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/animation/projections1.jpg)during the showing of the Lion King's presentation scene, my 3-year old boy has me raise him above my head and slowly spin around to "present" him, similar to Rafiki (http://www.johnswdwpage.com/images/topiary/rafiki%20topiary%20copy.jpg)presenting Simba and Nala's newborn cub Kopa (http://www.freewebs.com/little_kopa/chaka.jpg) from atop Pride Rock (http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Elwyn/PrideRock.jpg).

Mom2
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
It was our tradition to watch Fantasmic by what is now apparently the extended reserved seating area...right at the corner by the stairs on the inside of the wrought iron fence. We were devastated when the said we could no longer sit there. It was our special spot...no one to deal with on one side of us and limited traffic and crowd behind and around us. It was perfect. Still sad over this, cant find a better place. I am personally stressed with crowds, so this was a nice place then they took it from us!

The Real Cinderella
09-25-2006, 03:35 PM
We always release a miniature rubber duckie back into the wild ... cute, and harmless.

Great posts everyone! This is fun!

dznyphreak
09-25-2006, 03:42 PM
I have to ring the bell at the fire station three times before I leave for the day.

Don't ask me why...I don't even know. I've gotten some strange looks, too.

my3girls
09-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Every trip I must put some coins in the wishing well over by the castle. I'm sure you can guess my wish but I'm not telling so I don't "jinx" it. :p

disneyroxxx
09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
i always have to stare at the evil queen in the window. for about five minutes. its pretty addicting.

and i always duck in the dart room on indy. i always get scared, and think that they are real. but im laughing at the same time, so im fine.

june1st1997
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
My husband and I kiss eachother (in an appropriate manner) at all the places he wanted to kiss me but didn't, on our first date.

At the top of the hub of main street, by the train station... Long Story

Behind big thunder mountain across from the mining car... Ya know teh water Is only 3 feet deep here ( I have no idea if that is true, but I was so flustered)

In the haunted mansion, as you go backwards into the grave yarsd...under the crow... We got stuck there... The most exciting 10 minutes of my life.

9 years and probably 50 trips since... everytime.

Ah.

pisces
09-25-2006, 04:34 PM
I like to be the last one out of Main Street, when they close the Park at midnight.....which means Main Street is open till 1:00 am.

Especially, when they've got the Christmas Tree up and you can stare up at the twinkling lights.

Very deep.

But I usually get too tired from the long days, if I've been up since early entry, and didn't have a good nap midday....

.....So it never works out that way, in reality.

I'm usually too tired to stick it out till 1:00 am, but I try to aim for that.

Barbossa
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Every time we go on Small World I look for something I've never noticed before. I've been on that ride maybe 100 times and I still notice something new every time I ride it.

I look for a certain type of artificial candle at the Haunted Mansion. I worked for the company who made them and programmed their next generation candle (it simulates random air movement). Maybe one day the new stuff will be at DLR. :geek:

rentayenta
09-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Fun thread. Now you will all know what a total nerd I am. :geek:

During the door knocking scene in the HM, I have to close my eyes.

I have to have popcorn with a Coke. Can't have it with any other drink and it has to be while waiting in line for the HM.

I have to ride IASW in the front row. I cannot believe I am admitting this stuff.

I make the goat noise when passing the goat on BTMRR. My middle DD7 thinks this is the funniest thing ever.

Mickeygirlforever
09-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I've been to Disneyland with my grandma every single time I've gone (she's been going since 1956) and everytime we ride pirates, we sing and clap in the dark caves while singing along. Everyone looks at us really strange that we know all the words :) We also do this on Small World. Again, we get strange looks. I couldn't imagine going without my grandma and without doing this. Tradition!!
I also take my 6 year old brothers hand, and we skip down Main Street the first time we get there. Everyone rolls their eyes and thinks how crazy we are!

rentayenta
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
That reminds me, I have to scream during the first drop in POTC. :geek:

jMom
09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Divide the sides of iasw between your group and count the moving figures and see who comes out with the most ... if there are enough crazies onboard, assign someone the roof too.

On a rare solo trip I went for my daughter's sake and ended up counting everything all. by. myself ... heh!

Opus1guy
09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
You're going to think I'm really crazy, but...

Way back when they had big name bands at Carnation Plaza Gardens...you'd often see Walt or Walt and Lillian standing on the little footbridge there by the castle in the moonlight, just taking it all in and enjoying the dancers and music. People used to spot him and shout, "Hi ya Walt!" and he'd always wave and/or smile back.

One night I thought I'd do the same. And he smiled and put his index finger up to his temple and gave a little salute-wave back to me.

So now...every time I visit Disneyland, I make it a point to walk into Plaza Gardens and give the same little salute-wave in the direction of the footbridge and softly say out loud, "Hi ya Walt."

I know it sounds incredibly stupid and geeky...but I just like to do it. Almost as if I'm trying to tell him, "I remember ya...and sorta miss ya, Uncle Walt."

My honey often has to explain to our guests why I have to swing by that area before we leave the Park. She just rolls her eyes and whispers, "He has to say 'Hi' to Walt." But really...she understands.

And now you have my "confession."

:)

ministrychick77
09-25-2006, 10:21 PM
let's see...

- have to stay from open to close
- must sing and clap along with both POTC and IaSW
- must ride both above rides at least 4 times a day
- have to walk over to space mountain and yell out "wooooooo"(ric flair style)
- have to point out everything that reminds me of wrestling
- must have at least one micky pancake, churro, dole whip, chocolate banana
- have to see as many feral cats as possible

about all i can think of now...

MaraMouse
09-26-2006, 02:21 AM
I don't know if this counts, but whenever I go, we take a fresh map and buy a fat Disneyland pen, and do every single attraction there is, adding a star next to the attraction name checking it off, even when we're finished doing everything, we continue to put a star next to the attraction to keep track of how many times we did it. :p

jdee
09-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Opus1guy,

What a great tradition! I got all teary eyed reading it.:crying:

Mom2
09-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Well its a quirk of my husbands. One time I was really tired in line at Splash Mountain and kind of got staring at the rock wall in line-spacing out...so he started this thing-pointing out, little rock, big rock, little rock, big rock...like what are you staring at? Its mean isnt it?!?! So now every time we are in line he says that to me now.
Also, in line at Big Thunder Mountain, one time we heard someone say, "DO NOT SIT ON THE ROPES, FOR THEY WILL BREAK AND YOU WILL FALL, THANK YOU." So now in line there my husband always has to recite that. He thinks its funny because it is so obvious that you should not sit on the ropes.
Strange sense of humor he has. I think its boredom in line.

backsthepack
09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Ok, nothing can top the "Hi ya Walt" story. That made me cry.

I have a few silly little things. I have to enter the park on the right side (from the entrance into main street area) and I have to stop each time and read the sign above the arch. Every single time I enter.

I stop in front of the Walt/Mickey statue and whisper "thank you" to them. I know, so dorky, but it is our favorite family vacations and we enjoy being there so much that I feel like we need to thank Walt for what he built for us all.

I always have to enter Fantasy Land once through the castle each day.

tod
09-26-2006, 12:32 PM
These aren't mine, but I see 'em...
I have to shriek at the top of my lungs when the lights go out in the Haunted Mansion, right after I chant the narration in the goofiest voice I can think of. I gather my family and we walk side-by-side down the walkways. Until we stop. I bang my stroller into as many people as possible. Ankles are for banging! LOL!! I make it a point to use all those words you can't say in polite society with my giggling friends in the lines, especially if there are small children around, so they can learn them too. I push my way to the front of lines like Space Mountain and Indiana Jones so I can "catch up with my friends." When I get to the front, they aren't there! LOL!! I have to be the last rider on Peter Pan every night.

--t

tod
09-26-2006, 12:39 PM
These are mine:
Start the day by playing the baseball game, the one in the Penny Arcade with the little umpire who calls balls and strikes. Had to stop that in the '70s, when they took the machine out. Romantic dinner with gf/fiancée/TLMt behind Captain Hook's Pirate Ship on warm Summer nights. Had to stop that when they tore out Captain Hook's and put Dumbo there. Sing along with the Pirates after the first drop, so quietly that the other people in the boat aren't sure where it's coming from. Had to stop that after the last rehab. Take the 9:15 cruise on the Mark Twain, where they stop behind Tom Sawyer's Island and see the fireworks. Fantasmic! put the kibosh on that. Watch and listen to the band when they do the weekend-morning concerts in Town Square. This is still possible.

--t

TikiGeek
09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
So now...every time I visit Disneyland, I make it a point to walk into Plaza Gardens and give the same little salute-wave in the direction of the footbridge and softly say out loud, "Hi ya Walt."

I know it sounds incredibly stupid and geeky...but I just like to do it. Almost as if I'm trying to tell him, "I remember ya...and sorta miss ya, Uncle Walt." :)I think that's great!

We don't do this everytime (because we forget) - after the flag retreat we look up at the light in the window above the firehouse and thank Walt. ;)

We used to sit and talk with Rod Miller - can't do that anymore. :(