PDA

View Full Version : King Arthuer is GONE

LIMANDL4EVA
05-13-2002, 04:40 PM
ok well pretty much gone anyways, the only thing holding it up is a pole and half of the canopy is taken off on the other side it looks really weird!

LIMANDL4EVA
05-13-2002, 04:46 PM
sorry guys i spelled it wrong its ARTHUR:D

DisneylandKid
05-14-2002, 05:21 AM
What exactly are they doing to the Carrousel?

tjrj
05-14-2002, 06:22 AM
I heard here on MP a while ago that they were going to make it wheelchair accessible. In fact, we had a bit of a debate about it. Have plans changed?

Bill Catherall
05-14-2002, 06:30 AM
I think it was one of the DIG updates that I read about it. Anyway, in the process of making it wheelchair accessable they discovered that much of the structure was rotting away. So now they have to completely rebuild it and restore it.

AliKzam
05-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Yeah, isn't it something like this is the first refurbishment to it since the park opened, or something? You know, it's funny. Remember on the Disney Channel how they used to have those behind-the-scenes-at-the-Disney-parks-with-Eric shows? On one of them, they showed how repair men would work on all the attractions in the park during the hours it was closed. They showed men watching the matterhorn bobsleds ride by to make sure they were running smoothly, and they showed men working on the carousel. I guess I just assumed that meant they did work on the carousel. They must've just kept the horses polished or something. Ah, the power of television.

malin
05-14-2002, 01:48 PM
Well it makes a change for Disney to be willing to spend money on an attraction.Especially the Carrousel which as far as my memory knows is not backed up by a sponsor I have seen so many attractions close down because Mr Pressler dosn't want to spend money on them.I am really happy that the Mouse is making it wheelchair accessable as well.You see you think you got Disney worked out and than they will do something nice and you just don't know what to think.Lets hope we get some more nice things like these.

Lacrosse Boy
05-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Hopefully they GET more willing to spend money on attractions. It seems like they are only spending it when the ride is almost falling apart.:eek:

Uncle Dick
05-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Just a little update on the condition of the carousel. Today it was almost totally gone. All that was left was the main wooden pole in the center, with a tiny cone of canopy perched on the top. It looked like the edges of the canopy had been either ripped apart or just simply fallen apart, judging by the unevenness of the "cone". There was also about half of the outer supporting pole left standing, but that's it.

The Big Thunder Trail is finally open again. The work on the bridge was very nice. They aged it very nicely so it fits in great, but you can tell that it's sturdy. They also painted over those ghastly black patches left over from the last Big Thunder Trail rehab. Granted, the new paint still clashes with the old worn path surrounding it, but it looks a lot better than black asphalt.

And just a quick hint for those of you visiting Disneyland in the next week or so (before Splash opens). The line for the Davy Crockett Canoes, which can get somewhat nasty during busier times, was nice and short today (as it was on Sunday). Since Critter Country is effectively closed, not many people make it back to that part of the park ensuring that the lines for the canoes stay very short. If you're into that sort of thing, it might be a good idea to check 'em out before the crowds return.

AliKzam
05-17-2002, 01:18 PM
Uncle Dick, what is the Big Thunder Trail? Is it the line for Big Thunder Mtn? The road from Frontierland to Fantasyland? A path on Tom Sawyer Island? Some part of Disneyland I've never ever explored? I'm confused and intrigued.

Uncle Dick
05-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
The road from Frontierland to Fantasyland?
That one.

Darkbeer
05-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Yes, the path that takes you next to where the Festival Arena Special Event area, and where the Big Thunder Barbeque used to be.

MammaSilva
05-17-2002, 03:00 PM
That trail ends up with more "lost" souls than anyplace except NoS! I can't begin to count how many guests I've seen standing with the map and a bewildered look on their faces! but I love the trail.....it is almost always fairly deserted (that is a relative remark ok) it's cool and shady for the most part ... just one of my little 'favorite' spots, is to sit on one of the benches on/near the bridge, watch BTRR and listen to the waterfall and people watch!