PDA

View Full Version : January advice ...

The Real Cinderella
09-24-2006, 10:55 AM
After just attending Disneyland on Labor Day, I may have the opportunity to plan another venture for early January. I'm seeking some advice ...

--Crowds. I'm considering maybe the third or fourth of January, and extending through that weekend. Is that enough time for the Holiday rush to have subsided? Or is that still in the thick of things?

--Attractions. When do Small World and Haunted Mansion overlay come down? (I'm not so much worried about seeing the overlay as the attraction being closed for removal.) And do we have any word on other possible closures?

--Holiday decor, fireworks, etc. How long do these last? Wouldn't want to miss that snow on Main St.

--Park hours. The Disneyland.com calendar doesn't extend through January yet.

--Typical California weather for that time of year. I went for New Years a few years ago, and it was bitterly cold. Is this to be expected?

--Any other information you consider worthwhile.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

The Real Cinderella
09-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh, just thought of another one.

--Vegitarian eating in the parks. This has been somewhat of a challenge in the past, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. I know every location offers veggie burgers, and you can always eat a cheese pizza, but this gets very old, especially over a multi-day trip. Blue Bayou has a small veg. menu (pasta and veg. gumbo) and Bengle Barbeque has vegitable skewers, though these are cooked alongside the meaty ones ... Anyone else have additional info or advice?

IdahoMike
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
We are going in Jan. for the first time. The hours for the first 2 weeks are actually available on the DL website, and it looks like in week 1 it will still be 11 pm closings, and then it will go to the regular 10-9 for DL and 10-6 for DCA after that. I'm hoping the extended hours also means that the Xmas stuff will actually be up through that first weekend, and all the rides will be open and working (wishful thinking I know.)

Malcon10t
09-24-2006, 04:32 PM
--Crowds. I'm considering maybe the third or fourth of January, and extending through that weekend. Is that enough time for the Holiday rush to have subsided? Or is that still in the thick of things? Schools don't go back til the 9th. While Disney has not put out an official schedule, I think they expect the crowds to still be heavier than normal. Also, since teh Rosebowl will be on teh 1st, and they dont have to be back to school til the 9th, I would expect a good number to stick around that week.

--Attractions. When do Small World and Haunted Mansion overlay come down? (I'm not so much worried about seeing the overlay as the attraction being closed for removal.) And do we have any word on other possible closures? They don't have teh refurb list up yet, but I suspect both will still be up til the 9th.

--Holiday decor, fireworks, etc. How long do these last? Wouldn't want to miss that snow on Main St.I think they will still be up.

--Park hours. The Disneyland.com calendar doesn't extend through January yet.Probably 8 or 9am to 11pm

--Typical California weather for that time of year. I went for New Years a few years ago, and it was bitterly cold. Is this to be expected?Yes. Cold and rain. Daytime, sweatshirts, evenings/nights, put a coat over the sweatshirt.

disneyhound
09-24-2006, 04:47 PM
We go every year in January, 2007 will be 7 years in a row!!

We love DL in January! The crowds are typically light. Rain has only been an issue one year, and it was fine with us, crowds were even lighter!

Last year we were there during the first week in January, we went specifically to see the HMH overlay. The crowds were heavier than we would like.

Avoid the MLK 3-day weekend, also a busy time!

Understand that ride refurbs are an issue! Some things are closed, but since we go every year, we just look forward to getting on those rides the following year.

Malcon10t
09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
We go every year in January, 2007 will be 7 years in a row!!We go every year for New Years Eve and usually only stay til the 3rd so we can get the kids back to school. In the last 9 years, we missed one year (son wanted his drivers permit, long story.) It is a great time of year. We have probably had rain 3 or 4 years. Last year, we had enough for 2-3 years. I prefer to plan for rain than to get there and not have teh right gear.

annieb727
09-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh, just thought of another one.

--Vegitarian eating in the parks. This has been somewhat of a challenge in the past, and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. I know every location offers veggie burgers, and you can always eat a cheese pizza, but this gets very old, especially over a multi-day trip. Blue Bayou has a small veg. menu (pasta and veg. gumbo) and Bengle Barbeque has vegitable skewers, though these are cooked alongside the meaty ones ... Anyone else have additional info or advice?

Cafe Orleans has a three cheese Monte Cristo.

Carnation Cafe also has a Three Cheese Vegetable Medley Sandwich.

you can check out a bunch of menus at www.dlresortinfo.com

pisces
09-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Don't expect too much in the way of Christmas decor, and that way whatever you get is a bonus.

I believe the Christmas Tree is sure to be coming down.

There's a thread somewhere around here titled. "Mon, Jan 2, 2006 Disorganized Disney"...

...and that was January 2.....so by the time January 4 rolls around....

If there's rain or any kind of foul weather, they won't hesitate to close down the Park and/or do cancellations, based on what I've observed the past two years of being in the Park after New Years.

If you want to be assured of seeing decorations and Holiday celebrations in full swing......get there before New Years Eve.

After New Years Eve.....I don't think anything is guaranteed.