PDA

View Full Version : Portofino Inn vs. Desert Palms Inn

TrueRomance
09-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Hello,

I am planning a last minute trip to Disney for Oct. 16th to Oct. 20th. We need a suite hotel and found the best rates and availability at the Portofinio and Desert Palms suites. They look about the same distance from the parks as we are planning on walking to and from. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Any pro's or con's I should know about?

Thanks for the help.

Kristi

samkj
09-24-2006, 09:20 AM
There are reviews of both these hotels on Mouseplanet at http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels%20%2F% 20Walking%20distance%20hotels%20south%20of%20Katel la%2C%20near%20the%20Convention%20Center

taingirlsmom
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
We stayed at the Portofino a couple of years ago and it was very run down. Don't know if it's been remodeled since.

DangerMouse
09-25-2006, 06:40 AM
The Portofino is a bit farther of a walk, as well (every step counts after a long day at DLR!) I stayed at the Portofino right after they opened, it was very nice, but I haven't heard great things about it recently.

momuvseven
09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
I have only stayed at the Portofino and it is a much farther walk, I would say about .5 mile further away. It was rough around the edges, but OK. The kids did not like the rooftop pool. There is not any breakfast there. The suite was large, we had the king bed, bunks and sofa bed. There was a fridge and microwave. There are several small shops across the street where we buy subway, donuts and I think Chinese. There is also a 7-11 were you can buy some groceries, coffee and sodas. That works out well when walking to and from the park.

The only reason we stayed there was because I was able to book an $89 a night rate for June last year. For the money it was great, I have never seen it that cheap again.

One place that is cheap, clean and quiet is the Comfort Inn Maingate, however it is almost to Garden Grove and too far for us to walk. We also liked the Best Western Raffles for their two room/two bath suites. BWR is a mile, lots further than the Portifino. Both places offer a continental breakfast of cereal, juice, danishes, milk and coffee.

I always end up checking everything because the prices fluctuate a lot. Check GetAway Today Travel as well because they can often beat the prices I find on line. They will sell you the rooms without tickets. If you only buy a room though they do not send you the coupons and goodies that come with the packages.

DadandFamily
09-25-2006, 11:09 AM
For other ideas, check out my post http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=61164

GrumpyUTboi
09-25-2006, 12:37 PM
How old are your kids? Mine are young so we were foolish enough to think that we could walk. What a HORRIBLE idea! When you see that you are right nect to the park you think that it isn't that bad of a walk until you do it with young ones. Thank goodness for ART. The 1+ mile walk to the front gate was bad, the walk back was he!! for all of us. Just get an ART pass, that will save you.

We stayed at the Portifino and found it to be ok, it wasn't anything special and we realized that the amount of money that we paid for the little bit of extra space was not worth it, we decided to stay across the street at the maingate in one room with 2 queen beds for $20-$30 cheaper.

TrueRomance
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
My kids are 3 & 1. I was just there in May with a friend and her 2 year old and we stayed at the Residence Inn Main gate about a 3/4 mile walk. We walked to and from every time for 4 days. Even heading back for naps midday. I did not think that walk was bad at all. With both kids in the double stroller, they just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It also worked out perfect when they fell asleep in the stroller, I did not have to wake them up and take them out to go on ART. We just walked to the hotel and I strolled them right inside out 1st floor room.

A year ago we stayed at Embassy Suites. We loved the hotel, but way too far to walk. We took ART and I hated it. Had to wait too long for a shuttle and always crowded--this was before the 50th in early May 05. Going back and forth for naps, it is hard going back and forth on a shuttle.

No suites are available across the street for 10/15-10/20--and we have to have a suite. For my sanity, I need that separate room.

nvmom
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
We stayed at the Desert Palms in March 05. We'd had several friends who'd stayed there as well. It wasn't like "wow"- but it was totally fine, and yes we'd stay there again.

We had a suite that was 2 queens and then at the end of the room you stepped down into a sunken small living room type area that had a pull out sofa sleeper, table w/4 chairs and an additional dresser/TV. The room was clean. The bathroom was clean, but it was all one room, counter was not outside so it was not as convenient w/a family and several people getting ready & trying to shower. There was a refridge and micro. Our room was rather dark (which my dh likes) an we did not have a view at all... like it was a brick wall. :)

The lobby is very nice. The staff, was just "so-so" friendly... not great. We had never been to DLR ever... so once we stored our luggage in their store room we asked "So exactly which direction to DL?" And they looked at us like we were total idiots. There's a Quiznos in the lobby and also a small lounge/bar. It's super convenient to have a 7-11 and another small convenience store right beside the hotel. We bought water bottles, etc there every day. There's also a Subway, a pizza place, etc in a strip mall right across the street.

We weren't impressed w/their continental breakfast. To small of room, to many people, and not enough food... but that seems to be typical of what I read for hotels in the DLR area.

The pool & hot tub were clean... not large, there were pool towels. The walk was fine. It was maybe just a little longer than what I'd prefer, but we walked it many times w/3 children. Starting Fri, we figured out that you could also walk less than a block or so to the Lion King parking lot and take the tram. We did that too.

We opted for the Desert Palms mostly because we got a great deal thru Expedia.

Last Mar we opted to stay the Camelot Inn & Suites(formerly the Park Inn.) It is a much closer walk... across the cross walk and a couple properties over. We had two good sized rooms. We missed having a convenience store so close... but overall we were happier there. Have you checked their rates?

nvmom

Malcon10t
09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
My kids are 3 & 1. I was just there in May with a friend and her 2 year old and we stayed at the Residence Inn Main gate about a 3/4 mile walk. We walked to and from every time for 4 days. Even heading back for naps midday. I did not think that walk was bad at all. With both kids in the double stroller, they just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It also worked out perfect when they fell asleep in the stroller, I did not have to wake them up and take them out to go on ART. We just walked to the hotel and I strolled them right inside out 1st floor room. I like the Anaheim Desert Inn (just don't use a debit card to pay) and the Camelot Inn. Both a close and easy. Also, the Alpine Inn is nice and beside the Palm Desert. The Anabella is very nice. We've stayed in the kid suite. The Portofino is nice, but it is more of a walk.

Places to avoid with children (or with ANYONE!): Parkside Inn.