PDA

View Full Version : Where to view fireworks w/toddler?

jackaroosmom
09-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I am going to DL w/ my husband and toddler and want to know if there is a good (decent, good enough for a 2 yr. old) place to view the fireworks without having to go and secure a spot in advance, or be stuck in the middle of a wall of bodies.

I just want my son to be able to see the fireworks, even if only on my husband's shoulders!

He will likely be tired and overstimulated at this point anyway, so waiting in one spot will not be an option. Of course, he may be asleep by the time the fireworks start!

I definitely can't afford to spend 60.00 for reserved seating. Any ideas?

aashee
09-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi there,

I have young kids (not toddlers) but a good place to watch them is in tomorrow land by innoventions. It's far enough that it isn't too loud and it isn't very crowded. I actually heard the 2nd story exit of innoventions is a great place to see it.

Good Luck!

Chad

Malcon10t
09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I am going to DL w/ my husband and toddler and want to know if there is a good (decent, good enough for a 2 yr. old) place to view the fireworks without having to go and secure a spot in advance, or be stuck in the middle of a wall of bodies.

I just want my son to be able to see the fireworks, even if only on my husband's shoulders!

He will likely be tired and overstimulated at this point anyway, so waiting in one spot will not be an option. Of course, he may be asleep by the time the fireworks start!

I definitely can't afford to spend 60.00 for reserved seating. Any ideas?
There is no reserved seating for the fireworks. As for a good place for last minute parties of 3, maybe over by Small World. As for putting him on your husbands shoulders,I wouldn't recommend it. Try piggy back, where the childs head is at the same height as your husbands.

Frogberto
09-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Although I prefer watching fireworks in the "hub" area, I've found from long experience that my 1.5 year old really enjoys them from in front of "it's a Small World". He gets restless and antsy when in front of the castle, probably because of the crowds and because he can't always see everything.

But in front of iasw, with the projections (like a big TV to him), and the closer proximity to the fireworks, he is enthralled, pointing, and saying "wow", and clapping. You don't have to wait for a good seat there, so I'd recommend it for parents with toddlers.

JeffG
09-24-2006, 05:12 AM
I agree with the recommendations for the "Small World" area, particularly since that is generally seated viewing. I would warn, though, that you are pretty close to the launch area there, which means that the fireworks tend to be very loud. If the child hasn't experienced fireworks previously or is particularly skittish about loud noises, this could be a problem.

Another alternative that we have found works pretty well is the Town Square area. You can usually get a pretty central spot right along the curb in front of the flagpole fairly close to time for the show to start. While waiting for the show, the area tends to be pretty uncrowded and it is usually no problem to sit down and wait. The area does fill in once the show is about to start and you do need to stand-up, but it still is far less than the complete wall of people further up on Main Street.

While you can't see the Matterhorn from there, the majority of the show effects still work pretty well from Town Square (far better than from Small World, actually). You also are far enough away from the launch area that the fireworks aren't overwhelming.

-Jeff

DadandFamily
09-24-2006, 06:16 AM
A good spot to watch the fireworks is from here http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=392201 . It is between the two sets of fireworks and you can see the ongoings happening at the castle. And you can be one of the first to get on the peter pan ride after the fireworks end. For a different location. you can also watch the fireworks from the top of the Mickey and friends parking garage to get a different view.

MammaSilva
09-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Two favorites of ours...

1) iasw area...but as has been mentioned, it's very close to launch sites and can be very loud....

2) believe it or not was standing near the retaining wall for autopia facing the matterhorn...you get a glimpse of tinkerbell, but not much of one and you can't see all the effects but if you need it to be a little further away from the launch percussion and crowds it was a great 'alternative' for the little ones in the group we were with....lots of ohhhh wows but no tears or holding their ears.

olegc
09-24-2006, 08:13 AM
we have been able to grab a comfortable spot at Plaza gardens, tucked in close to the fence of Tiki Room. So - as you walk in go as much to the right as you can. I have done it with as little as 20 min before the start and had very good views (once even a seat). the view is partially obstructed but you do catch everything...

and it's still in the hub (that HM stretch room effect is great)

Oleg