PDA

View Full Version : Which rides NOT to ride-senior/no heights

Mom2
09-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Which rides should be avoided for a senior citizen or someone that is afraid of heights? We are taking my Mom with us on vacation and she is 65. She dosnt have any known heart problems or anything at all, but is somewhat thin and frail, and afraid of heights. We are going to Disneyland and California Adventure Park. We have been there a lot but not in this type of situation. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

So far on my do not ride list-pretty much the big rides I guess:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Railroad
Indiana Johnes
Sun Wheel
Soaring Over California
Mullholland Madness
Matterhorn

Okay to ride list:
Pirates of the Carribean
Small World
Grizzly River Run

Obviously there are plenty of things to do:
Hyperion Theater
Bugs Land and Show
Honey I Shrunk
Tortilla/Bread Factories

Drawing a blank now..it is 3 am here!
Thanks so much!

backsthepack
09-22-2006, 04:08 AM
I am afraid of heights (and big rides), but love Indiana Jones. Maybe give that one a second thought for her.

Otherwise I think your list is pretty much right on, except add Tower of Terror to it. Soarin' was really scary for me. We were first in line, so our little seat thing went up to the top. Not sure if I would have been as afraid if we could have been in the bottom one.

MammaSilva
09-22-2006, 07:02 AM
I'd say all of Fantasyland with the two exceptions of Dumbo and Matterhorn if she's not a fan of any fast/coaster type ride.

In Tomorrowland..

Autopia and Buzz, skip Space and Star tours and Astro obiters

Frontierland: skip Big thunder, go on Mark Twain and the Columbia if it's running

NoS: Haunted Mansion, Pirates both are a go, plus just wandering in and out of all the shops, don't forget the bling bling store ;)

Critter country: skip Splash, take her on Pooh...

Adventureland: skip Indy if she isn't into thrill rides...ditto for the treehouse due to the height issue, do ride Jungle cruise and make time for the Aladdin Story telling, it's adorable....and especially make time for the Tiki room.

Out in Toontown....go explore all the interactive stuff, wander thru Minnies and Mickeys houses, I'm personally not a big fan of Roger Rabbits Cartoon spin but it isn't an issue for the fears or turbulance.

Of course one of the best low key attractions is always the Disneyland Railroad.

ghoofie
09-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Not sure why you would pick Grizzly as o.k. and Soarin' as not.
Just a thought. We took my mom-in-law on Soarin. It was fine. The
height thing might be a issue, but maybe not. Is she ok with spinning and
probably getting wet ? That's Grizzly. She did not go on Grizzly.

Mom2
09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
I think she is okay with spinning and the small drops on Grizzly. GEtting wet-I figured we would get her a poncho, so she wouldnt get too wet anyway. Soarin-I think the illusion of height, along with the possibiity that we could end up on the top row would scare her.

SarahShep
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
We took my grandpa on everything, and I mean everything, even Mailboomer, when he was in his late 70's. He never had heart problems, and was completely fine. Although I was scared to death when he went on Maliboomer, he had the world's biggest grin when he got off.

I'm deathly afraid of heights, but I can handle all the "coaster" rides in Disneyland. The only thing I won't go on is Splash. DCA is another matter entirely. I pretty much won't ride anything there, except for Soarin. I feel really safe belted in that hang glider, and since it never does anything drastic, I don't get scared. I can even handle the top row.

Bolivar
09-22-2006, 07:56 AM
When I took my parents to Disneyland my mother was 69 and my father 73. There wasn't anything they didn't go on. I don't see being 65 as a barrier to any of the rides. The fear of heights is another issue and I have no experience with that so can't comment.

SarahShep slipped ahead of me with a similar comment.

09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't see being 65 as a barrier to any of the rides.

It seems like it's more an overall health thing than an age thing. My husband is 63 and he'd be the Energizer Bunny at the DLR compared to me, although I am 15 years younger. He'd be on all the rides, I'd be the one people watching at NOS.

Malcon10t
09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Which rides should be avoided for a senior citizen or someone that is afraid of heights? We are taking my Mom with us on vacation and she is 65. She dosnt have any known heart problems or anything at all, but is somewhat thin and frail, and afraid of heights. My mom has the same issues. Funniest thing happened, she came down to DL and brought 2 of my nieces (4yo). She didn't want anyone else to watch them (fear of losing them, she's the only one who lost them that trip...) so when we said "We are taking them on TOT, you can wait in line and then step out while we ride", she waited til we got to the front, then decided she had to go on, even if it killed her... When it was over, she loved it. One of her favorite rides. Same with Space Mountain.

My stepdad (70) went also. We were nervous because he had Guillian Barre, and has problems with balance and walking. Thing is, he loves the fast rides. He hadnt ridden one in 20 years. And we know about load procedures and cascade stops. So, we made sure we had the "big boys" with him so he could ride Screamin. As soon as Screamin released the shoulder bars, my brother and son were up and out, and literally lifting him out of the car. I've never seen them work so well together.

Malcon10t
09-22-2006, 09:03 AM
I think she is okay with spinning and the small drops on Grizzly. GEtting wet-I figured we would get her a poncho, so she wouldnt get too wet anyway. Soarin-I think the illusion of height, along with the possibiity that we could end up on the top row would scare her.Ask for the bottom row. Everyone is different. My mom has a major fear of heights, but Soarin is ok with her. The Sunwheel is NOT.

The Real Cinderella
09-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I went on Soarin' with my aunt, who is afraid of heights, and my grandmother, who is heading towards her 70's. Both of them now claim it is their favorite ride. It is beautiful, not scary. It's very secure.

Malcon10t
09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Which rides should be avoided for a senior citizen or someone that is afraid of heights? We are taking my Mom with us on vacation and she is 65. She dosnt have any known heart problems or anything at all, but is somewhat thin and frail, and afraid of heights. We are going to Disneyland and California Adventure Park. We have been there a lot but not in this type of situation. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. I think my biggest suggestion would be not to rule out any rides. She is 65, she can decide what she wants to try. Depending on her fraility, she may not want to do autopia, or you may do it like we do. I position myself as the car behind my daughter so no one can bump her (she has a service puppy.) She can ride knowing if she gets bumped, its mom's fault and mom will pay dearly the rest of the trip. Incurring her rath is worse than any CM chewing out for bumping.

wvnative
09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
I also have a fear of heights. I like Soarin' from the bottom row. I could never do the Sun Wheel or Dumbo. I can do most rides that I am securely strapped in to though. Mine's definitely more of a fear of falling than of being up high.

dsnyredhead
09-22-2006, 09:52 AM
When I took my parents to Disneyland my mother was 69 and my father 73. There wasn't anything they didn't go on. I don't see being 65 as a barrier to any of the rides. The fear of heights is another issue and I have no experience with that so can't comment.

SarahShep slipped ahead of me with a similar comment.

It's really up to the individual person. My father-in-law also goes on thrill rides and he's in his upper 60's.

Crazy4DL
09-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Age is not the problem -other than it brings on some health issues such as heart problems or back and/or knee problems. I am 52 and my DH is 71 with some health problems but we still rode all the rides at DL except Star Wars.

Indy was too jerky for me. Space too fast for more than once. BTMRR a bit too fast but there was a little girl with me that LOVES that ride so "Ruffie" rode more than she would have. ;)

At DCA, Soarin' is our favorite. LOVE it. I am not crazy over height either but feel completely safe on that ride. I even did ToT! (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EbuWrNmxZt16&notag=1) :D SunWheel in the non- swinging ones. I can NOT do Screamin - unless I want to feel sick for 2 or 3 yrs after wards. Never been able to get up the nerve to try Maliboomer either. :eek: Grizzly is just down right FUN too - but wet for sure.

So just some thought from another over 50er. :)

Whittibo
09-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I have a mild/medium fear of heights and I HATED Dumbo. I won't go on the Astro Orbiters. I can still remember our first visit 6 years ago, my oldest and I were on Dumbo, she kept making it go up, I was video taping it and was yelling at her to "STOP IT, go DOWN NOW!!" she was laughing and I was really mad. It's funny now, but I think if I had a REALLY bad fear of heights, it never would have been funny. :(

Tower of Terror I am OK on because I am not "on the edge" or close to the edge at all, and strapped in. Same with Soarin'. I can go on that ride all day long. And Screamin' it's by far my favorite ride in both parks. So as you can see, I must not be THAT afraid of them. Just kind of panicky.

backsthepack
09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh, I forgot all about Dumbo. My son made me go on this once last year. I thought I was going to die from fear. He kept pushing it up and up. Scared the heck out of me.

mistofviolets
09-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Add Winnie the Pooh to the 'okay" list :) And Storybook canal boats.

And the rockets ride (can't remember the name) to the "avoid".

TTFN92
09-22-2006, 01:47 PM
My mom, and the 3 girls, are all afraid of heights. We took my parents with us to DL in March and my mom when on the Sun Wheel while my and my sister watched safely from the ground. Ferris wheels scare me to death!!! I went on one at Cedar Point and thought I was going to die. Soarin' scared me the first time, but I love that ride now. We took my parents and my mom was a little jittery at first, but once it got going she loved it. It is just such a beautiful ride. I can also do ToT, love it! But I cannot handle Maliboomer. Went on it once and that is enough. I feel secure in ToT and I can't see anything. But on Maliboomer I feel like the sheild is going to come undone and I'm going to slip off. I also don't mind Dumbo but hate the Astro Orbitor. That feels like I am going to fall out unless I'm in one certain spot. I only go on it for my kids and it's only once every few visits.