PDA

View Full Version : Mass casualty drill at Disneyland

capst
09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
According to a scanner list I am on, Disneyland is conducting a Mass Casualty Drill on a water ride Wednesday night 9/20 after park closing.

>Still not sure if this is a drill, but there's lots
> of activity on the
> Disneyland RED channel also.
> 21 walking-wounded, several immediate and delayed
> and at least one morgue at
> this point.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Very interesting! Where are you finding this? A scanner? (Sorry, I am not familiar with them.)

PAPACITO
09-20-2006, 11:31 PM
What happened was a drill and I was there for it. The dead person was being played by a dummy. It was such a cool experience. I was one of those wounded. I have pictures of my wounds if you want to see them. They look totally real. During all of this I had a hard time keeping a straight face. But the police firefighter and the Disney nurses were totall professtional.

CandiBell
09-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Is this drill something they conduct routinely, or is it something new? Like, have they been identified as a potential target and so they are doing the drill? A person doesn't know what to think these days...

capst
09-21-2006, 01:36 AM
What ride were they using?

PAPACITO
09-21-2006, 06:35 AM
It was held on the Jungle Cruise. I think they did it on the Jungle Cruise because perhaps it would be a good scenario to test first responders. It would be very hard to get to the boat and treat people in the middle of water.They even had divers ready incase people fell in the water.

It was a complet effort involving the jungle cruise cm's, Disney nurses, security, and Anaheim fire/ police.
It was wierd, because we were yelling at police and the firefighters to kind of test them and see how they would act.

ochibiyo
09-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Papacito, could we see some pics. I'm glad they run these drills! Anything can happen, I'm resting a little bit easier knowing that Disney is ready. Thanks again!

annieb727
09-21-2006, 07:38 AM
that is really a good idea. what a fun thing to participate in too!

dh got to do that kind of thing out in the community here (he's in the military, so they do stuff like that here a lot - since he's medical he's always on the responding side), but he said it was fun to act like one of the injured ones.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
We used to do the same type of drills when i was in the Millitary. It is supposed to help make it more realistic and shocking for those involved. They are very good drills to have and help for when real emergancys happen.

jdee
09-21-2006, 07:59 AM
It seems like I have heard on the news that DL is a Terrorist's target. So I'm glad to hear they are being prepared as they can be.

mulansgirl
09-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Is this a california thing? because we used to do this in high school and middle school. I kinda thought it was normal because I moved after middle school, and the high school also did it. Later my husband told me they even did this in his elementary school ( same city as my HS). I believe we did these for earthquakes, we also had people all bandaged up. A very nice excuse to get out of class. I could not imagine this on a DL sized scale. Terrorist or earthquake I would prefer not to be there, but if I am I was happy untill then.

09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Is this a california thing?

The kids drill for tornado situations.

The rescue and medical personnel drill here for a Columbine-type situation to drill mass casualties, shock, and gunshot wounds. They also do it for a chemical spill to test for mass lung problems and burns. Probably there are other situations.

Bolivar
09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Is this a california thing? because we used to do this in high school and middle school. I kinda thought it was normal because I moved after middle school, and the high school also did it. Later my husband told me they even did this in his elementary school ( same city as my HS). I believe we did these for earthquakes, we also had people all bandaged up. A very nice excuse to get out of class. I could not imagine this on a DL sized scale. Terrorist or earthquake I would prefer not to be there, but if I am I was happy untill then.
When I was in elementary school we actually did drills for nuclear bomb attacks. This was in the late 60s. I call them drills, all we would do is get under our desks, cover our heads with our hands and arms, and then discuss things like closing our eyes and not looking at the blast. There would also be discussions about how we would get home and reunite with our families. At some point, I don't remember when, these transformed into earthquake drills. We did pretty much the exact same thing, but it was in case of an earthquake instead of a nuclear attack.

A mass casualty drill for first responders is a very different thing. They have a scenario set up where there are lots of people injured and the responders have to find them and treat them appropriately. Each person playing a victim has instructions as to what their injuries are and how to act. They often have makeup to make the wounds look realistic. Depending on the extent of the drill, it doesn't just test the individual person who is responding to a victim, but the whole system.

Opus1guy
09-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Probably there are other situations.

Pretty routine at airports across the country. Most major airports do one of these once every year or two. Sometimes (like at LAX) they advertise in the paper looking for volunteer victims.

A few years ago at one at LAX, a person had a real heart attack during the drill, and they went untreated for brief period of time due to bad communications. Everyone had been told to use the code-phrase "I need a Coke" to alert anyone that they weren't faking if a real problem existed. This person had a heart attack and was saying "I need a Coke" to the rescue worker who apparently didn't listen during briefing, or didn't remember the code-phrase.

PAPACITO
09-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Pretty routine at airports across the country. Most major airports do one of these once every year or two. Sometimes (like at LAX) they advertise in the paper looking for volunteer victims.

A few years ago at one at LAX, a person had a real heart attack during the drill, and they went untreated for brief period of time due to bad communications. Everyone had been told to use the code-phrase "I need a Coke" to alert anyone that they weren't faking if a real problem existed. This person had a heart attack and was saying "I need a Coke" to the rescue worker who apparently didn't listen during briefing, or didn't remember the code-phrase.
The code yesterday incase here was a real injury was "mickey mickey mickey"

hefferdude
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
When I was in elementary school we actually did drills for nuclear bomb attacks.
Yup, it was called " Duck and cover " Interesting to google the term.
Dating ourselves ( late 50's ) :eek:

Tinkermommy
09-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Yup, it was called " Duck and cover " Interesting to google the term.Dating ourselves ( late 50's ) :eek:

They still teach elementary school children to "duck and cover" here in Southern California. (Where I live, at least.) But now it's the term they use in earthquake drills.

jswtsang
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Wow that's scary...were any of the other victims able to hear? I think in that case I'd be running over and yelling "This man needs a COKE!" or something!

jt

asharpcook
09-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Here we have fire drills, earthquake drills, and lockdown drills for my kids schools. My eldest son even worked with the Fresno PD with his FFA class to help train the riot and SWAT teams. The kids were the 'crowd' that was supposed to be rioting. The news covered it, and to be honest we had a good laugh over it. (not that it was a funny thing to practice...but my son and his friend decided it would be fun to 'bum rush' the female officer and she ended up cleaning their clocks!)
It is kind of sad that we have to have lock down drills, though...
AS:rolleyes: