PDA

View Full Version : Very Detailed DLR Attendance numbers

Darkbeer
05-12-2002, 10:11 PM
I want to post a couple of messages from Galaxie 500 that are very informative in reporting the Current Attendance levels for both Disneyland and DCA...

>>Last Thursday's attendance was just over 6,000 for the day, from it's fiscal year estimate of 11,000. They had only two trains running on Screamin' all day, which is quite frankly pitiful. They can run 4 trains using the exact same labor costs, but maintenance budgets have been cut for nightlyPreventative Maintenance on an extra train or three. Soarin' Theater B was down for long stretches for door intrusion faults, effectively halfing capacity of that E Ticket attraction.

[rest of this section removed; I can't find the original to link so Darkbeer will have to provide that. - AS]

>>DCA has not met expectations this Spring. The two weeks surrounding Easter had just over a 20% decline in attendance for DCA. Disneyland increased it's attendance for the same period slightly over it's 2001 numbers.

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-18596-P-1&Refresh=0513070830

[These posts are cut and copy from another message board. Please do not do this, just provide the links and a summary - AS]<<

blusilva
05-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Last Monday I left work at Beverly and La Cienega at 6 p.m. Since I was going to see a band at HOB who was due to perform at around 9ish, I figured I get a couple of DCA hours in. Disneyland would be too crowded at that time of night and I kind of just wanted to do some low key "one person" stuff, like seeing the Walt Disney film and hitting the roller coaster. I arrived at the front gate at 7:30ish only to find that they had closed at 7.

How do they expect to build a customer base of locals if the park isn't open after work during the week? They built DTD to try to lure in the locals which is all well and good, but I really don't get not keeping the parks open. Disneyland closed at 8 - but at least I got in a ride on Pinocchio and Dumbo before I hit the Monorail to head back to DTD. And sit around NOT shopping and NOT eating for an hour. I didn't get there early to shop and eat at a ridiculously overpriced mall full of specialty shops. If I had wanted to do that, I would have gone across the street from work into the Beverly Center for a couple of hours. Instead, I wanted to play in the new park. I actually WANTED to. And I may have even shopped and eaten there, as I tend to do a lot of impulse buying once inside the parks.

As I was sitting in front of the HOB, one of those nice people with the electronic pads surveyed me. She asked if I was going to eat or drink at any of the DTD establishments (yeah, I figured I'd have a drink or two once inside the HOB, but guess what - I didn't), if I was planning to shop (uh, NO), if I had hit Disneyland (yeah) and if I had hit DCA (no), but she didn't ask WHY I didn't hit DCA and decided to go to Disneyland instead. She didn't ask until late in the the questioning if I was an annual passholder. She didn't give me the option of telling her why I went to Disneyland and not DCA. She didn't even ask why I was at DTD in the first place.

I know it's a money thing for them. It costs them to keep the park operating at night in the off-season. But considering they how much they are banking on the locals to shore up DCA, the drastic action of giving free admission to the premium pass holders does no good if the place ain't open when the locals are most likely to be there.

Oh, and P.S. I felt really very sorry for the band playing at HOB that night. I sat there for an hour watching as tons of folks who would have walked in the door were detered by a big "Closed for Private Party" sign sitting out front. I know that the HOB there is much more of a restaurant than a music venue - as opposed to the HOB in West Hollywood - but wouldn't you think considering how much more the Anaheim venue depends of foot traffic, they'd be a bit more concerned about turning scads of potential customers away?

Mad Hatter
05-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Well,maybe they will make it one theme park. Not!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Mad Hatter
05-12-2002, 11:53 PM
Oops, What am I thinking?One park? One admission? God,it must be a nightmare.

Uncle Dick
05-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
There is one other online personality who describes herself as an "insider", and claimed DCA attendance was markedly increased over year prior levels. That false claim now makes me realize there is some sort of purposeful agenda with that person, or else just a genuine lack of knowledge.
Can't you just imagine Galaxie and this "other" person as best friends with offices right next to each other back in TDA, who both go home and have no idea what the other person is posting? That would be hilarious. ;)

Anyway, I've read a lot of Galaxie's posts in the past, and if nothing else, they remind me that there is some sanity back there in the big yellow building. :D

To any "suits" reading this: Just kidding, guys. You know I love you all.

zapppop
05-13-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
How do they expect to build a customer base of locals if the park isn't open after work during the week?
I agree. I often visit Disneyland after I come home from work and change clothes. Usually I arrive at the resort around 5 or 6 PM and California Adventure is already closed for the day. So of course I'm gonna go to Disneyland.
At least it's open !

Sailor Butterfly
05-13-2002, 05:40 AM
"A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only plant vines."

That or close early, whichever is more convenient.

80S ERA
05-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
....I arrived at the front gate at 7:30ish only to find that they had closed at 7.
Geez...If that "saves" money, they could "save" even more costs by having the park open from 10am-10:30am.:rolleyes:

coronamouseman
05-15-2002, 08:36 PM
There was some announcement not too long ago saying that DLR and for that fact, Southern California, had actually shown less of a drop in tourist traffic than had been anticipated - who knows where those numbers fit into Disney's own projections (either before or after 9/11) .........

So who is really to say what is "good" attendance or "bad" attendance at DLR at this point in time? I suppose as long as the gates stay open and Disney is successful (which they are by Wall Street standards at the moment) then all is well ...............

And as regarding park hours, obviously if you can cut those down to two shifts as opposed to three then you are saving major costs and isn't that what they are doing when they close so early at DCA?