PDA

View Full Version : GCH now booked... plan coming together

Pat-n-Eil
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I just got off the phone with my AAA travel agent who is helping me to coordinate my "surprise upgrade" trip to DLR next June and our stay at the GCH.

It is surprisingly difficult to get a committment out of the GCH regarding rooms, views, wings of the hotel.. whatever. You'd think that such a high end hotel would be a bit more accomodating. Some of what they consider a "theme park view" is suspect to me. It seems that if you can crane your neck and possibly see one of the rides, that constitutes a theme park view. For the most part the pool view is considered theme park too.. even though 90% of the park is not in view.

Anyhow I ended up taking some advise given by going2disneyAZ on another thread. I'm booking a standard view - my Dad is booking a theme park view and in addition to making notes on the reservation, also when we get there I am going to request a room near them. We *might* get lucky with an upgrade.

I have also contacted Limo King (http://www.alimoking.com) as suggested by MamaSilva and that will be the first surprise my family gets after we arrive. I'm going to coordinate with them so that we'll say "Best Western Park Place Inn" but really he'll take us to the GCH.

Fun times.. :)

09-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I love your idea of a "surprise upgrade" trip. Very clever!

rentayenta
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Very cool. I love when a plan comes together.

I am planning our Decemeber trip and I am almost finished. I have emailed VP and have all sorts of ideas for surprises. I have requested the pics and balloons for the kidlets. I have ordered the Disney Dollars. I called the ESPN Zone to inquire about DH getting to have a "lounge" evening in one of their Lazy Boy's- remote in beer in hand. BAB now has Pooh and friends so that's a go. Legoland tickets are taken care of thanks to MS. Now onto Lilo PS and Carnation Cafe PS and we are good to go.

Oh and I have to finish paying for it but I have been chipping away slowly so I only have about half left. :D

Disneygirl65
09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I called the ESPN Zone to inquire about DH getting to have a "lounge" evening in one of their Lazy Boy's- remote in beer in hand.

Can you tell me more please?

pisces
09-20-2006, 08:38 PM
There are certain pool views that take in the theme park. You have to look on the room map.

One side of the hotel faces both the pool, and the Paradise Pier.

The other sides face only the pool.

These upgrade issues were discussed on a different thread.

Needless to say (so why say it?) .....I don't think it's a sure bet at this juncture.

I don't think anything is really guaranteed until you get up to the front desk and see what they have right then and there.

They do have something called a 'partial' theme park view. I think that's what I had this last time. You can look at my pictures. However, I thought it was a lot more than 'partial', since it took in everything....yet that's what they labeled it.

And, it was an upgrade, though I never requested it. They just offered it to me, unexpectedly, when I went to check in.......because they had an excess of rooms available at that time, I guess.

It's hard for them to know all what they'll have ahead of time. People cancel at the last minute, or a crowd of people show up, out of nowhere, at the last minute, unexpectedly, and want to stay at the GCH.

That happens a lot, and they are cleaned out of any extra rooms, upgrades they may have had.

Maybe try to be flexible?

rentayenta
09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Can you tell me more please?

Why yes I can! :D The ESPN Zone has Lazy Boy type chairs that are first come, first serve. You get your own tv and remote; there is no minimum purchase required. The manager told me that if he gets there by 5:00 on a weeknight then he should have no problems getting one of these coveted chairs.

Pat-n-Eil
09-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Yeah, Pisces (I'm a pisces too). I've done all I can do now. Once we arrive we'll see what happens. It would be nice if we could at least be all on the same floor :)