PDA

View Full Version : Transportation question - Downtown LA to Disneyland...

annieb727
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey there...so I am taking a trip (hopefully) to LA next month and will be spending time both in LA and at Disneyland. I got the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on priceline for four nights for $60/night! So I am planning to be there from the 4th to the 8th of October. The 8th is Sunday, and I will be moving over to Disneyland area (if all goes well I will keep my reservation at the Disneyland hotel).

So I'm wondering how it would be best to get from LA to DL? I will also be travelling with my four year old son...rental car is out of the question for this trip, so I need to rely on shuttles, taxis, and public transportation. And I guess with shuttles and taxis I will need my son's car seat - so walking much will be difficult - unless I use all public transportation.

Thanks!

Darkbeer
09-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Use public transportation, quick and easy.

Ask your hotel front desk for directions to the Metro Red Line (Subway) and take it to Union Station.

Then take either the Metrolink or Amtrak train service.

The Metrolink is the cheaper option....

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/lines/schedules/

You will take the Orange County Line to the Fullerton Station.

Note: when buying the Metrolink tickets, be sure and choose the "Special Tickets" option on the left side of the screen. The Metrolink is half price on the OC line on weekends. And your son will be free for the entire trip.

The drawback on the Metrolink, the first train doesn't leave until 1:30 PM. If you want to leave earlier, you will need to take Amtrak, which has plenty of trains that leave earlier.

When you arrive at Fullerton, catch the OCTA bus, Route 43 going south (just show your Metrolink ticket, no need to buy a ticket). This bus runs about every 15 minutes. The three mile bus trip takes about 20 minutes and will drop you off in front of the Disneyland Resort Pedestrian Entrance.

Then you just need to walk thru Downtown Disney to get to the Hotel.

annieb727
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
thanks darkbeer!

Darkbeer
09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
By the way, if you use Amtrak, you will have to pay $1.25 for the OCTA bus, the free bus ride only works with the Metrolink tickets.

annieb727
09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
good to know! thanks (again :) )

annieb727
09-21-2006, 07:46 AM
another question for you darkbeer (or anyone else who knows and/or wants to answer)...

I was looking on metro.net website...and I put in the addresses for the hotel and then the 1600 S. Harbor Blvd - since it's close to the crosswalk there - and it gives me the Metro Bus 460 to take. With no transfers. It says it takes about 1 1/2 hours (up to 2 hours depending on the time of day)...is this a good option or not? Is it faster to take the trains and stuff?

Darkbeer
09-21-2006, 07:52 AM
You could take the 460, it is an express bus, but it does take close to two hours. It drops you off at the same bus stop as the OCTA Route 43 bus from the Fullerton Train station.

Lisa and I take the Metrolink about once a month on weekends as a day's adventure (we like the discounted rates), so I guess I have a bit of a "train" bias.

Either way works, the bus is cheaper (about $2), but the train is more interesting, and more comfortable.....

annieb727
09-21-2006, 07:53 AM
thanks...yeah, I think my son would probably be more enthralled with the train...quite an adventure - and he's only ever been on the DL train, so it would really be great fun for him.

jdromeo21
09-21-2006, 02:47 PM
What's probably best and safest is the REd Van or Blue Super Shuttles...they range from LAX to SNA (Orange County Airport) for about $30 per person...and with children, either free or discounted rate.

And it's a straight shot, with no waiting, so without traffic, you could get there in about 30-40 min if you shoot up the 105 to the 605 to the 5...without traffic.

annieb727
09-21-2006, 02:50 PM
What's probably best and safest is the REd Van or Blue Super Shuttles...they range from LAX to SNA (Orange County Airport) for about $30 per person...and with children, either free or discounted rate.

And it's a straight shot, with no waiting, so without traffic, you could get there in about 30-40 min if you shoot up the 105 to the 605 to the 5...without traffic.

yeah...um...got quoted $110 for that from the Bonaventure to DLH for me and my four year old son (Super Shuttle). I did consider taking a shuttle back to LAX then catching the Disneyland Resort Express Bus...BUT, I think we'll have fun this way...and it will be in the afternoon anyway. And we'll save some money.

jcruise86
09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Use public transportation, quick and easy.

Ask your hotel front desk for directions to the Metro Red Line (Subway) and take it to Union Station.

Then take either the Metrolink or Amtrak train service.

The Metrolink is the cheaper option....

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/lines/schedules/

You will take the Orange County Line to the Fullerton Station.

Note: when buying the Metrolink tickets, be sure and choose the "Special Tickets" option on the left side of the screen. The Metrolink is half price on the OC line on weekends. And your son will be free for the entire trip.

The drawback on the Metrolink, the first train doesn't leave until 1:30 PM. If you want to leave earlier, you will need to take Amtrak, which has plenty of trains that leave earlier.

When you arrive at Fullerton, catch the OCTA bus, Route 43 going south (just show your Metrolink ticket, no need to buy a ticket). This bus runs about every 15 minutes. The three mile bus trip takes about 20 minutes and will drop you off in front of the Disneyland Resort Pedestrian Entrance.

Then you just need to walk thru Downtown Disney to get to the Hotel.

That's "quick and easy"?

Wouldn't it be great (and popular!) if a train went from Union Station to within walking distance of Disney's entrance? Our L.A. mayor has LAX busses from Union Station. How about Disneyland trains or busses in conjunction with Anaheim?

annieb727
09-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey Darkbeer (I tried to PM this question to you, but your box is full)...I have another question about the Public Transit down there in LA...

I will be arriving at LAX on Wednesday of next week around 10:30. I figure I can take public transit to my hotel - Westin Bonaventure at 404 S. Figueroa St in Downtown LA.

I was looking at the Metro.net website and there was an option for me to take the Flyaway Union Station, and then get off at Patsaouras Plaza/Bus Bay 9, then walk over to Union Station Redline Terminal. On this map is shows only a major freewayto get from one to the other, but I am wondering if YOU know if it's easy to walk? Is there a pedestrian walkway to get there?

Thanks!

Darkbeer
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I never have taken the Flyaway bus, though I have heard good reviews....

One entrance to Union Station is located right at the Bus Bays....

http://www.mta.net/images/flyaway.pdf

Not sure what freeway you are talking about....

By the way, you can now check in for most flights at Union Station if you take the Flyaway bus, including processing your luggage.

And I am about to clean out my PM's....

annieb727
09-26-2006, 02:16 PM
that's good to know...

this is the map I was seeing...

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php?name=trip&format=TABLETEXT&place0=lax&place1=404+S.+Figueroa&day0=WED&timecrit0=LV&hour0=11&min0=30&ampm0=A&fare=RG&evaluateButton.x=34&evaluateButton.y=5

I clicked on where i get off the flyaway, and where i get on the metro, and it was confusing, but thanks for your link!

ETA: this link will take you back to the main page...oh well...just know your link really helped me LOL