PDA

View Full Version : 50th decorations disappearing

Bytebear
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
I was at the park today (Sunday, Sept 17th) and a lot of the 50th decorations are already gone. Most of the hidden mickey's have been taken down, the happiest faces have been removed, and the golden vehicles have been removed, although the golden teacup is still there.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Boo hoo!!! :crying: Although I was there 3 trips during the celebration, it will seem naked not to have the collages, 50s and decor. Sigh. It sure was a fun ride!

kiwifuz
09-17-2006, 10:27 PM
:( Yeah I saw this in some of Darkbeer's photo updates. It's kind of sad to see it go. Then again it'll be nice to have everything move on & have some of the new attractions open. :)

TowerofTerror
09-17-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I'm sure if you want something from the 50th celebration you can get it from ebay or Disney discount store. I`m sad it`s coming to end too.

rentayenta
09-18-2006, 04:12 AM
I am happy to see it go. But too chicken to verbalize it. ;)

I am looking forward to the holiday decorations.

jdee
09-18-2006, 04:36 AM
The 50th celebrations was great! I was there for the May 5th, July 17th and several other days, all full of wonderful memories. But it is time to move on and I'm sure Disney will give of plenty to look forward to.

RStar
09-18-2006, 06:02 AM
While I'll be happy to see the advertising and crowds go, I'll miss some of the decorations as well. But I too, will be happy to see them replaced with first the Halloween, the Christams decorations. It will be almost depressing after the first of the year when there are no extra decorations for the first time in years.

I think I'll miss the way the castle looked the most.

cstephens
09-18-2006, 06:22 AM
although the golden teacup is still there.

The photo op one is still there, but the one on the ride is gone. The Peter Pan golden photo vehicle was still there, but the Toad one was gone. There were still a few of the "happiest" faces around (Buzz, Small World, Genie, Simba and Nala), but a lot were gone (princesses on Small World mall, Lady and the Tramp, Maleficent, castle ones).

Looking forward to the fall decorations!

pisces
09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
They've created a lot of extra work for themselves, it seems.

I'd have left everything up until January, and then taken it all down at the same time.

The way it is now, they're scrambling to remove the 50th so they can put up Halloween.

Then, they've got to rush to put up Halloween, which will only stay up for a month, (give or take) it looks like.

Then they've got to rush to take down Halloween, and start in with Christmas...

I'm tired already, and dizzy.

Nancy
09-18-2006, 07:42 AM

I'd have left everything up until January, and then taken it all down at the same time.

The way it is now, they're scrambling to remove the 50th so they can put up Halloween.

Then, they've got to rush to put up Halloween, which will only stay up for a month, (give or take) it looks like.

That is called job security.

DaddyB
09-18-2006, 09:10 AM
I won't be sad to see that stupid "50th" spiderweb and the spiders in front of the Haunted Mansion gone. Won't be sad to see most of the other 'hidden' 50's gone, either. New Orleans Square, the Mark Twain, the medallion over the boobies on the Columbia. The ones on the cigar-store indians...

I personally hope they don't remove the crowns on the castle, or at least find some way to keep some of the gold up there in a tasteful way. I was looking at some of my pictures from early 2005 when the tarps were down around the castle from the paint/roof/gilding job but before they put up the crowns. It sure looked plain.

DangerMouse
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
I won't be sad to see that stupid "50th" spiderweb and the spiders in front of the Haunted Mansion gone. Won't be sad to see most of the other 'hidden' 50's gone, either. New Orleans Square, the Mark Twain, the medallion over the boobies on the Columbia. The ones on the cigar-store indians...

I personally hope they don't remove the crowns on the castle, or at least find some way to keep some of the gold up there in a tasteful way. I was looking at some of my pictures from early 2005 when the tarps were down around the castle from the paint/roof/gilding job but before they put up the crowns. It sure looked plain.

DaddyB! So nice to see a post from you! I will also miss some of the 50th touches. I loved the photo mosaics. They were so unique and real pieces of art.

JookyG
09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Anyone know if the Magical Milestones flattened penny machines will be sticking around after the anniversary ends? I didn't get to complete my collection, and I won't be back at the resort until December.

Darkbeer
09-18-2006, 11:18 AM

As of Saturday....

"50th" spiderweb and the spiders in front of the Haunted Mansion - GONE

New Orleans Square - GONE

The Mark Twain - Banner still there

The medallion over the boobies on the Columbia - GONE

The ones on the cigar-store indians - GONE

Darkbeer
09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if the Magical Milestones flattened penny machines will be sticking around after the anniversary ends? I didn't get to complete my collection, and I won't be back at the resort until December.

Anniversary ends September 30th, but I don't see them rushing to take these out, heck they make money, and they don't really have anything to replace them with.

Here is a site that specializes in the Coin Pressing machines, if they start to disappear, more than likely, the info will show up here first...

http://www.parkpennies.com/disneyland_pressed_penny_machine_news.htm

SeansMom
09-18-2006, 01:58 PM
As of Saturday....

New Orleans Square - GONE

OMG they did away with NOS??? ;)

tinker3
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I am happy to see it go. But too chicken to verbalize it. ;)

I am looking forward to the holiday decorations.

LOL:D

I really enjoyed it while it was here but I am also excited to see some holiday decor. I just hope we get to see some during the 1st week of Nov. They will probably slowly be taking down Halloween and putting up Christmas at that time.

The Real Cinderella
09-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Honestly, I'm not heartbroken. The castle is gorgeous, and will seem awfully plain, but other than that, I think it's time for a change. We've been celebrating the 50th for a year and a half now. And you know Disney. They're always celebrating something. New decorations will be up before you know it.

After all, the 55th is only a short while away ....

cstephens
09-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Actually, it's called caring about the theming and look of the park. Yes, I've enjoyed the 50th, but it's been more than a year now. A lot of the stuff was looking faded and old. So many people have expressed excitement over Disney actually acknowledging fall and Halloween, and I think all the new decorations and activities is going to bring a new energy to the resort. I can't wait for all that stuff to go up. And then, there's nothing like Christmas time at the resort. Sure, Disney could have taken the easy way out and just left the fading 50th stuff up for another 4 months, or juxtaposed so many themes together, or ignored Halloween for yet another year. Heck, people leave their Christmas lights up on their house year round because they're lazy and don't care that people think it looks stupid.

I for one am glad that Disney is going through the extra work to make the resort look terrific.

pisces
09-18-2006, 04:11 PM
It would be nice if the Halloween stuff stayed up at least thru Thanksgiving.

A single month, approximately, for Halloween, seems very short given the extra effort they are going to with this new Halloween celebration.

I always leave my carved pumpkins out thru Thanksgiving, and it wouldn't be too out-of-line for Disney to just leave Halloween up, especially since Disney already sort of combines Christmas with Halloween in the Haunted Mansion.

mi_mous
09-18-2006, 08:49 PM
We were there on Sunday as well.

I was looking for the collage that we were in, where you could see us... it was gone.

It was good I went when I did, and got a picture of it. (Phew!)

I liked the 50th stuff. It added a new feel to the park. It will be neat to see what they have in store now that it is over though.

I too noticed that things were disappearing, but it is gradual.. so perhaps not as much of a shock.

I too am looking forward to the fall decorations, and the holiday decorations too!