PDA

View Full Version : Gay Pride Week?

Mom2
09-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I just noticed on here that Disneyland is going to have an unofficial event, gay pride week or something during the first week of October when I am going to be there. First, let me say that I am not against gay people, to each their own...in fact I have had friends that were gay men. Have any of you visited Disneyland when the group was visiting? I just wonder because I have a son who is 8 and is VERY NAIVE to these sorts of things...and I really wonder how he will react if he sees anything that was more than say a simple hand holding. He has a slight learning disability and it may be confusing to him...to say the least.
Any suggestions if I run across this situation? ;)

I also noticed the CHOC Walk benefit will be going on that Sunday morning I will be there. Does anyone know if the park gets especially busy on days they have the walks? Or do a lot of the walkers head home after the walk?

Stupid_American
09-17-2006, 05:32 AM

I really wonder how he will react if he sees anything that was more than say a simple hand holding. He has a slight learning disability and it may be confusing to him...to say the least.

Odds are that simple hand holding will be what you might run across.

Although it has never been warranted with gays I have encountered at the parks, I have suggested getting a room to many straight couples!

averagedork
09-17-2006, 07:38 AM
On Star/98.7 they have a gay themed radio show this am and one of the guys mentioned on his "must list" and it was Gay Days. I was suprised.

MrVisible
09-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I just noticed on here that Disneyland is going to have an unofficial event, gay pride week or something during the first week of October when I am going to be there. First, let me say that I am not against gay people, to each their own...in fact I have had friends that were gay men. Have any of you visited Disneyland when the group was visiting? I just wonder because I have a son who is 8 and is VERY NAIVE to these sorts of things...and I really wonder how he will react if he sees anything that was more than say a simple hand holding. He has a slight learning disability and it may be confusing to him...to say the least.
You might want to prepare your son for the possibility that he might see more same-sex affection than he's used to by explaining to him in advance that there are families out there with two fathers or two mothers instead of the usual mother-father arrangement. That these are people who love each other, getting together to have fun in their favorite place.

There are three weeks until that weekend, so your timing is excellent. You have plenty of time to treat this as a learning experience. Explain to your son that love comes in all kinds of different ways, and that these people love each other just like any others. It may even be a good opportunity to explain to him that there's a chance that when he grows up he might be the same way, and that if he is you'll love him just the same.

As to the crowds, Gay Day is at Disneyland on Saturday, and DCA on Sunday, if I'm not mistaken. There will obviously be some overflow, but if you want a break from the crowds you can do DCA Saturday and DL on Sunday. We're kind of dreading the crowds too.

disneyhound
09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
You might want to prepare your son for the possibility that he might see more same-sex affection than he's used ...Explain to your son that love comes in all kinds of different ways...It may even be a good opportunity to explain to him that there's a chance that when he grows up he might be the same way...
Wow MrVisible! How is that going to help Mom2's 8-year old son with learning disabilities?

Mom2: Most likely your son won't even notice, maybe he will notice the increase in red shirts, but most folks (gay or straight) don't go to Disneyland to put on a show of affection, they are there for the fun!

As stupid_american said, you most likely would see some couples holding hands; I think you would be more likely to notice any difference than your son. He will follow your lead, no big deal! Have fun!

rosie
09-17-2006, 10:39 AM
This young man will at some time in his life encounter a gay person, whether it be at DL or the supermarket. A simple explaination to begin with will suffice...and if you can make that explaination without judgement then he'll be able to decide on his own how he feels about such things. Hope you have a great time.

Love makes a family.

TP2000
09-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Also realize that your son will become a teenager and enter the dating world in an era that was vastly different from when we grew up. I work with teenagers and I am simply amazed at how much of a non-issue being gay has become in just the last 7 or 8 years.

In the 1990's it was talked about and part of reality with teens, but in the 2000's it has crossed over into just another category of regular life. As in "Adam really likes petite brunettes and Greg really likes blonde guys". The kids today are vastly more accepting than the kids of just 8 or 10 years ago, and many social groups in high school now include open gays and lesbians in their circle.

At least that is how it is with the 16 to 19 year olds in Orange County in 2006. Other cities, or smaller communities in other states, may still be a few years behind the curve on that one. But I have no doubt that when your son is 17 things will be even more accepting than they are today, and the "gay" thing is a non-issue. This young American generation is writing a whole new playbook when it comes to relationships and sexuality and acceptance, and I think most 30+ adults are out of the loop on this cultural change the youth made in the last few years.

As for Disneyland, the poster that mentioned that your son will simply take your lead has a good point. An 8 year old will pick up on the vibe from their parents and take that as a cue. If you don't care that the men ahead of you in line for Star Tours are holding hands just like you hold hands with your husband, then your son probably won't care either.

Rockchalker
09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I also noticed the CHOC Walk benefit will be going on that Sunday morning I will be there. Does anyone know if the park gets especially busy on days they have the walks? Or do a lot of the walkers head home after the walk?

We were there last year during Gay Days and the CHOC Walk. Saturday at DL was pretty busy, but Sunday was very busy. Even though the Gay activities are supposed to be at DCA on Sunday there were a lot of red shirts at DL on Sunday plus the people that stayed around from the benefit walk made for a really crowded day. If we had planned better we would have headed to Sea World that day.

mad4mky
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I have been to DLR during Gay Days several times.

Seriously...you have to worry more about the hetro young couples doing more touchy/feely/making out/groping on any regular day than you do from the gay couples/families/groups during their celebration days at the parks.

I saw no outlandish activities from any person in a red shirt. Ever. At all.

Seriously...the ones that need you need to watch are usually the young middle schoolers with the terrible mouths...and the teenagers who want to show more skin and feel each other up all the time.

I'm a mom of three...so seeing young kids doesn't faze me. Nor does their mouths now...but if my 7 or 8 year old was with me (my girls are older now) I'd be worried about the kids running loose in the park.:(

dsnydon
09-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Gay people are just like anybody else, out there. I never met a gay person I didn't like. Very generous, and for the most part people you can be friends with. Give them a chance, you might be quite surprised:D By the way I've been married for 30 years to the same woman and have two grown kids.

Mom2
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
It sounds as if some of you are concerned that I do not accept or like gay people. That is not it at all. I started this topic to find out how busy it is on those days, along with the Choc Walk going on and asked for advice on how to handle my son if he has questions. I agree, it is more likely that there will be kids of the teenage years doing a bit more than hand holding that I need be concerned about. I have to say, I am young but old fashioned, and I have hopes that my son will grow up to have a wife and kids. Of course if he has other views and ideas, that will be his choice, which I will accept. I really was just conerned about the amount of influence he may receive at a young impressionable age 0especially with his learning disability) and whether or not it is simply a gay pride type of thing or more of a "demonstration" if you will. As I said, I have had gay men friends and they were great. But there are some people out there who feel rebellious when it comes to "coming out" if thats what you call it now. So that also caused me some concern-if this was more of a "statement" kind of unofficial Disney day. I just wanted to know what to expect and want to thank you all for your advice. :)

BlkPearlCptn
09-17-2006, 07:31 PM
From what I hear, it can get pretty crowded. However, what caught my eye was that your son has a "slight learning disability." I teach Special Ed (K-8 moderate to severe.) My kids range from slight learning disabilities (which are considered a slight difficulty in audio, visual, or kinestetic processing, math, reading, and/or writing) to full autisum and physical disabilities. Just wondering what type of slight LD your son has that would have you concerned about how he would react to this. Unless there are other underlying difficulties, the LD shouldn't affect him socially in the least. Hope this helps.

Hope you guys have a GREAT time..and what a wonderful experience to participate in (just watch the crowds LOL)

Mom2
09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
My son does not have a "classification" from the doctors he has seen, except they have ruled out autism, pdd, add, etc. He is somewhat of a slow learner I guess is the best way to describe him. But he excels and is advanced in reading and math. I guess I am somewhat over protective over him, what he sees and doesnt see. Even his Uncle (my brother) is gothic and I really dont like the fact that all he sees when he sees him is skulls and coffins. For example, he has a watch that is a coffin. Now my DS has decided that he is terrified of the Haunted Mansion when I have told him that its not real...I think he has some difficulty in realizing that it is all pretend, lights, props, etc. He does not even really like Halloween now. Although he loves his Uncle, I think he was an influence on him in regard to understanding the holiday...my brother makes it everyday real. Anyway, I am not saying a gay persons behavior is wrong in public, I just just concerned if it was really just a group of people wearing their red pride shirts, or if there were going to be strong statements or displays going on, if you know what I mean. :)

mulansgirl
09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
To tell the truth I always thought of "Gay Days" not just at Disneyland but everywhere (we just had one in our city about a month ago) as a safety in numbers gathering. I have some VERY close friends who are gay and do not really feel safe holding hands in public, but at these events they do because so many around them are also. It is a time where they can be normal, do the everyday things they want to. They do not want to make people gross out with excessive PDA, mostly like everyone else said, they leave that to the youngsters. It is a time to just enjoy and be a family without being worried that just being yourself will offend everyone around you. And unfortunatly that is not always true the only part of Gay Week I got to experiance was the walk against the bashings that happened outside the festivities, three men were beat, I know one died. There are things this socity really needs to fix like prejudice and ignorance. That is how I see it.
Now for crowds good luck.

CandiBell
09-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I think at this point you don't need to explain anything ahead of time. If you see him observing something overt, or if he asks you, then you can have an explanation that you are comfortable with thought of ahead of time, but he's little, and he probably won't think twice, because he doesn't even realize what he is seeing.

Mom2
09-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I think I do just worry what he might see because, like with his Uncle, I am pretty sure my sons fear of Halloween stemmed from what he sees his Uncle wear and flaunt. I dont know though. He has only went trick or treating twice and really doesnt enjoy it. There was never a time that he was scared or we werent with him during those times. Now he wont even look at the Halloween aisle at the store.

By the way, what was that about beatings and someone died, where was that?

DianeM
09-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I was at gay days a couple of years ago, and I didn't even know it was happening until I noticed a LOT of single sex couples wandering around in red t-shirts and put 2 and 2 together. Nobody was behaving outragreously. You may have heard about wild goings on at gay events, and that does happen, but that generally applies to gay-only festivals and parades that don't include children. The last thing the organizers of this even want is for some of there atendees to be provoking outrage - this is a celebration for GLBT *families*. The attendees don't want their children exposed to inappropriate activities any more than you do. If you do see somebody doing something inappropriate, chances are good that there will be a gay family glaring at them in anger along with you.

If your son notices anything, it may be two men walking down the street holding hands. At his age, you can keep the explanation pretty simple. Just tell him that even though most grown up men fall in love with women, some fall in love with men instead. Then proceed to the next ride. He's going to be so overwhelmed by Disneyland, he probably won't even notice the other attendees. In the unlikely event you do see something inappropriate - just tell him what you would tell him if you saw a hetero couple necking - that some people are rude and insist on doing private things in public, but you're not going to let it ruin your trip. And point them out to a nearby CM, so they can be asked to behave or leave.

As for crowds - they are expecing 30,000 gay day atendees on saturday. You're going to have crowds. Personally, I'm avoiding it like the plague, not because I'm concerned about gay people ruining DL, but because I hate crowds.

Mom2
09-17-2006, 08:36 PM
THanks, you have all set my mind at ease. Now I am just simply worried about the crowds...oh my GOSH! 30,000 are you kidding me? Does anyone know what the average number of guests for a busy time at Disneyland is? I just wonder if this is going to be comparable to say a Memorial Day weekend? Wow. Is this expected just for Saturday? I thought that it was going on from October 6-8. Thanks again.

mulansgirl
09-17-2006, 08:48 PM
It was in San Diego, I had thought it was a safe area but some people go out of their way to hurt others for no reason. I still think it is a great place but in a way that feeling has been lessened. I believe the attackers have been found but they are still playing legal tag, last I heard. Oh and I met some great people at the walk old friends of my friends. And there was a great turn out for the walk and it was very respectfull. I just wish there didnt have to be one.
I agree that however you respond your son will feel the same. And about halloween it might not have been his uncle, some kids really just don't like halloween. the masks, the dark, the crowds, strangers, or it might just be the feeling or "aura" that he remembers or does not like. Something very simple to us like getting pushed down might have in a childs mind be traumatizing. There are lots of reasons it could be or it could just be his uncle. But I hope one day he loves Halloween,not just because it is halloween but so he is no longer afraid. Good luck.

DianeM
09-17-2006, 09:18 PM
The entire event is the 6-8, but they are expecting peak crowds on saturday. I guess GLBT people have as much trouble getting days off work as the rest of us. The crowds won't be nearly as bad thursday and friday. 30,000 additional guests isn't as bad as it sounds, especially since DL knows to expect them. The park has a reputed capacity of over 80,000. A very slow day at the park is about 10,000 - 15,000 people. I'm sure that a veteran Mousepadder could give you better numbers - but I don't think it will be as bad as peak traffic, when they sometimes end up closing the park.

Wow. Is this expected just for Saturday? I thought that it was going on from October 6-8. Thanks again.

Mom2
09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I think maybe I should think twice about going for the crowds sake...hmm...maybe I will head down to San Diego one day...maybe I will create another topic about park capacity or search to see if it has already been discussed. If the park has a capacity of 80,000, then I have probably already been there during a 50-60 thousand day...I have seen it so many times of the year-just havent kept track of all of the dates. Thanks again!

ETA: I think the 50-60 thousand is bad enough, but I sure dont want to be there if it is full capacity...I am also taking my elderly mother and I dont know if that kind of stress would be good for her. I have been there at times that the fast passes are already gone by Noon, which was bad enough.

dan1964
09-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I've been going to this weekend for a couple of years now. The amount of people in the park may be a bit higher than a usual weekend, but I never had any problems with extremely long wait times. Saturday usually is the busiest of days, and Sunday morning can be busy too. But I think a lot of folks leave fairly early on Sunday.

However, this year the event also falls on Columbus /Indiginece(sp?) Peoples Day weekend. This might increase the amount of people in the park, or even staying on Sunday as some folks are lucky enough to actually get that Monday off instead of having to take any PTO time off. :)

As to concerns about what may be seen in the park? A lot of red shirts. Many couples in their red shirts with their families/kids. Anything unsightly? No more than I have seen from "straight" couples. So ... it's anyones call on that! LOL

disneyhound
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
It sounds as if some of you are concerned that I do not accept or like gay people...
I did not get that idea from your post!

I share your concern towards big attendance days. We went one year over MLK weekend, and the crowd definately increased due to the three-day weekend. I try to book our DL vacations over the lowest attendance days as possible. It is "sooooo" nice to walk on some rides, like HM and POTC!

Whatever you end up doing with your son, have a great time!

Rteneyck
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I have been to DLR during Gay Days several times.

Seriously...you have to worry more about the hetro young couples doing more touchy/feely/making out/groping on any regular day than you do from the gay couples/families/groups during their celebration days at the parks.

I couldn't agree more. I have been in line and had teenagers in front of us going at it the entire time. I have also been in line with gay couples and they didn't so much hold each other hands.