PDA

View Full Version : Tipping questions at The Grand Californian?

Pages : [1] 2

Tony P
09-16-2006, 09:37 PM
1) Do you leave a tip for house keeping? If so how much?

2) When you order room service & the 20% tip is included on your bill do you tip an additional amount?

Thanks,
Tony

Mom2
09-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I did not ever tip the housekeeping and have stayed there several times. I guess I honestly did not think about it...feel bad now...:eek:

Sorry I cant be of help with your questoins, but I would also like to know what the average tip for the bellhops shoudl be? We are staying at the Paradise Pier this time. Normally we have a pretty full load of luggage, there are 3 adults and 1 child with bags. Plus we will be arriving early before the room is ready, so the luggage will be held. Thanks! :)

ETA: I would think that you would not need to tip an additional amount for room service if they already include 20 percent.

kikid
09-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Hi Tony;

Typically, tipping is done on a daily basis due to different maids on different days. Rule of thumb: $1-5 dollars per day, left on your pillow, and I've heard $10 dollars per day depending on mess...:eek:

Regarding Room Service: A 20% tip is fine unless you want to tip a little extra to the person who delivers the meal.

Enjoy the Grand, and Happy Tipping!

kikid
09-17-2006, 06:43 AM
whoops, I meant to add this to the last post.

Bellops: For the Bellhop that actually takes your bags to the room. Average is
$1-2 dollars per bag.

Enjoy PP...:)

vicbella2
09-17-2006, 09:45 AM
1) For housekeeping, we do a $1 a person/a day. Since we're a family of 4 we leave $4 a day. Since housekeeping comes in the morning we leave $2 and since turndown service comes in the evening we leave another $2 at GCH. When we stay at DLH or on Harbor blvd, we'll just leave $4 in the morning.

2) We've never ordered room service, but I'd guess the 20% included is okay. If you want to give little more then that's fine, if not that's fine too.

3) For bellhop we tip $1 a bag, $2 if the bag is large/heavy.

Have a great stay at the grand. Don't worry too much about tipping, the staff is great no matter what you give them.

SeansMom
09-17-2006, 10:07 AM
1) Do you leave a tip for house keeping? If so how much? Thanks,
Tony

I like to leave $5-$10 for housekeeping on our first day, and then $5 per day afterwards. For turndown, I usually tip $2, but more if I'm asking them to pick up a big mess or come back with clean towels. Usually, I see morning housekeeping as having a harder job. Turndown is usually just emptying the garbage (by my request) and leaving us chocolate :). That's at GCH. At other hotels, it varies by * level of hotel.

rosie
09-17-2006, 10:56 AM
It always angers me when gratuity is included in a service. The whole point was that you decided whether someone did a great job or a poor job and you tipped accordingly. Besides that, I always feel compelled to physically hand a tip to someone (such as a room server) even though I know I've already done so in my payment. It just feels so uncomfortable.
Before anyone calls to my attention that I can just as easily decided not to hand over a tip...I know that...but old habits die hard.
Anyone else with me on this?

SeansMom
09-17-2006, 11:50 AM
It always angers me when gratuity is included in a service. The whole point was that you decided whether someone did a great job or a poor job and you tipped accordingly. Besides that, I always feel compelled to physically hand a tip to someone (such as a room server) even though I know I've already done so in my payment. It just feels so uncomfortable.
Before anyone calls to my attention that I can just as easily decided not to hand over a tip...I know that...but old habits die hard.

100% Last time we were there, we ordered a wonderful breakfast. The server stood there in a very expectant fashion. It was uncomfortable, but I knew a 20% tip had been included, PLUS a service fee for something else.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
We've not stayed at GCH, but, we do leave a tip each day for housekeeping. Normally $3. - $4.00 and it's just the 2 of us. :)

Rockchalker
09-17-2006, 02:45 PM

Restaurants and room services gamble with this practice. We are normally great tippers (20-25+%) but it irritates us to no end when restaurants add this gratuity PLUS the line for ADDITIONAL gratuity. I feel it gives the waitstaff an opportunity of not providing the best service because they already have made their 15-20%.

unoriginal
09-17-2006, 06:25 PM
1) Do you leave a tip for house keeping? If so how much?

2) When you order room service & the 20% tip is included on your bill do you tip an additional amount?

1) Usually $2-$3 a day.

2) Heck no! If a service fee of 18-20% is already included the person delivering the meal gets nothing else. I usually dont tip above 20% anyway. I certainly wont tip 30% or more when I will never see the person again during my meal.

backsthepack
09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
We always tip our maid an average of $5.00 per day. The bellmen get a flat $20.00 (no matter if we have 1 bag or 3). We also tip 20-25% for room service depending on how much we order. This is done at all hotels though, not just when we stay at the resort.

rosie
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
We always tip our maid an average of $5.00 per day. The bellmen get a flat $20.00 (no matter if we have 1 bag or 3). We also tip 20-25% for room service depending on how much we order. This is done at all hotels though, not just when we stay at the resort.

Do you do this even when it says gratuity is included in room service fees? Just Curious.

unoriginal
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Do you do this even when it says gratuity is included in room service fees? Just Curious.

+1

I dont think I have stayed at a hotel lately that didnt include a service/delivery fee on the total overall bill. Do people really add extra above and beyond this? If so, why?

Mom2
09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Wow that seems like a GREAT TIP from you, backsthepack. I wonder if that is the average for staying at a hotel with services. If anyone finds out common etiquette, I am sure we would all like to know. I think when I never tipped the housekeeping, I just didnt think about it, because I am paying $300 a night for a room...you kind of expect some things to be included. Is the pay not good for these employees? I do undertand tipping as a courtesy though, my DH has worked for tips, so we have been there.

backsthepack
09-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Yes, I always include above any pre charged amount. My main reason is this. Anything charged to your room gets put on these peoples checks. They don't get the full amount and it is taxed. So you might as well not be tipping them at all. I know it sounds like a lot, but it isn't that persons fault. Does that make sense? I know they should claim their tips on their taxes, but that is between them and the IRS! I know a lot of people that work for tips. Every night when they go home those tips mean a lot to them.

backsthepack
09-19-2006, 04:50 AM
http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/a/tipping_2.htm

Here is a great link about tipping.

Katlovett
09-19-2006, 07:59 AM
At Best Western, one of my kids was sick and threw up on the bed and in the bathroom. I gave $20 to each of the maids who helped me deal with the messes (one at night and one during the day.) They had been awfully nice about a problem that was really above and beyond their job description.

Normally I tip $5 per day. I don't leave it on the pillow, though; I leave it on the dresser or the table.

JookyG
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm a generous tipper (20-25%), and I always try to tip in cash, so the server can decide whether to report it or not. But it really irritates me when management sees fit to include the gratuity on the bill for a small perty, and I NEVER add any more to the tip. Who am I to argue with a decicion they already made for me? I've never gotten exceptional service when the tip's included anyway. I don't think the servers work as hard for it if it's guaranteed.

rosie
09-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm a generous tipper (20-25%), and I always try to tip in cash, so the server can decide whether to report it or not. But it really irritates me when management sees fit to include the gratuity on the bill for a small perty, and I NEVER add any more to the tip. Who am I to argue with a decicion they already made for me? I've never gotten exceptional service when the tip's included anyway. I don't think the servers work as hard for it if it's guaranteed.

Exactly! When the option of tipping is removed then it's a fee not a tip....

tonytone
09-19-2006, 03:43 PM
...I think when I never tipped the housekeeping, I just didnt think about it, because I am paying $300 a night for a room...you kind of expect some things to be included. Is the pay not good for these employees? I do undertand tipping as a courtesy though, my DH has worked for tips, so we have been there.
If you paid big money for a very nice expensive dinner at a fancy 5-star restaurant, would you not consider tipping the food server because you were "kind of expect(ing) some things to be included" in the meal as well?

And no, the pay is not very good for hotel/motel housekeepers--especially given the physical labor that they are expected to perform...at least not here in the U.S.

Mom2
09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
TonyTone-No need to get upset here...it seems that you are with the 5-Star Hotel comment...of course I would tip the server. Come on now-was that necessary?
As I said I really didnt think about housekeeping before. I guess I am plain flat a horrible guest then!!! :confused: Also, I have heard horror stories about people making a disaster of their rooms, and for the record, I am not one of them. In my room, vacuuming may not even be needed and we do not request that our sheets be chaned nightly, because I prefer to save water and electricity for the hotel. So the cleaning in my room is berely necessary, maybe taking out the trash and tidying up the towels and bathroom a bit. I will be sure to tip from now on, now that it has been brought to my attention...sorry I did not want to offend anyone or start a problem here. No one is perfect and I am sure that I am not the only guest that has never tipped housekeeping or every single person that assists them in a star hotel.

rosie
09-19-2006, 05:09 PM
TonyTone-No need to get upset here...it seems that you are with the 5-Star Hotel comment...of course I would tip the server. Come on now-was that necessary?
As I said I really didnt think about housekeeping before. I guess I am plain flat a horrible guest then!!! :confused: Also, I have heard horror stories about people making a disaster of their rooms, and for the record, I am not one of them. In my room, vacuuming may not even be needed and we do not request that our sheets be chaned nightly, because I prefer to save water and electricity for the hotel. So the cleaning in my room is berely necessary, maybe taking out the trash and tidying up the towels and bathroom a bit. I will be sure to tip from now on, now that it has been brought to my attention...sorry I did not want to offend anyone or start a problem here. No one is perfect and I am sure that I am not the only guest that has never tipped housekeeping or every single person that assists them in a star hotel.

Mom2 you are not, I repeat, not a terrible person. I never used to tip housekeeping simply because I never used to stay at finer hotels. You are right though, paying $120 simply for a room should include that room being cleaned "for free". It's thoughtful to tip, but certainly NOT REQUIRED!!

Mom2
09-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks Rosie for your support. I was sure I wasnt the only one that didnt tip everyone. I do not normally stay at fine hotels, in fact I do not travel for business. So when I save for a Disney Vacation, I spend tons of money to stay at the Grand Caliornian or Paradise Pier. I choose to stay at their hotels over any other now. My loyalty should count for something, but I do agree that the housekeeping is probably underpaid, much like servers are. I will be sure to tip from now on-as much as and when I can. We all drop so much money into that place between the hotels, tickets, food, souveniers, etc etc. Not to mention the cost of gas, etc etc. I guess if I had more money to spare I would definately be tipping more.

rentayenta
09-19-2006, 05:57 PM

I am a former server and bartendar. Did you know that that 15% can be taken off the bill if the server did not do an adequate job deserving of the tip? It has never happened to me but I have seen and heard parties complain that they wouldn't have tipped that much so the manager takes the tip off of the bill. However people who do this should be careful not to pay with a check. :~D ;)

ETA: I always tip generously too. If you get a 15% tip from me you did a crappy job. My average is 25%. :D