PDA

View Full Version : new Mary Poppins show in front of castle

cstephens
09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Last Sunday, we happened to catch a new show in front of the castle, but I'm not sure how long they've been doing it. It's not listed on the Entertainment Times Guide, and I don't know what days and what times it normally runs, but the show we saw started around 1:45pm. There's a band that plays (I couldn't catch what they called themselves, but it sounded something like "The Berties".), and then Mary Poppins and Bert join them. They sing various songs from the film. Here's a picture of Mary and Bert with the band: http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/09-10-06/mary01.jpg.

During one particular well-known song, there is even a visual aid: http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/09-10-06/mary02.jpg.

Later in the show, Mary enlists children to help: http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/09-10-06/mary03.jpg.

It was a lot of fun, and hopefully, Disneyland will start listing it in their Entertainment Guide.

averagedork
09-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Love Mary Poppins. Made me want to work with kids.

disneyochem
09-17-2006, 08:52 AM
OMG! Thanks so much for the heads up! Mary Poppins is my all-time favorite Disney character! Family will be there in November, I have a girls' weekend in October--hope it is still taking place!

SeansMom
09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
I hope this is still happening in November! Thanks for the heads up :).

potzbie
09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I bet it is a "dry run" -- a "test drive."

You know, not all face characters can sing, or act. Therefore, it might be that the resumé of the CastMember included things like workshops and singing lessons. My guess is, whoever is playing Mary Poppins urged management to use her in something more than the average "meet and greet."

If this is true, then management will review the crowd reaction, and either gussy-it-up to fancier proportions and turn it into a real show; or consider it a wash out, or below expectitions, and scrub the project.

You know, there are really only two ways for new things to be introduced:
(1.) Think up something new, and THEN find a CastMemember who can pull it off.
(2.) Find out what CastMembers can do exceeding well, to be trained to do exceedingly well, then THEN think up an event to showcase that talent.

Look at other non-scheduled acts, which we have seen recently.
For example:
I doubt a Disney imagineer said, "Let's have a talking trashcan" and then put ads in the Hollywood trade papers, auditioning singing/acting trashcans; whereupon "PUSH" saw the ad, submitted his resumé and his head shot, and went down to the studio to read sides to a casting director, and beat out dancing washer-dryers, and high-wire acrobatic mixers.

Instead, I think it was the other way around:
PUSH, and/or his agent, his entourage, or his fan club, telephoned the booking agent for Disneyland, and sold the booking agent on the fact that they've got a killer act and sure crowd-pleaser; and the rest is history.
;)
"Put me in, coach! I'm ready to play! Today!" -- John Fogerty, "Centerfield"

PirateSmile
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Yay! I hope it will last awhile.

momto3princesses
09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Haven't caught the Mary Poppins interactive show but last time we were at DL, we were right time/right place for a similar thing with Pinocchio, Wendy and Captain Hook. It was right in front of the fire station shortly after opening. My kids got to play hide and seek with the characters. Pinocchio took my eight year old daughter by the hand and ran off to hide. They ran through the nearest gift shop - in one door and out another. It was THE highlight of her trip.

Is there a name for these interactive shows? Is there a place on mouseplanet where they are listed? It really was neat, and made our day. My daughter then went on to buy up and trade for every Pinocchio pin she could find for her lanyard.