PDA

View Full Version : 13+ hour flight; 5 year old recovery; Target;

Pages : [1] 2

kylieh
09-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi all

We are planning a trip for September 2007 for our DDs 5th birthday, we're from Sydney Australia, and have at least a 13 hour flight - 16 hours if we go the far cheaper option via Auckland. We are currently planning on staying at one of the suites in the Golden Grove area. It will be DH's and DDs first time (but about 20 years for myself).

I've read so many of the posts so far and I've had trouble sleeping each night - yep in excitement for an event 1 year away.

A few questions (did search first...)

1. How long in time from landing to resort area (eg, customs, shuttle, etc). The flights from Sydney/Auckland get in around 3pm. We would be arriving on a Saturday. We realise that we won't be at DL that night, and would need the next day to recover from jet lag at the hotel, looking around the immediate area, pool etc, therefore making the first day in the park also DDs birthday!

2. Can taxis be easily caught from outside supermarkets back to the hotel - one of the reasons we are taking a full kitchen room is that DD has special dietary needs (from preliminary emails to hotels they don't seem to be very accomodating of the dairy-free breakfast). I know that Target is in easy walking distance of where we are planning on staying and has some groceries but we may need a full service supermarket. Or does Target sell fruit/veg, breads, soy milk, etc. A couple of hotels offered a complimentry shopping service but we have to read labels before purchasing anything for DD.

3. I know there will be a lot of walking involved. The stoller hire at DL - what size kids do they take? DD is quite tall already, but I want to make it as easy on her as possible.

Our trip is planned for 9 nights, up to 4 days in DL, probably Legoland and Medievil Times. Currently if we have a big day the next day is written off for DD and she just needs to lie around to recover.

Any assistance you can provide at this early stage will really put my mind at rest.

Thanks

Kylie
Sydney Australia

momuvseven
09-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Kylie,

Hi, sounds like you need another mom to give you some words of advice. The hotels that have kitchens in the Garden Grove area are very nice and I think you will have a wonderful stay there. We have used the grocery shopping service and they did a great job. A taxi to the grocery store should not be more than about $5 each way. The closest is a Food 4 Less but I really prefer the Albertson's that is slightly further away. The hotel used Vons when we stayed there. They could give you directions.
The rental strollers are plenty big for a child of five, six and some seven year olds. Bring some small cot sized blankets so that you can use as a sun shade or to keep her warm if the weather is cool.

I'm not sure of the time from LAX but if you fly into SNA (John Wayne Orange County) it should take about an hour to get your bags and shuttle to the hotel. Rental cars are cheap for us and Orange County is easy to get around. I was last in Sydney during the EXPO and I think if you are used to driving there Orange County will be a cakewalk. To date Sydney is still one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. Years ago it didn't take long to get through customs and what not in LAX, I am sure that nowadays they ask many more questions and look at everything. The drive from LAX is not bad either. We never get lost in the area and I don't even worry about it. We feel very safe driving in the resort areas.

Have a great time and get some sleep. I find everything is very child friendly around the DLR area. You didn't ask but I think Homewood Suites has the nicest pool in the area.

The beach is a must see and only about a fifteen minute drive away. At least rent a car for one day so that you can go and spend some time there. It is really cool to see the Pacific Ocean when you leave Sydney and then again in L.A. area. Really makes you appreciate how big it is.

samkj
09-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Kylie, your daughter should do fine in the DL strollers. It sounds like she has some special needs, Disney is the greatest place to go for that. They will treat her like a princess. To make your daughters trip extra special please stop by City Hall when you enter the park and get a "stroller as wheelchair" guest assistance card. This will enable you to take the stroller in the lines and use alternate entrances when the lines don't acomodate the stroller. My daughter has moderate/severe cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. Disney is the one place we've been that really caters to children with special needs. You will have an amazing trip.

averagedork
09-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Howdy,

One thing that wasn't mentioned was we don't have taxis just strolling the streets (one horrible part of CA). For the grocery store you would have to call from your room and say something like "Hi, I need a taxi from the ________ hotel/suites/ whatever to _________." The taxi company should be nice about it. Now in regards to super markets: I love Food 4 Less. I know that I am saving money by packing my own groceries and such. I don't like their pre-packed salads from like the deli counter, but I feel like I get good deals. But if you want to go to a "real super market" Ralph's is always good. They are cheaper than Albertson's. I am all about groceries on the cheap.

Have fun.

mariafred963
09-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Getting around SO Cal is better in a car. You can get a taxi but you will have to call for it.

Also, if you are heading down to Legoland, it is an 1 1/2 drive, you might consider a hotel in Carlsbad.

In regards to the airport, it will take longer to come from LAX than SNA. Since you are coming in at 3 pm you will hit traffic during rush hour. It took us about an hour from LAX to Disneyland and that was after getting our car.

potterphreak
09-16-2006, 08:26 AM
I do believe the Vons down there delivers groceries. You place your order online and bam! They are there!

Bolivar
09-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I understand the desire for the kitchen; however, for me being right at Disneyland is a huge advantage. I like being able to just run across the street when we get tired or we forgot something. Leaving the hotel just doesn't seem like such an event either because you don't have to think about bringing everything you might need. I have stayed just outside of walking distance and had to use shuttle and I've stayed across the street. I can't street enough how much better across the street is. I don't know of places with full kitchens, but there are resonably priced places with kitchenettes, if that would do.

mistofviolets
09-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I have heard *great* things about Disney's accomodations for dining. My dd has a nut allergy and did fine. Dairy is a fairly common one, and if you call guest relations they should be able to help you plan some meals in the parks.

My 4 y/o used a stroller, but her head hit the sunshade. My friend says her 6 and 8 year olds were able to utilize the strollers...they just looked huge in there :P You don't need dd with you to get the stroller. When we went, it was summer and the stroller rental was outside the entrance. Dh took the girls to get in line and I rented the stroller and met them. Worked out beautifully.

My dd zonks out easily too; and I have some limited mstamina issues. (I guess thats the best way to put it, LOL) We were staying very close to the park, so went from soon after opening until it was crowded and we were tired...then back to the hotel to rest and back to the park for the afternoon mostly to character watch. DCA has a nice waterpark area that my dd found very relaxing. I found myself thinking "We spent 6 hours in the car for her to play in sprinklers"; but its still her second favorite part of the entire trip.

SeansMom
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
You mentioned a full day is too much. I'd consider breaking your day up, and following the advice given here and go early, then head back to your hotel for a break. As Bolivar said, there are some places that are close to DL that have kitchenettes, which may meet your needs. I understand the special dietary needs. There is this place:
Whole Foods Market
14945 Holt Avenue
Tustin, CA 92780
(714) 731-3400
Located near Katella Avenue and Euclid Street
http://www.food-4-less.com
Store Hours Mon-Sun: 9:00am -9:00pm
The store stocks natural & organic foods
For sure they would have soy products.
And don't forget, Disneyland produces a brochure for people with special needs. It's free.

ochibiyo
09-16-2006, 09:02 AM
HI Kylie! I wouldn't worry too much, DLP is great for anyone! I would recommend the Residence Inn. Their kitchen has everything and they also have a free breakfast. I love Food4Less, CHEAP! When you rent the strollers at DL, make sure you bring a thick blanket for them to sit or sleep on. The bottom is hard and my little ones complained about that til we corrected the problem. You will have a blast at Medieval Times, it was a great show! Hopefully your daughter will be the princess of the show! Have a great time!

Opus1guy
09-16-2006, 09:40 AM
1. How long in time from landing to resort area (eg, customs

Greetings! I'm gong to address just a small part of this question, and that's regarding U.S. Customs and Immigration at LAX. I fly International on many airlines into and out of LAX, so I have some experience in this department. So here's my "tip":

If at all possible (if price is in line, of course)...I would really suggest you and your family fly United Airlines to LAX. Reason? Every single other international airline arrives at our Tom Bradley International Terminal. And every single one of those airlines share one Customs and Immigration facility.

And it's a madhouse.

Long, long lines. Chaos. More long, long lines. Dozens of flights off-loading thousands of passengers an hour from all over the world. I hate to say it but I think it's a real shame of our country and our local airport to make all our International arriving passengers endure that mess and nightmare.

Which brings us to United Airlines. United is the only airline at LAX that recognized that mess was unacceptable for their customers...and paid for and funds their own dedicated and exclusive Customs and Immigration facility at their Terminal 6 at LAX. Far away from the madhouse at Bradley International Terminal.

When you arrive LAX on United Airlines...it's usually a breeze entering the country with just your planeload of fellow United passengers...or maybe one other flight of theirs if timing works out by chance. Regardless...there's plenty of government C&I staff to handle everyone with minimal wait and hassle. A very nice and clean, quiet and uncrowded way to enter the country.

NOTE: I believe United's C&I facility closes at 6pm...and then it's off to Bradley even for United flights. But I think the vast majority of United International flights are timed to arrive within operating hours. I know all my Sydney flights have arrived Terminal 6. But keep that in mind when picking flights as some might arrive after the dedicated C&I facility is closed. And make sure the United flight you pick is a real United flight on United metal, and not an Air New Zealand (Star Alliance partner) code-share flight which might say United on your ticket, but is actually an Air New Zealand plane. If it's really an Air New Zealand plane...it's off to Bradley for you.

Anyway...just something to consider if prices turn out to be the same or similar.

I fly LAX-SYD-LAX at least once a year (sometimes more)...so I know the grueling flight you're going to get to enjoy. Regardless of how you get here...hope you have a safe and fun trip! :)

Drince88
09-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Every single other international airline arrives at our Tom Bradley International Terminal. And every single one of those airlines share one Customs and Immigration facility.

I would have put money on my NOT going to the International Terminal when I flew Air France from Tahiti. But, this was about 1.5 years ago. (I KNOW they didn't fly out of that terminal, and it was technically a continuation flight each way, so they had a lot of Tahiti-Paris passengers 'not landing' in the U.S., so they couldn't have moved from one terminal for arrival, and another for take off of the same plane)

Opus1guy
09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I would have put money on my NOT going to the International Terminal when I flew Air France from Tahiti. But, this was about 1.5 years ago. (I KNOW they didn't fly out of that terminal, and it was technically a continuation flight each way, so they had a lot of Tahiti-Paris passengers 'not landing' in the U.S., so they couldn't have moved from one terminal for arrival, and another for take off of the same plane)

It's possible that something has changed. But about 3 years ago when I arrived from Paris on Air France...while our plane parked at Terminal 2 (which is also where Air France departs from)...we were bussed to Bradley for clearance through Customs and Immigration there.

But if what you say is true...it could be that some of the other airlines followed United's lead and installed their own versions of the same in other terminals.

Sorry if I was giving out bum info there. Still...I think the majority go through Bradley...so best to check with your airline to see which facility they "arrive" through.

Drince88
09-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Sorry if I was giving out bum info there. Still...I think the majority go through Bradley...so best to check with your airline to see which facility they "arrive" through.
We actually had a bit of a hike from getting off the plane to the area where we went through customs/immigration, so they could have replaced the bus with the walk.

And I did walk into Bradley while I was waiting for my flight to leave from another terminal, and Bradley terminal was an utter an complete zoo - so I agree, if you can avoid that terminal, it would be a good thing!

samkj
09-16-2006, 01:40 PM
That was excellent advice on the terminals!

stan4d_steph
09-16-2006, 07:12 PM
And make sure the United flight you pick is a real United flight on United metal, and not an Air New Zealand (Star Alliance partner) code-share flight which might say United on your ticket, but is actually an Air New Zealand plane. If it's really an Air New Zealand plane...it's off to Bradley for you.Air NZ does not fly into/out of Bradley. I have flown them many times over the past few years, and it has always been Terminal 2. Here's a map of the terminals at LAX with their respective airlines marked (http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm).

Bolivar
09-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I have gone San Francisco to England or Ireland several times with my kids. That is, depending on if you have a direct or indirect flight, about 13-18 hours and a time change of either 8 or 9 hours depending on the time of year. I have read about adjusting time over the weeks before travel but that has never worked for me. What I find works best is to get a flight that lands early in the morning. Then make sure to sleep on the plane and wake up as it lands. The kids have never had a problem with this and neither have I. My wife has taken melatonin, but that hasn't been enough and has resorted to Tylenol PM.

Then on the day we arrive we force ourselves to stay up all day and go to bed at a normal time that evening. At most we will take a short nap of no more than an hour that day, but we try not to even do that. We are usually pretty wiped out that day of arrival, but the next day we are in pretty good shape and the day after that we are back to normal. Flying west is much harder we find.

So if I were you I would try for a flight that lands first thing in the morning if one is available.

Aussie MouseFan
09-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Hi Kylie...

Being from Sydney myself, and a DLR addict (at least 2 trips per year to satisfy my addiction) I can advise you of the following.

Rent a car... if it is just 3 of you, a mid-size should be fine, and when you total up shuttles costs, taxis, inconvenience of waiting the car works out cheaper.

LA/OC is nothing like Sydney, what they consider to be 1 Block, we would consider it to be 3-4 Blocks, i.e. be prepared for some walking, or if you have a car, a nice quick few minutes here and there.

With a car it does open up a lot of other options for you, aside from the other places you mentioned, i.e. legoland, Medievil Times. Beaches, day trip to San Diego, etc etc.

The Target you are refering to on Harbor Blvd does not have groceries, unless you consider snack bars and chocolates as groceries as my other half does... (here comes a smack to the back of the head). The closest supermarkets that have real food are either Food 4 Less which is West on Katella, or Albertsons on Harbor just near the 22 Freeway. (I think it is the 22).

In regards to the stroller, given your DD will be 5, I have seen some big kids crammed into those strollers at DLR so I doubt if you should have any issues. I think she will be so excited you wont be able to keep her in the stroller anyway.

Hope this is of some help...

going2disneyAZ
09-18-2006, 08:24 AM
I would log onto SAFEWAY.com upon arrival to the hotel. Your groceries will be there the next day.

Bytebear
09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Safeway is not in southern California. I know albertsons.com delivers. Other grocery stores in the area are Vons, Ralphs, and Food4Less. There are other smaller chains, but these should have online websites which you can do initial research, and even order your groceries now and have them delivered the day you arrive. If you still need more info, find local phone numbers and talk directly to the store manager and I am sure he can arrange for your needs.

If you rent a car, this will end up being a lot easier though. Things are pretty spread out down here, and you may find yourself trapped to the schedule of shuttles. Taxis are not like in New York. They are NOT on every corner. You have to call and have them come get you, and they are expensive!!! If you are concerned about driving on LA freeways (and who isn't), take a shuttle or other transport from the airport to your hotel, and then rent a car in Anaheim for local transportation. Then you can avoid freeway driving but can still get around town. There are several car rental outlets around town. Once you get used to California driving, you can venture a bit further.

May I also recommend that since you are coming in the afternoon, if you have the energy, go to Downtown Disney and have dinner. This way you can get a lay of the land without paying to get into the park. There are several nice restaurants to choose from. You can also check out the Grand Californian hotel and get in the Disney spirit.

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!

Bolivar
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Von's is Safeway, or Safeway is Von's however you want to look at it. Safeway.com will deliver in Anaheim.

emmah
09-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi there, I fly into LAX once or twice a year from Sydney, on Qantas, always arriving around 6am; I don't have check-on luggage on my way over, and am usually out of the airport, onto a shuttle, and at the hotel in less than an hour; in November last year I was at the DLH 48 minutes after touchdown. It was amazing. Going the other way is a whole other story - the flights are always about 11pm so need to be at the airport by 8pm and the queues are horrendous to get into security. Last year I waited 90 minutes and didn't even make it inside the building when I freaked out because of my impending deadline; finally I approached a security guard who told me I didn't have to wait but could go straight to the qantas check-in inside and go through security there - they have their own security desk. doh!!! so, if you are flying qantas, keep that in mind!

Opus1guy
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Von's is Safeway, or Safeway is Von's however you want to look at it. Safeway.com will deliver in Anaheim.

Righto. Vons and Vons Pavillion here in SoCal are just Safeway's local grocery store names.

Here in Houston, Texas where I am right now...they are called "Randalls" and "Randalls Flagship" stores. My Vons Club Card works just fine at them, as it does at any Safeway store.

They use other names in other parts of the country, as well.

Way back when...they did call their stores Safeway here in SoCal. But then there were mergers and all that...and they decided to go with Vons as their regional name here. But it's all the same company.

Goosegirl
09-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Kylieh,
I have no suggestions for you as we never fly to DLR and just stay at regular hotels.

BUT........ I was wondering if you used to live in Oregon. I used to have a friend from Australia when I was a little girl and her name was Kylie. She moved back to Australia and her mother's name was Jen I think. Is this you?

mad4mky
09-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Kylieh,
I have no suggestions for you as we never fly to DLR and just stay at regular hotels.

BUT........ I was wondering if you used to live in Oregon. I used to have a friend from Australia when I was a little girl and her name was Kylie. She moved back to Australia and her mother's name was Jen I think. Is this you?

If this turns out to be your old friend...this would be soooo cool. :D A real MousePad moment.
Old childhood friends...meeting again through this site.:D I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!:D