PDA

View Full Version : Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - September 2006 version

Darkbeer
09-15-2006, 09:14 PM
This is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective September 15th, 2006.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and get a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $359 Premium pass, that will be discounted $20 dollars to $339, the cost is 92.876 cents per day, which makes it 22 days worth with the new price.

Therefore for example, if your pass expires 12/1/06, and you would plan to go prior to December 23rd, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2007, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $359, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/08.

With the Deluxe at $239, and $20 off, that makes it $219, and 60 cents per day, and therefore, 33 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 33 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 26 days.

Since the SoCal or SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 33 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 26 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 22 days.

Darkbeer
09-15-2006, 09:14 PM
For those lucky few that have received a renewal notice with the old prices, you can renew at that lower price so long as you do it prior to your renewal date. (Note, if you renew online, you will pay the new higher prices)

Basically the price discount is an extra $10, so a Premium is worth 33 days at the old price, Deluxe with Parking 39 days, and 50 days for a Deluxe.

dohgusgus
09-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks! even though I don't have an AP I plan on getting one once I get my drivers license in November. This is very useful information.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Great info DB. My renewal notice did show the old price. Guess I need to be sure it is mailed in before the expiration date, since you are saying if I renew it online, I am going to have to pay the new price. THANKS!