PDA

View Full Version : How to enter Disney's Dreams Giveaway contest without going to the Parks-Step by Step

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Darkbeer
09-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Starting this Monday, September 18th, 2006, Disney is opening up the alternative means of entry for the Year of a Million Dreams contest (Which really is the 15 months of 1.25 Million Prizes), This post will walk you thru the way to win prizes from the comfort of your own home.

The following is based on the Official Rules, which can be found at this link...

http://www.disneyparks.com/rules (http://www.disneyparks.com/rules)

A couple of things to note, the limit of entering is One per Person per day (that the post office is open), it is not limited to one per household, so you can sign up for each member of the family (including kids of any age).

First off, are you eligible? Folks that work for Disney and their immediate family are not eligible, along with folks associated with the contest. If you are not sure, check the exact info in the link above (Paragraph 1).

Where do you live?.... This contest is open to folks of many countries. If you live in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, you are eligible unless prohibited by state or local law. This step-by-step list is good for those who live in the US, if you live elsewhere, verify the info in the official rules, for example, those living in the U.K. have a different address to send their postcards in.

OK, you are eligible and ready to enter, first thing we need are the supplies.

You are looking at about 400 "postal days" between 9/18/06 and 12/31/07 (no entries on Sundays or Postal Holidays), so you will need about 400 of each of the following for each person in the household you plan to enter.

First off, the Postcards, the best and cheapest option is to buy Postcards from the Post Office that already had the postage placed on them. In the US, the current postal rate is 24 cents for a postcard, the postcards with postage are 26 cents each, and come in packs of 10. I would get about a month at a time ($7.80), this will end up costing you about (unknown if postal rates will go up) $120 for the entire contest (per person).

Buy some self-sticking printer labels from the local Office Supply store.

And of course, a pen.

Go to your word processing program and set up a page to print a full sheet of labels based on the size you got.

You will want the following to print on each label.

Disney Dreams Giveaway
PO Box 8629
Elmhurst, IL 60126-8629

Go ahead and place these sticker on the front of the postcard, underneath the postage, in about the middle of the card.

Then, turn it over, and rotate the card, so that you have the card at 5 inches long (top to bottom). You want to write your info in the opposite direction of the front of the card, as sometimes the post office (and their automated machines) will read the back of the card if it is written with the card only 3 and 1/2 inches tall. This will prevent you from having the card mailed back to you, instead of being sent to Elmhurst.

On the back of the card, fill in the following IN HANDWRITING (Block Printing is the best), this is a common rule in contests, and the Disney Dreams rules say "writing", do NOT use a printed label. (of course, use your full name, complete mailing address including postal code, daytime phone number and date of birth).

John M. Smith

1234 Main Street

Anaheim, CA 92802-2309

(714) 555-1212

02/20/1960

Then separate the cards in groups so you have one Postcard for each member of the family in a stack. Make sure and mail them at the same time every day, as you need to get a postmark for each Postal Day.

So, what to expect if you decided to spend the $120 or so to win.

Well, the odds of winning any prize are about 1 in 60, so you should win about 5 prizes. No guarantees, but statically most folks should get at least 4 prizes during the 15 month period.

What will you win, well, most prizes will be Dream Mouse Ears worth about $12 or the Pin and Lanyard set worth about $23.

We know you won't get a Dream FASTPASS, the after hour pass, the Photo Voucher or the night at Cinderella Castle at WDW or the Disneyland Hotel Suite. The rules clearly state they will substitute prizes if the winner needs to be present at the park to use the prize. So many of the lower level prizes (such as the Dream FASTPASS) will be substituted with Dream Mouse Ears and the Pin and Lanyard set. For things like the Hotel Rooms, you will get a Merchandise Gift Basket, (that might contain a Disney Gift Card) that is worth at least the value of the prize that was actually won.

Of course, for the big prizes like the DVC points, or the 2 week vacation to every Disney Park, you will get that prize (basically any prize that includes the airfare).

So you are basically gambling, but the odds are better than playing the lottery, you will more than likely get just under $100 in prizes for your $120 investment.

But the benefit, you will get an occasional unexpected gift in the mail.

Based on the cost and the prizes, I plan to do this, and also do it for Lisa. Heck, you might get lucky and win a vacation......

Leap for Joy
09-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Darkbeer, if I remember right, the 1 in 60 odds calculation was based on park attendance. If that's the case, the mail-in entries will decrease the probability.

Another piece that might decrease the likelihood of winning by mail would be how Disney will determine when to choose a mail-in entry over a park attendee. If I were designing it, "mail-bag" would be in the list of locations to find winners (along with "bench at 11:42", "SM line at 1:30", etc). In that case, you'd have a better chance of winning while at the parks because you'd be in proximity to more of the locations.

Based on these thoughts, I'll still send mail entries, but probably not every day. :)

rentayenta
09-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Darkbeer, do we have to register online someplace first before sending in our postcards?

Darkbeer
09-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Darkbeer, do we have to register online someplace first before sending in our postcards?

No, the Disney Dreams Giveaway (aka the 15 months of 1.25 million prizes (aka dreams) has no sort of Internet component. You either fill out the postcards and mail them in, or show up at the parks (or Downtown Disney) and hope someone comes up and gives you a prize.

No need to register, but make sure and use "real" names, since if you win a major prize, you will be required to show ID and get a notarized statement that states you are eligible to win (such as not working at Disney, or have a immediate family member that does).

Darkbeer
09-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I scanned an example of a completed Postcard....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1902346

FYI, Wal-Mart had 300 labels at $4, and 750 labels for $9.

By the way, here are the apprioximate odds if you mail in a Postcard on a daily basis from now until 12/31/07.

1 in 2,735 of winning a High level prize (Worth more than $5,000)

1 in 139 of winning a Mid level prize (Worth between $160 and $587)

Should win 7 or 8 Low level Prizes (Worth less than $25) (Calculations are 7.6 prizes).

rph13
09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Darkbeer,
Thanks for all the help on how to enter the dreams giveaway. I mailed off my first postcards today (didn't have everything ready in time for yesterday's mail). :)

minnieme3
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
i hope everyone reads this, ive been looking for all this info. but maybe you shoould only send a couple postcards in so everyone has a chance???!!!:eek:

Darkbeer
09-19-2006, 09:40 AM
i hope everyone reads this, ive been looking for all this info. but maybe you shoould only send a couple postcards in so everyone has a chance???!!!:eek:

Everyone has a chance..... They have the same right to send in ONE postcard per postal DAY like everyone else.

mouse20
09-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Check out this website.... http://adestinations.disney.go.com/media/disneyparks/en_US/html/yomdrules.html?CMP=OTC-VanURLYOMDRulesEng#YOMDPrizesText

It has the answers to any questions.

Darkbeer
09-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Mouse 20....Interesting to note, all your post have been related to the "15 months of 1.25 Million Prizes", in which over 99.9% re low level prizes.....

Do you work for Disney Parks:confused:

Disneyfalcon
09-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Darkbeer.
First let me say, I love your updates. I always look to your posts for reliable information. Thank you also for taking the time to post all the info on Yoamd. I have already begun sending in postcards.
Here's my question. As I'm thinking about the odds of winning through the mail, I wonder if you left out one variable. If I understand this correctly, just like a one in 60 chance of being picked for a prize in the park, there is a one in 60 chance of a mail entry being awarded. But then don't our individual odds go way up? Because once they (the random computer) decide to give out the prize to a mail entry, then they have to pick a mail entry from however many they have? In other words one in 60 for it to be a mail prize, but then 1 in ? for your postcard to be picked out of the mail prizes.
Does that make sense? You have put a lot more thought into this then I have so maybe I'm missing something. Just wondering if you knew what. Thanks again!
Tammy

Darkbeer
09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
^ This is only an educated guess, but I feel that they started to allow postcard entries early for one main reason, they want to get a measure of how many post cards are being sent in. Then they will program the in-park computers to give the folks who mail in postcards the same odds as those in the park. So as an example, they are getting 3,000 postcards a day, and expect 30,000 folks to attend the Disneyland Resort on a weekday. They would program the random computer to select "mail-in" 1 in 11 times to give all possible contestants the same odds. Then they will make adjustments every week or so to equal the amount of mail they are receiving.

The rules state that once a month, drawings will be held from the postcards (stored in separate batches based on the day received) to hand out the prizes that the in-park computer decided were for the mail-in folks.

So if the computer picked a batch of 50 Pin Lanyards to be handed out on October 3rd as for the mail in folks. They will draw 50 postcards from the mail received on October 3rd, and then mail those winners their prizes.

Federal law is pretty clear on this, and the penalties are large. So the folks at Creata will make sure that the contest is going to be as fair and even as possible.

Disneyfalcon
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
That is fascinating Darkbeer! Thank you for figuring all that out. I didn't know that mail-ins were insured the same odds. The scenario you gave is a very reasonable way of doing it!

I have been wondering why they let us mail in so far before the contest started! I was wondering if all the mail ins they get before Oct 1 went into the Oct 1 drawing.

Thank you again!

Darkbeer
09-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I have been wondering why they let us mail in so far before the contest started! I was wondering if all the mail ins they get before Oct 1 went into the Oct 1 drawing.

The rules state (Paragraph 3c) that all entries received between September 18th and the 30th will be the postcards used for the October 1st draw (October 1st is a Sunday). After that, the postcards are placed in batches based on the date received, and will be matched up with the prizes selected for that day by the in-park computers. On Sunday and holidays, they will take the prior 6 days of postcards received and draw from that pool.

Darkbeer
09-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Note: Major Update!!!

Today, Disney updated the official rules...

http://adestinations.disney.go.com/media/disneyparks/en_US/html/yomdrules.html?CMP=OTC-VanURLYOMDRulesEng

They now want a 3.5" x 5" postcard (paragraph 2b)

Based on the rule change, and the USPS official size of Postcards (Minimum size is 3.5" by 5")...

http://postcalc.usps.gov/mailpiecedimensions.asp

I am now recommending that you take the official USPS standard postcard and cut off a 1/2 inch on the left side (based on the postage being in the upper right of the card). I think that Disney will still accept the 3.5 by 5.5 cards, but better safe than sorry.

If you trim, make sure that you do NOT trim more than a half inch in LENGTH, as the postcard must be at least 3.5 by 5 to be accepted by the post office.

rph13
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I hope I don't regret this but all my postcards are addressed and if I start trimming off, I may cut off the address or my info. So for this batch I am going to send them off as is and hope for the best. If I win anything I will let you know. :)

Darkbeer
09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I hope I don't regret this but all my postcards are addressed and if I start trimming off, I may cut off the address or my info. So for this batch I am going to send them off as is and hope for the best. If I win anything I will let you know. :)

I agree, any NEW batches will have the 1/2 inch cut off the left side.

But since Disney made a major mistake in the original rules, by asking for an "undersized" postcard to be used, they need to make some adjustments, at least for the first few weeks, so my original set of postcards are going out as prepared.

But for any NEW postcards I make, I am cutting off the 1/2 inch on the left side to match up with the new rules requirement (3.5" x 5")

Simba001
10-03-2006, 05:25 AM
:confused:
Just curious if anyone has had their 3 x 5 postcards returned from USPS?
Since the minimum is 3.5 x 5 and Disneyland is requesting 3 x 5 I am wondering if they will return them rather than forwarding them on for the contest?
Wish there was a way to get verification of the size....:confused:

Darkbeer
10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
The USPS postcards that they sell are 3.5 by 5.5.

The minimum size for a postcard per USPS regulations is 3.5 by 5

Disney changed the size in the rules about a week after release to 3.5 by 5.

That is why I posted the update in Post 15 recommending that you cut off 1/2 of a inch if you are using the standard USPS postage applied postcards.

Andrew
10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
The USPS postcards that they sell are 3.5 by 5.5.

The minimum size for a postcard per USPS regulations is 3.5 by 5

Disney changed the size in the rules about a week after release to 3.5 by 5.

That is why I posted the update in Post 15 recommending that you cut off 1/2 of a inch if you are using the standard USPS postage applied postcards.
Sheesh, is this thing run by Ken Blackwell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Blackwell)?

Simba001
10-04-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks for your reply Darkbeer. I went back and checked your link to the update about the postcard size and I am still seeing that in Official Rules paragraph 2b it is stating a 3" x 5" postcard. Is there another link I am missing?
Sorry, Andrew Just wanting to make sure I have the correct info.

Darkbeer
10-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks for your reply Darkbeer. I went back and checked your link to the update about the postcard size and I am still seeing that in Official Rules paragraph 2b it is stating a 3" x 5" postcard. Is there another link I am missing?
Sorry, Andrew Just wanting to make sure I have the correct info.

The Original rules said "3 by 5" when they first went up

Then about a week later, it got changed to "3.5 by 5"

Now in the last day or two, it got changed back to "3 by 5"

Since the USPS will NOT accept 3 by 5 postcards, I am using the USPS postcard and trimming off 1/2" off the left side (the "postage" being on the right) and matching the USPS minimum size (3.5 by 5).

My guess, someone updated the Disney website, and used the old version, and that it will be changed in a day or two.....

OCCOBRA
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi Darkbeer. I have been mailing my postcard everyday and have not seen anything yet. Just curious have you or anyone else won anything so far using the postcards? Thanks for all your help.

Darkbeer
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi Darkbeer. I have been mailing my postcard everyday and have not seen anything yet. Just curious have you or anyone else won anything so far using the postcards? Thanks for all your help.

Based on the rules, the first drawing won't be held until November 20th.

That drawing will be for all the prizes selected by the random computer program for "Mail-in entries" in October. So the first prizes won't be received until early December.

Then on or around December 20th, they will draw for the November prizes...

I am hoping that folks that win something post the info online, but you still have more than a month before it will happen....

I just bought a second set of 60 postcards (about a months supply for me and Lisa).

Let me quote the rule section re the drawings...

3 c.

If, on any given day, the mail-in entry pool is randomly selected: the winner(s) of the applicable prize(s) will be determined at random from among all eligible mail-in entries received on the applicable day. All eligible mail-in entries will be bundled and bagged on the date received, except that eligible mail-in entries received between September 18, 2006 and September 30, 2006 will be deemed to have been received on October 1, 2006 and mail-in entries received between December 31, 2007 and January 14, 2008 will be deemed to have been received on December 31, 2007. Also, for Sundays and U.S. postal holidays on which Disney Properties are open, all eligible mail-in entries received during the prior six (6) mail delivery days will be included in the Sunday or holiday (as applicable) prize selection pool. Mail received in the UK on a U.S. postal holiday will be included in the U.S. postal holiday prize selection pool along with the prior six (6) mail delivery days. For UK postal holidays on which Disney Properties are open, all eligible mail-in entries received at the UK postal address for this Giveaway on the day after the UK postal holiday will also be included in the prize selection pool on the day of that UK postal holiday. Please note that the U.S. and UK holiday calendar will govern this Giveaway. On approximately the 20th day of each month during the Giveaway Period, and on or about January 20, 2008, Marketing Resources, Inc., an independent judging organization engaged by Creata, will conduct random drawings at Marketing Resources, Inc.'s offices in Elmhurst, Illinois to award the prize(s) for each of the days of the immediately preceding month for which mail-in entrants were to be awarded a prize(s). Each drawing will be from among all eligible mail-in entries received on or allocated to the day for which the drawing is taking place. Potential winners from the mail-in entry pool will be notified by mail or telephone (at Sponsor's sole discretion) within approximately fifty five (55) days after each monthly drawing. If a prize requiring winner to be present at a Disney Property is designated for award (such as a DREAM FASTPASS badge or the one-night stay at the Cinderella Castle Suite), a winner entering via mail will receive an alternate prize of comparable or greater approximate retail value as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, such as a special edition pin and lanyard, a special edition Dream Mouse Ears or a merchandise gift basket (which may include a Disney Gift Card).

thmar
10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
I had missed the part that said "minors" could win...thanks!