PDA

View Full Version : Wildfires near Grapevine? [I-5]

sjcivilady
09-15-2006, 08:22 PM
I heard that I-5 was closed due to wildfires near the grapevine area. Anyone in the area know for sure? I couldn't find it on the CHP website. We're coming down on Monday. Thanks! Joan

Goosegirl
09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know about now. But when we went down in July, we drove through fires on I-5 and on the Grapevine. I am not sure how you would find out, since we did not know before we left. And it was not being reported on the radio stations locally.

BlkPearlCptn
09-15-2006, 08:41 PM
According to our local news (Fresno area), the I-5 was closed (both N and S) over the grapevine yesterday and this morning. Check CHP Road Conditions, they are very up to date. You can still get around by going through Tahachapi (sp) and the back way.

Have fun on your trip and drive safe!

MammaSilva
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Ummmm I JUST finished the drive from Nor Cal to so cal and the grapevine is totally 100 percent open and traffic was fine...we didn't hit 'city traffic' til we were on the 210

sjcivilady
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
thanks! that's great news!

Osky
09-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Friday morning at about 2:30AM, it was reduced to one lane southbound. They seemed to be staging equipment and stuff in the closed lanes.

sjcivilady
09-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Ummmm I JUST finished the drive from Nor Cal to so cal and the grapevine is totally 100 percent open and traffic was fine...we didn't hit 'city traffic' til we were on the 210
I was planning on taking the 210, then hwy 57 over to Anaheim. Hoping to miss the LA traffic - we are taking off from Stockton area about 7 am. Do you think this is a better route than straight down I-5? Joan

MammaSilva
09-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I have no idea if that's a better way to the park....hopefully someone else local will chime in for you. I go the 210 to the 57 to the 10 to the 15 to get to Corona, then when I go to the park from Corona, I just do the 91 down to the one that says go this way LOL sorry I can't remember the number right now..then I get off on Ball, but tomorrow I'm following Darkbeers advice and just staying on the 91 to the 5 south then getting off on Disney drive to the parking structure.

cariacros
09-16-2006, 12:11 PM
We came home from Disneyland Tuesday afternoon and the Grapevine was closed in both directions due to the Pryamid Lake fires. We stopped at Wal mart in Santa Clarita to get a map. We then took 14 to 58? to 99, took alot longer to get home but was a change of scenery from the usual drive. Lots of people in Mohave doing the same thing. One couple was stuck on the Grapevine for 3 1/2 hours until they got detoured.
We only thought we had to worry about snow closing the Grapevine.
We took pictures of the fire on the way down Saturday, it was very smokey through there and you could see the actual flames from the fire.

Carrie

unoriginal
09-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Just a heads up about the weather in SoCal. They have been predicting Santa Ana winds for the next couple days. Which means that the wind goes from the desert out to the sea and usually means warm-hot and dry conditions. If you need to take I-5 down you better double check about the fire.

ghoofie
09-16-2006, 02:27 PM
We drove up I-5 yesterday and all lanes were open and traffic was normal speeds both directions.

unoriginal
09-16-2006, 03:41 PM
And the weather was cool and overcast, correct? Well that has now moved on. There is a red flag warning for SoCal from Sunday morning until Monday evening which means there will be a lot of wind and very low humidity. Perfect for the fire to flare up again.

Alex S.
09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Drove south to Anaheim this morning. All lanes were open all the way through the Grapevine. One small smoking patch was still visible from the freeway but everything else (in sight) was out.

mistofviolets
09-16-2006, 06:21 PM
How do we get updates on the wildfire?

My dh has to go down to get our car (we lost our radiator and half the engine on the Grapevine almost a month ago) and was hoping to go in the next few days. Since its in castaic, I don't think he can really avoid I5...and really don't want him stuck in traffic too terribly long!

Koala Gurl
09-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Try nbc4.tv (our local NBC channel.) I guess since this is a Disney board, I should recommend www.abc7.com. :)

As of today, the 5 is 100% open.

These new winds typically come out of the East towards the ocean, so the fire in theory would be moving away from the 5 freeway (which they are predicting.) So you should be OK, but definitely check!

Alex S.
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Don't rely on the California Highway Patrol road conditions web site. I checked this morning before leaving (as well as last night) and it still said southbound was down to two lanes at points. Information apparently well out of date.