PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln's Fate

Pages : [1] 2

Doug
09-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Would it be impossible to have both exhibits?

bradk
09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
both meaning.... what's there now and lincoln? or lincoln and the office?

wardkimballfan
09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
I believe President Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater and later died, if I recall correctly...

dohgusgus
09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I believe President Lincoln was shot in Ford's Theater and later died, if I recall correctly...

HaHa :rolleyes: . I have never seen Pres. Lincoln at DLR but I did see it at WDW and the way my mom explained DL's version, I really want to see it!

09-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Would it be impossible to have both exhibits?

The original version and today's version? That's a lot o' Lincoln, IMO.

Doug
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
What I mean, is, have the 50th exhibit and Lincoln......... is this not possible?

bradk
09-15-2006, 11:21 AM
not the movie i'd imagine.

i'm curious as to what the rest of the opera house will be. wasn't the office shipped to WDW to be displayed there at MGM? are they getting it back? would that close the MGM exhibit?

SoCalDisneyLover
09-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Just like Osama went from "We're Going To Do EVERYTHING We Can To Find And Capture Osama." to "Osama Who? He's Really Not That Important A Guy." - King george

In this case it will be....."We're Bringing Back The Lincoln Exhibit After The 50th Celebration." to "Lincoln Who? He's Been Dead For Over A Century, And Is Outdated, So We Won't Be Bringing Him Back. Even Though We Promised We Would." - Disney Corporate Whore

JookyG
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
What I mean, is, have the 50th exhibit and Lincoln......... is this not possible?

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't see why the movie screen couldn't just conceal Lincoln for alternate showings. Would they put the headphones back? That would be cool, they could give Steve Martin a haircut too. Great Haircuts with Steve Martin.

09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Great Haircuts with Steve Martin.

If only it were with Whoopi Goldberg ... oh well.

Alex S.
09-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Technically, if it were what they wanted to do, it shouldn't be that hard to switch between Lincoln and the Steve Martin movie. The Lincoln animatronic, so far as I know, hasn't been removed. It is still there behind the movie screen (that was the originally announced plan and I never heard that anything different happened).

Easy enough to just not issue headphones for some shows, leave the screen down and then show Steve Martin, in the next show issue the headphones, and do the Lincoln show. Some stage designing might have to be tweaked.

That would also be a pretty confusing guests experience and I don't think it would be a great idea. Out in the lobby the exhibits couldn't easily coexist and there definitely isn't room for both the Capitol Building model and the Disneyland model.

Monte Cristo
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Just like Osama went from "We're Going To Do EVERYTHING We Can To Find And Capture Osama." to "Osama Who? He's Really Not That Important A Guy." - King george

Is that really necessary? Who cares what your politics are on this board? We come here to get away from that stuff.

It's just obnoxious. I wish folks like you would come to understand two things:

1.) Not everyone agrees with you, thus injecting politics in an area where it's not being discussed is only inviting trouble.
2.) There are parts of life where you really don't need to wear your politics on your sleeve.

potzbie
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I still like the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Is it too "low tech" for 2006?
Well, yes, an argument COULD be made so.
Audio-Animatronics of the 1980s probably is not the best investment for entertaining audiences in the 2000s.

But I still remember the ooh-ahh effect, of the original setting, when you enter the threater, see a silouetted figure sitting in a chair, up there on stage, and after some music, and after the spotlight starts to come up, THE FIGURE STANDS UP BY ITSELF --- and begins to speak!

I wish the "newbies" could have seen that effect!
Just awesome. Awesome.

09-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I wish the "newbies" could have seen that effect!
Just awesome. Awesome.

I actually thought it looked pretty pneumatic. The hands were always very good, though.

wardkimballfan
09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
If only it were with Whoopi Goldberg ... oh well.:confused: You want to give Whoopi Goldberg a haircut?

Disney Village
09-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Is that really necessary? Who cares what your politics are on this board? We come here to get away from that stuff.

Amen to that! The Lounge is a perfectly good place to discuss politics.

Doug
09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
One of the CM's said that the office is still back there...

The exhibit at MGM is permanent (according to the CM there that I talk to when I was there in April)... two copies of his office?

not the movie i'd imagine.

i'm curious as to what the rest of the opera house will be. wasn't the office shipped to WDW to be displayed there at MGM? are they getting it back? would that close the MGM exhibit?

Drince88
09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
two copies of his office?
Formal office and working office, so he HAD two offices.

Maus
09-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Why is the 50th exhibit on the Disneyland.com refurb list this week? I thought they were leaving it in place for awhile.

Alex S.
09-16-2006, 06:41 PM
They are. They are replacing the carpet.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-16-2006, 07:23 PM
SO....would it be improper to ask if Mr. Lincoln will be up and running again? Since the 50th is ending? (I mean, there's been so much derail in here...I hate to discuss the topic!) :~D

potzbie
09-16-2006, 09:08 PM
[...] would it be improper to ask if Mr. Lincoln will be up and running [...]?

Interesting compromise...

• While maintenance is re-doing the red carpet inside the Opera House, have Mr. Lincoln do a "meet-and-greet" photo op ...

• Or, replace Maynard as the official CastMember working Main Street crowd control ...

Do you think he (Mr. Lincoln) would mind?
:) ;)

It's not a UNION thing, because everyone knows that Abe Lincoln is pro-Union!
:D :D :D

Stevebp
09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I recently emailed Disneyland about if there were any plans to bring back Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln once The First 50 Magical Years show ends with the closer of the 50th Anniversary overlay. Here is a typical Disney reply...

9/20/2006

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Regretfully, the information you have requested has yet to be
determined. You are invited to contact us again in the near future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit
will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Linda
DISNEYLAND® Resort
Guest Communications

To me Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln minus the headphones ( binaural sound via a headset system) is a classic and one that Walt Disney never wanted to be removed for any reason, so I ask what is your option of this attraction and do you think or know (something Disney will not comment on at this time) if it will be back; that and the offices of Walt Disney that we loaned to Walt Disney World some years ago that were in the lobby of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln.

Steve

Stevebp
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Most of the postings were humorous but I did email Disneyland Guest Communications and here is the reply

9/20/2006

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort.

Regretfully, the information you have requested has yet to be
determined. You are invited to contact us again in the near future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. We hope you will have the
opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and trust your visit
will be pleasant in all regards.

Sincerely,

Linda
DISNEYLAND® Resort
Guest Communications

Personally I would like to see the classic one return with the displays of Walt Disney's offices in the lobby ( one was on loan at Walt Disney World and we should have it back in its true home)

Steve

Pat-n-Eil
09-20-2006, 02:53 PM

It's just obnoxious. I wish folks like you would come to understand two things:

1.) Not everyone agrees with you, thus injecting politics in an area where it's not being discussed is only inviting trouble.
2.) There are parts of life where you really don't need to wear your politics on your sleeve.
+1