PDA

View Full Version : Does Disneyland still reward the First Family to enter the gates?

MikysGirl
09-13-2006, 09:03 AM
On my last trip in mid August 2005, I heard a lot about the First Family to enter the gates received special treatment (like a Free Lunch and Photo). I think I was also a witness to this on one of the days my DBF and I were able to get up early enough. My family and I are going in a few days :D YAY!! I told my mom about this and she doesn't believe me entirely.

Does it still exist? Or was I imagining things.
If it does exist who does it apply to (age limit) and on what days?

Any info would be great and to be completely honest, I know that my family is just too lazy to get out of bed early enough to be the First Family to enter the greats!

Thanks!

DangerMouse
09-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Hmmmmm, if that were true, I should have had a lot of free lunches by now! We always try to be the first in one of the lines in the morning. The CMs do pick one family to be the "opening family". They get to go inside the gates and do the official countdown to opening with the CM. We've never gotten this privilege even though we are often times first at the gates in the morning. I'm not sure of anything else the opening family receives besides the privelege to be in the gates first and to do the countdown. Perhaps a free photo? That's just a guess, though.

SDMom
09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
On one of our trips last March we were the first family in line. My mistake I had the open time wrong. We got to lead the countdown and start the "let the magic begin" chant. After that, they took our picture and gave us a coupon for a free 5X7. That was it, no lunch. The picture was fun though - we all looked half asleep.

bradk
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
usually (forgive me, i don't know his name), it's this older, short guy that picks the family out from those who are already there. it never goes by who's there first, but you have to be there early to be considered. i've seen him pick a family in one line that's like 3 families back. it's just whoever he has a vibe on.

mystycalchyk
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, it's definitely not the 'first', as we have been the first many many times. It's who fits their profile.

*teensy bit bitter*

coronado_g
09-13-2006, 04:02 PM
And what is the definition of "family"? Would an alternate lifestyle family be considered or chosen? Just wondering....

bradk
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
i think it requires kids for one.

usually it's not just a mom, dad and 2.5 kids. when i've seen the family, it's been an extended group. i've even seen an adult and her mother join another family.

i can't say if a gay couple has ever been chosen or not, but i absolutely don't think that aspect would come into play.

DangerMouse
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
usually (forgive me, i don't know his name), it's this older, short guy.

That's the guy. I'm 90% sure his name is Lou, and he is WONDERFUL at getting the crowd going for the park opening. He is the beginning of the Disney magic every day.

Malcon10t
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Like the other posters have said, there is an "Opening Family", but I have never heard they get lunch and photos.

IdahoMike
09-14-2006, 07:03 PM
The guy that was doing it in June each morning we went was named "Cap". Not sure what his real name is (Captain? LOL)

I Heart Disneyland!
09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
And what is the definition of "family"? Would an alternate lifestyle family be considered or chosen? Just wondering....

I'd sure hope so! What about folks whose kids are already grown and don't go to DL with them anymore? We probably don't fit the "family" they are looking for. :rolleyes:

Pirate Princess
09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Single mom's with one kid are out too.... maybe I'll rent a "real family" (ugh) when I go next time and we can be considered for the opening family, or the family on the parade float, or whatever else is going on for the day. :rolleyes:

Opus1guy
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
The guy that was doing it in June each morning we went was named "Cap". Not sure what his real name is (Captain? LOL)

Yep. Cap's been there for years. A real old-timer. Nice guy.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Yep. Cap's been there for years. A real old-timer. Nice guy.

Can you throw in a good word for me? ;) ;)