PDA

View Full Version : It's DISNEYLAND, . . .Because Walt said so!

JCLowesman
09-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Ok, Mr. Rasulo. I know you are listening. Here's the deal. Once upon a time there was a man from the midwest called Walt Disney. He was very clever and very creative. He was also very smart. Smart enough to create an industry.

The begining of this industry was a theme park which he very idealisticly named Disneyland. When his dream grew too big for just one park, he planned another in Florida. He didn't live to see that park, but his brother made sure that the world knew who the dreamer behind it was by naming it Walt Disney World.

Several decades and many parks later (each with an individual name tied to Walt's Dream) you come along and try to bury the individuality by re-branding them Disney Parks. As Mr. Lutz at MiceAge so aptly put it, "You go to Disneyland, or Paris, not a Disney Park or a city in France."

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel and start paying attention to your audience. Make Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and all the other individual parks the best they can be as themselves. Don't lump them together. GM, Ford and all of the other automakers have individual models. You don't just but a Ford Car, you buy a Mustang.

Make them good, don't make them the same!:mad:

AVP
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I haven't read whatever article you're referring to, but I have to assume that this has something to do with the "Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True" merchandise that is being offered at the Disneyland Resort.

I'm the first person to jump on the "each park deserves its own merchandise" bandwagon, but there's probably an entire collection of merchandise you haven't seen yet.

Yes, there is merchandise being sold at DCA and the World of Disney store that reads "Disney Parks: Where Dreams Come True." We even ran a photo of it in a recent Park Update.

However, if you were to venture inside Disneyland, you'd see that the merchandise being sold THERE actually reads "Disneyland Resort: Where Dreams Come True"

Here's a photo:

Adult t-shirt (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/custom/productzoom/11079376L.jpg)

a kids logo (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/custom/productzoom/11074401L.jpg)

a womens logo (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/custom/productzoom/11085544L.jpg)

and there's more - a frame, a mug, a keychain and magnet and box of candy and all the stuff you expect from a merchandise collection.

For whatever reason, the Disneyland logo stuff is being sold only inside Disneyland, and the generic logo is being offered inside DCA and the World of Disney. But there are TWO collections.

AVP

Darkbeer
09-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I found the Disneyland Resort with the Dreams logo stuff at Greetings From California in DCA.....

And the Disney Parks stuff at Star Traders in Disneyland....

AVP
09-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I found the Disneyland Resort with the Dreams logo stuff at Greetings From California in DCA.....

And the Disney Parks stuff at Star Traders in Disneyland....I was there they day they first put it out, so it's likely spread since then. But the fact remains that there ARE two logos - it's not like Disneyland was completely forgotten this year.

AVP

I Heart Disneyland!
09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
The linkys don't work AVP. :(

darph nader
09-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Mr. Rasulo,I believe you DO NOT care about John Q Public. Just the bottom line and your "BONUS". If you don't like it,TOUGH.

please feel free to pm me.

Signed John Q. Public.

I'm sorry,it's late,and I'm tired.

The old man
09-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Ok, Mr. Rasulo. I know you are listening. Here's the deal. Once upon a time there was a man from the midwest called Walt Disney. He was very clever and very creative. He was also very smart. Smart enough to create an industry.

The begining of this industry was a theme park which he very idealisticly named Disneyland. When his dream grew too big for just one park, he planned another in Florida. He didn't live to see that park, but his brother made sure that the world knew who the dreamer behind it was by naming it Walt Disney World.

Several decades and many parks later (each with an individual name tied to Walt's Dream) you come along and try to bury the individuality by re-branding them Disney Parks. As Mr. Lutz at MiceAge so aptly put it, "You go to Disneyland, or Paris, not a Disney Park or a city in France."

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel and start paying attention to your audience. Make Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and all the other individual parks the best they can be as themselves. Don't lump them together. GM, Ford and all of the other automakers have individual models. You don't just but a Ford Car, you buy a Mustang.

Make them good, don't make them the same!:mad:
Disclaimer: I am attacking the form of the message, not the messenger.

I hope this isn't really meant to be read by Mr. Rasulo. Between the spelling mistakes, grammar errors and unclear sentences I can't really understand what you're trying to say. What do you think he would get out of it?

MrsPooh
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
AVP, thanks for letting us know that there are DL items sold in DL. (Darkbeer too!)

I wasn't about to buy any of that other stuff!

geoffa
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Good. Put your cards away IHD!

cstephens
09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I like the new design, though I'm probably not going to buy any of it.

I'm all for the park-specific merchandise, but I don't mind the generic one as long as there are specific ones as well. I really like the DL tote bag, though, and I've had to convince myself that I don't need another tote bag.

jMom
09-14-2006, 08:25 PM

Do you have popup blockers enabled? This might be why you can't open some of the posted links ...

Hoppypooh
09-15-2006, 08:17 AM
I was there they day they first put it out, so it's likely spread since then. But the fact remains that there ARE two logos - it's not like Disneyland was completely forgotten this year.

AVP

Me too! In fact the CM told me I was the very first person to buy a "Disneyland - Where Dreams Come True" t-shirt at Greetings from California at DCA.

Another Dimension
09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
With the outrageous prices Disney charges for clothing, I don't really care what their merch says on it anymore at all.

If something nice is sanely Character Warehouse or Company D priced
-and- I like the color, logo and design, I'll but it for myself or as a gift.

Otherwise, I'm seeing too many years of escalating greed for my liking and spending. I know what mass design, manufacturing, distro and display costs on a wide scale, even with Disney's world-wide corporate claws.
I'm absolutely not buying Iger, Rasulo and Eisner's Ghost any more gold plated shark tanks.

DIY shirts and other merch seem to be much much much better made by fans and as crafts anyway. Some of the MA teams designs are far better looking, eye catching and magical than the cheese the mouse has been baiting the trap people with.